Anime Thread it's time to confess...

78,870 Views | 592 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Ghost of Bisbee
hunter2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So who has seen what and what is your opinion? Avoid spoilers if you can...

I'll go chronoligically(when I saw them).

Gundam wing- this was the classic toonami show for me growing up. Battles in space were awesome to watch...

Evangelion 2.0- Beautiful visuals and intriguing storyline I'm looking forward to the remaining movies.

Death Note- This is what rekicked my anime interest back into gear(that and Netflix). Such an amazing story, the twists were unreal and the cat and mouse style of it had me bingeing it til the end. L was the best antagonist ever... ANYONE WHO IS NOT A ANIME FAN SHOULD START HERE for some reason this appears to be a good gateway show and it is on netflix.

Sword Art Online- Awesome story though it could get sappy at times(that and the level jumps were ridiculous), and the action has been some of the best that I've seen. I'm considering skipping the Gun Gale just because I liked where SAO ended.

Full Metal Alchemist Original and Brotherhood- For starters i feel like the only way to fully appreciate brotherhood is to see original first. You get the back story so that while it is slower and the ending isn't as good you fully appreciate where the brothers are coming from. That being said brotherhood might be one of the best tv shows I've seen period, the intricacies of the plot all while feeding the constant action is unbelievable. One of the few shows that I've seen that pulls off both.this is another show I would fully recommend to a non anime fan. ALSO ON NETFLIX

Fate/stay night and Fate/Zero-I thought this was a decent show, Stay night was super shallow and slow especially when comparing it to Zero. I enjoyed Zero much more and it had a much better storyline and characters were much better, even if you know the ending(Zero is a prequel).

Attack on Titan- this might be the best pure action show that I've seen through 25 episodes, I swear it seems like there is like there is 10 minutes of dialogue throughout the whole season. The visuals are so pretty and that just amplifies the gore. The intensity just seems to just build and build and build... but now we're stuck on a cliff hanger until season 2...

Well that's it as far as what I've seen, thoughts?

As far as what's next I'm thinking either Steins;Gate, Psycho Pass, or Baccano!. Apparently Cowboy Bebop is really good and I'll have to watch the other gundam shows eventually. Though I'll welcome recommendations!
Post removed:
by user
dummble
AG
I thought we all started with DBZ on toonami?

Cowboy Bebop and Evangelion I hold the most dear

Ghost in the Shell, Attack on Titan, Last Exile, Big O. I wish i had time to watch more
bangobango
AG
I don't watch much anime, but for some reason I got roped into Cowboy Bebop and I thought it was awesome.
johnmyu
Have been watching some on Hulu lately - psycho pass was ok, liked terror in resonance quite a bit, kill la kill was a bit insane and too fan service oriented, Tokyo ghoul was interesting, Aldnoah.zero, knights of Sidonia for some mech action, Older title I'd add is samurai champloo. Lot of crap out there.
Duncan Idaho
quote:
I don't watch much anime, but for some reason I got roped into Cowboy Bebop and I thought it was awesome.

That is because it was awesome
TKEAg04
AG
I have been reading and watching Naruto since the first few weeks it started 10 years ago. Kind of a nerd secret.
swimmerbabe11
Dragon Ball Z and Full Metal Alchemist here
Red Five
AG
Came up in the early-mid 90's with Akira, Vampire Hunter D, Ninja Scroll, Green Legend Ran, Ghost in the Shell, and probably a couple others I can no longer remember. From what I remember this was before they really started running stuff like DBZ on cartoon network. We would catch them late night on Sci Fi or CN. A friend's older brother had a copy of Ninja Scroll, i dont know if they ever showed that on network TV.

Later got in to DBZ (like everyone) and Gundam Wing. I couldn't ever get into Evangelion for some reason. I did like Full Metal Alchemist also.

Guilty pleasure- used to come home from school and catch Sailor Moon on Toonami. Dont judge.

One of the ones I've watched recently is Initial D. I really enjoyed it. Cool racing action even if they do tend to draw things out a lot. Kind of like in DBZ when Goku and Freeza would spend 2-3 episodes staring at each other and powering up.
Fenrir
I remember Dragon Ball being on a local channel (33 I think...not sure if it was every on scifi channel) when i was a kid, long before Toonami existed.

I have way too many favorites honestly...Akira, Trigun, Yu Yu Hakusho, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Princess Mononoke...sure I'm missing something too.

Gave up on watching Naurto shortly after Shippuuden started...too many damn episodes, maybe I'll pick it up again on Netflix or something when it ends.

Mushishi is pretty amazing if you haven't seen it. Love the atmosphere and setting of the show. Used to be available on Netflix but got removed last I checked. It's available on Hulu I know though.

