BIRDMAN

1,296 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by OkinTexas
OldArmy71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This film is a darkly comic satire of both movies and theater and of the supposed rift between blockbuster schlock and true art. As a backstage look at actors and their anxieties and failed personal lives, it reminded me of The Entertainer and The Dresser.

The movie stars Michael Keaton in a self-referential role as a movie actor who became a major star twenty years before as the action hero Birdman, but who has fallen on hard times and has come to redeem himself as an actor by starring on Broadway in a work by Raymond Carver ("What We Talk About When We Talk About Love") that he has adapted for the stage and is directing, as well. He is tormented by a voice in his head--his alter ego, Birdman, fed up with the effete snobbishness of the theater. His daughter, who is working as his assistant, is just out of rehab; his girlfriend thinks she's pregnant; his ex-wife is on scene; he has hired a difficult but "name" actor (Edward Norton) to help fill the seats.

The movie is shot in such a way that it gives the sense of being one long take, except for a bit at the beginning and at the end, an interesting approach that has the disadvantage of dragging us through the narrow byways of backstage at the St. James theater in NYC.

There are some hilarious parts in this movie. It is exceptionally well-acted by all concerned. It teeters between magical realism and a study in insanity throughout, and for me loses that balance with a thud at the very end. The journey there is well worth it, however; I very much recommend it.
Mustang1
AG
Anyone else seen this one yet?
Seven Psycho Ags
There are one or two other threads but not much discussion. I personally thought it was great. The way it was edited to (mostly) look like one long take was sweet. My only complaint is for the first half of the movie I kept finding myself distracted by trying to figure out where the cuts were (that's my problem though not the movie's)

The editing and acting seemed super appropriate since the movie was about the production of a play. In his Daily Show interview, Zach Gallifinakis (Sp?) said that during long takes he could hear the actors walking down the hallways towards him and he would mildly panic about screwing up the take.

Michael Keaton was appropriate for obvious reasons
Know Your Enemy
AG
I had the same issue with trying to figure out where the edits were.
Swarely
I thought this was about Harvey Birdman
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Just got back from seeing this with some friends.
What. In. The. World.
Other than that, thought it was great!
TXAGFAN
AG
I didn't care for it. Thought the acting was good, the way it was shot was interesting, but I didn't care for the plot..at all.
Silver Arrows
AG
Really weird but good
Saxsoon
AG
I actually liked the shots in the back hallways. Fantastically weird sums it up
OkinTexas
"Since the movie was about the production of a play"

Really? I think i will not be seeing this even though I'm a fan of Michael Keeton.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.