The newsroom season 3

7,568 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by PatAg
oragator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Premiere was tonight. Thought it was solid, it didn't seem to have the full Sorkin feel but it was probably because they had a ton to set up for the season. Looks like a good storyline(s) though.
Law361
ChipFTAC01
AG
Thought the same. Not a lot of meat, a lot of just exposition. Still, should be good.
jabberwalkie09
AG
I think it will be interesting to see where Neal's storyline plays out. I'm pretty sure it will have to do with Edward Snowden/NSA scandal, but I think the important detail that Will pointed out will make it slightly more interesting.
Token
AG
that was a great episode
ChipFTAC01
AG
No, THAT was a great episode. Full of Sorkin-y goodness.
Law361
AG
The ending was fantastic. I also love the banter between don and Sloan.
schmendeler
AG
really enjoyed last night's episode. I know it's a fake news room set, but the scene with the FBI crawling all over a place that's supposed to be free from government interference was surprisingly upsetting.
CypressAg13
AG
Just got caught up on this week's episode. I was afraid that after the random proposal at the end of season 2, the quality of this season would go down. I'm happy to see that (at least so far) the show isn't skipping a beat.
oragator
The interview with Toby was one of my favorite moments ever on that show .
speaking of which, what is up with them raiding the office cast?
Law361
AG
Everybody catch the a&m reference from that asst attorney general? About him playing fullback at a&m and losing to Nebraska every year? Is that even factual? Did we play Nebraska in the 70s or 80s for 4 years in a row?
boy09
AG
quote:
Is that even factual? Did we play Nebraska in the 70s or 80s for 4 years in a row?
No. This show has lost all credibility.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I had to pause it and talk my way through it for a minute to see if they screwed up, or there was something I missed. I'm sure they used "A&M" to mean a generic A&M school, rather than Texas A&M. If he would have said, "I went to Kansas and we lost to Nebraska 4 years in a row", then that would be a more definitive data point.

Also:

1. A&M has never played Nebraska 4 years in a row (nor 4 out of 5)
2. I doubt Nebraska has played 4 years in a row against Florida A&M or Alabama A&M.

So we must conclude that Aaron Sorkin hates the Aggies and is a liberal dumbass.
Duncan Idaho
quote:

So we must conclude that Aaron Sorkin hates the Aggies and is a liberal dumbass.

Is picadillo posting over here?
ChipFTAC01
AG
quote:
quote:

Is picadillo posting over here?
Ha, it was a joke
schmendeler
AG
Another good episode. Bj Novak really knows how to play a dick.
spadilly
S
His thoughts about having a Danny Glover channel cracked me up.
Sounded exactly like something that he would have said during his WUPHF days in Scranton.
HoustonAg05
AG
Well that... Was a complete Sorkgasm
nai06
AG
really liking this season so far. Olivia Munn is great in her role as Sloan.
ChipFTAC01
AG
We've got to go back and watch it this week. My mother-in-law was over while we had it on and she can't help but to talk through a movie or television show. I swear I missed half the episode.
spadilly
S
And thanks to Jim we now have our Sorkin technology rant.
75AG
AG
Tonight's episode - just wow. Pure greatness!
ChipFTAC01
AG
I can't believe this is already ending. This season has only been what, 5 episodes?
ChipFTAC01
AG
I did call that his roommate was a figment of his imagination. I missed the fact that it was his dad.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Tonight's episode was awesome. Sloan was great, it was almost like she was emulating Will.
oragator
Probably the best episode in the whole series, really a shame it has to end.
I literally has a shudder go through me when she told him the news at the end.
Just hope next week doesn't get too schmaltzy and stays true to the series.
TCTTS
AG
You guys can't be serious. That was one of the worst episodes of a cable drama I've seen in years.

Sloan owning that guy on national television was pretty great, but everything else was horrible. The Maggie and Jim story played like a bad sitcom, Don rapesplaining to the Veep daughter felt really icky, and the opening chords of "Oh Shenandoah" dramatically erupting as Skinner hit his head and it switched to slo-mo was so, incredibly, I-can't-believe-they're-really-doing-this bad in the hokiest way imaginable. This episode was like a parody of The Newsroom in the worse possible way.

Can you guys really not see how sanctimonious it was? This was bad, bad, bad TV. I love Sorkin, but with only one episode left, this was him at his absolute, preachiest worse.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Just hope next week doesn't get too schmaltzy and stays true to the series.

I've thoroughly enjoyed this show from beginning to end, but this sentence hurts my brain.
TCTTS
AG
Sh*t is definitely starting to hit the fan...

The Newsroom Had a Campus Rape Subplot. It Was Not Well-Received
oragator
quote:
You guys can't be serious. That was one of the worst episodes of a cable drama I've seen in years.

Sloan owning that guy on national television was pretty great, but everything else was horrible. The Maggie and Jim story played like a bad sitcom, Don rapesplaining to the Veep daughter felt really icky, and the opening chords of "Oh Shenandoah" dramatically erupting as Skinner hit his head and it switched to slo-mo was so, incredibly, I-can't-believe-they're-really-doing-this bad in the hokiest way imaginable. This episode was like a parody of The Newsroom in the worse possible way.

Can you guys really not see how sanctimonious this was? This was bad, bad, bad TV. I love Sorkin, but with only one episode left, this was him at his absolute, preachiest worse.

The show has always been sanctimonious and preachy, didn't think this was much different. The only difference is that they are starting to permanently tie up story lines and there is a formulaic element to that, but I think most everyone expected it. The ironic thing though is that this episode was directed by Paul Lieberstein(Toby from the Office). Wouldn't see him as the guy to take it over the top.
By the way, right now the episode has an admittedly early 9.7 score on IMDB, so it was received really well.
TCTTS
AG
I'll take sound, logical arguments over IMDb mouth breathers any day of the week.
Token
AG
quote:
Tonight's episode - just wow. Pure greatness!
amen
TCTTS
AG
And it's not the tying up of story lines that bothered me (at all). From a purely technical standpoint, the handling of Skinner's death was just plain cringeworthy. The over-the-top music, the sudden switch to slo-mo, the not-so-subtle subtext (the internet killed him!), etc. It felt like the end to a "shocking" '90s network drama.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:

Can you guys really not see how sanctimonious it was? This was bad, bad, bad TV. I love Sorkin, but with only one episode left, this was him at his absolute, preachiest worse.

I realized how sanctimonious the episode was. Don's whole speech about why she shouldn't go on the air and vigilante speech was just i don't know... Not that great. Jim and Maggie was going to be terrible. I've seen worse t.v. The highlight of the episode was Sloan.
boy09
AG
quote:
And it's not the tying up of story lines that bothered me (at all). From a purely technical standpoint, the handling of Skinner's death was just plain cringeworthy. The over-the-top music, the sudden switch to slo-mo, the not-so-subtle subtext (the internet killed him!), etc. It felt like the end to a "shocking" '90s network drama.
You pay attention to a lot more little things than I do...
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.