I haven't seen a lot of the "newer" shows really. Mostly read the manga the past several years...just doesn't take up nearly as much time to keep up with that plus I hate waiting for new seasons and don't want to deal with shows that get cancelled.

I've been wanting to watch more recently though (like Attack on Titan). I've also got several I started but never finished (Saiyuki, Ghost in the Shell SAC, Hellsing Ultimate among others). I just need to start a list and get to watching again.
NC2001
AG
My best friend in high school introduced me to Akira, Vampire Hunter D, Ninja Scroll, and Ghost in the Shell. I didn't watch much anime untill my oldest sister was getting her PhD. I was staying over at her place one weekend and saw a couple of VHS tapes of Ranma 1/2. Ended up binge watching the firist few seasons and was hooked. From there I've seen The Irresponsible Captain Tyler, a couple of the Gundam series, Dragon Ball Z, Witch Hunter Robin, Inuyasha, Big O, Death Note, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop (great soundtrack by the way), Sword Art Online, and now Bleach. I was introduced to most of these via Toonami.
NC2001
AG
Oh yeah, Samurai Champloo. I liked the soundtrack and plotline of that show as well.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Anime is a thing that I watch when something good comes along. Started on DBZ and Gundam Wing. If you want to ruin yourself on watching anything in the future I recommend Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone complex (first and second gigs followed by Solid State Society). I thought Psycho Pass was really good. The second season is going on, and funimation is simulcasting it on their site. Attack on Titan has gotten a lot of praise for its action sequences, but for me it is kinda meh. Too much screaming like DBZ which turned me off from DBZ initially until they trimmed the fat from the original broadcasts.

Others I recommend are:
Aldnoah Zero (first half complete, second is in January)
Sword Art Online (second season going on right now)
Platlabor (the movies from 1989 and 1993)
Black Lagoon
Banner of the Stars and Crest of the Stars
The Twelve Kingdoms
Un Go
Outlaw Star
Akame ga Kill (a fair amount of blood)
Darker than Black
Samurai 7 (yes, the anime version of the movie with a steampunk flare)
Ergo Proxy
Eureka Seven (one series originally, a separate movie, then another series to continue the original storyline called Eureka Seven: AO)

Fate/Stay Night is great as well. Zero was done after the original games and series though and the new series Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Bladeworks is going on now. Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is probably the better of the the two FMA's to watch IMO. It's a completely different story than the original show. Some of these can be found on www.crunchyroll.com where the episodes can be streamed others probably on Hulu.

Fullmetal Panic is pretty good too. I think that is two seasons. There was a fun/goofy season in there too, but I can't remember the title, Fullmetal Panic: Fumofu?

If you want to watch Evangelion, I have heard that the movies they have been doing are much, much better than the series. Series was great too though.

On Naruto and Bleach, I try to keep up with the highlights, but it looks like Naruto will be ending here shortly. This last little arc they have been having has been pretty decent. I went back and watched Bleach, and would have been happy with it ending after the first large arc. For these two shows, what kills it for me are the filler episodes where they go away from the main story line and wait for the manga to catch up. Somtimes they are several episodes long....

I could go on, but I figure that's a pretty good list with some thoughts on some of the shows. Some of these shows are dubbed, some are not but are subbed.
Dread Pirate Roberts
A poster here used to work for that Dragon Ball Z company on the business side, but they let him be a character also.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
I haven't seen a lot of the "newer" shows really. Mostly read the manga the past several years...just doesn't take up nearly as much time to keep up with that plus I hate waiting for new seasons and don't want to deal with shows that get cancelled.
From what I understand (anyone feel free to correct me) they adapt a portion of the manga (if the show has a manga) to an anime to promote the manga in a way to hook people into buying the manga.
amercer
AG
quote:

Seeing as how it's the best anime ever made, you might want to stop there.

Since the title of this thread is sort of confessional, I'll leave out all the highbrow anime that I've seen, and just put it out there that I've watched about 400 episodes of Bleach....
Saxsoon
AG
Code geass and deathnote are seriously two of the best anime out there and of course full Metal alchemist brotherhood.

Code geass is a mecha anime with the main character having the ability to control people once with a geass power in his eye. Very cat and mouse and strategic throughout how he manipulates one person to take down a battlefield.

Aldnoah zero is an interesting mecha show about how earth discovered a gateway to Mars in the 70s. Immigrants went to Mars and Mars became technologically superior. This takes place 30 yeara later with the assassination of the princess of Mars and Mars opening full war in earth.

My gateway show growing up though was yu yu Hakusho. Such a great show. Also Zoids chaotic century and Zoids new century zero were also fantastic.

Been watching sword art online I and II and that is fun.

Ergo proxy is such a weird and unique show in a post apocalyptic world where the last of humanity lives in a couple of bubble cities.
Mr.Ackar07
No love for the Ronin Warriors?
G Martin 87
AG
Starblazers in the early '80s for me. Other than Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Princess Mononoke, and Spirited Away, nothing else ever grabbed me. My kids are DBZ addicts, though. Is Attack on Titan the show with the giant nude zombie cannibals? They're all into that one currently.
Hagen95
AG
I think an old buddy in the dorm introduced me to Fist of the North Star and I would catch a few different series over the years. Toonami was greatness for finding these. There are tons on Netflix now.

Vampire Hunter D
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Samurai Champloo
Witch Hunter Robin

I got sucked into Bleach to the point that I read the manga as it was coming out for a few years. I wonder if it ever ended.

jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
I got sucked into Bleach to the point that I read the manga as it was coming out for a few years. I wonder if it ever ended.
The anime ended after 366 episodes (had to check wiki) and quite a few movies. The manga is still going on apparently. But from what I have been reading regarding series ending soon, Bleach's manga will be coming to a close here in the end of 2014. It possible that they could do a series for the final arc, picking up where the series ended originally.

For those that watch Naruto, I did a quick search and the manga's final chapter is coming sometime in November, the 10th I believe is the official date. The movie "The Last" is coming out in Japan on December 6. I would expect to see the anime run all the way up to the movie release.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
No love for the Ronin Warriors?
I don't think I ever saw the full series. If I remember, Cartoon Network/Toonami showed Robotech at the same time.
NC2001
AG
I've tried watching FLCL when it was showing on toonami, but that series was too damn weird...
Farmer1906
AG
I watched DB & DBZ a lot. I saw a little bit of Gundam and Tenchi because it was on Toonami too. I can't say I ever watched any other animes.
mhayden
Been a decade+ since I've watched any of it.

Ghost In the Shell was my first introduction -- just randomly caught it on HBO late one night.

Ninja Scroll and Cowboy Bebop were two of my favorites.
Frank Sobotka
I haven't finished many.

The original FMA was my gateway into anime. I watched it when I was sixteen and I have to say that it is a great coming of age tale. I'm not sure there is a coming of age story that I like better in any medium. The characters are very, very likeable.

Cowboy Bebop is the best anime in terms of the tone-setting, ambiance, and development of style. I held its episodic nature against it at the beginning of the series, but by the end of it, I realized that the episodic nature fit in perfectly with the floaty and drifting feel of Bebop.

Gurren Lagann is a silly anime, but one of my favorites. I felt like the writers were drank their own "boys will be boys" kool-aid, and I mean that in the best possible way. It has this over-the-top brazen/macho feel to it that might turn you off initially, but you'll be buying into the bravado a few episodes into it. This is a pretty genuine anime which needs to be viewed as a young-adult male.

Eden of the East is another one with extremely likeable and cool protagonists. It also has probably the only anime romance that I really like. The production quality is very good. The art style is very detailed for an anime.

Frank Sobotka
quote:
I've tried watching FLCL when it was showing on toonami, but that series was too damn weird...
It's hilarious though.
Sex Panther
AG
I don't understand anime. Why are they always yelling?
Frank Sobotka
I have to dissent on Death Note and Code Geass.

Both are series that start out with interesting premises and interesting, sociopathic protagonists. Both start out as an interesting Cat and Mouse, but the cat and mouse game gets repetitive, and I felt like they dragged it out. The character development on the sociopathic protagonists isn't dynamic (which I guess is appropriate). Like I've mentioned before, I have a problem with sociopathic protagonists. I don't think they are interesting enough to carry a series, certainly not for as long as those two series wound up being.
Frank Sobotka
I dont think that Death Note or Code Geass are bad, by any means, but I think they are overrated.
Buck O Five
AG
Limited anime knowledge but I got roped into one that was kind of dark and biblical. I can't remember the name...
jabberwalkie09
AG
I haven't seen Death Note, but I will agree on Code Geass. I thought the first season was pretty decent, but the second season lost something for me.
bagger05
AG
Japanese cartoons are weird.

Fenrir
quote:
Eden of the East is another one with extremely likeable and cool protagonists. It also has probably the only anime romance that I really like. The production quality is very good. The art style is very detailed for an anime.

The last episode just felt like a big bag of "meh" to me. Loved the buildup and the unknown, just the payoff never really felt that great to me.

FLCL was amazing and hilarious. I forgot about that one earlier. Glad it got brought up.

Never knew that the Bleach anime was done. Probably for the best, the whole series (manga included) should have stopped after the Aizen arc. It's just been downhill since.

Always wanted to see an Akira mini series that followed the source material more. That story barely got tapped into.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Haven't seen much anime, but I've got the Akira collection manga and it is BRILLIANT. Love the movie, too. The issue with the movie is that production on it started when Otomo was only halfway through writing the manga, so the second half of the movie is very different from the books.

Recently, I started watching Attack on Titan on Netflix. It is so weird, yet fascinating.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.