Video Game "Acting"

2,516 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by G.I.Bro
LHIOB
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just saw the commercial for the new COD and it features Kevin Spacey who I assume is playing Frank Underwood (or someone like him). More and more on IMDB you will see a vocie credit for a video game.

What kind of money will that bring? COD will bring in 100s of millions so I assume that Spacey will get a chunk of change but how much? Anyone know anything about this?
CGSC Lobotomy
Depends on the budget
Nagler
AG
I don't understand why they made it look like Kevin Spacey? I thought that it was actually suposed to be Spacey in the game or something.

Not sure why you wouldn't just make him look like someone else.
SeattleAgJr
Most voiceover work does not pay "acting" money because the person is not seen.

But an A/B lister like Kevin Spacey would command the upper tier dollars. Add to that they are using his likeness and specifically promoting the game with his involvement, I would bet he was probably paid about $500K, with maybe a kicker based on sales.
CGSC Lobotomy
Similar to Keifer Sutherland in Metal Gear Solid 5.
jeffk
AG
Or Ice T in Black Ops.
SteadicaTm
AG
It all depends on the actor. A guy I know DC Douglas is Wesker in Resident Evil. He gets about $1000/day to voice the games.
CGSC Lobotomy
Ice T was in Black Ops? I know Sam Worthington was Mason.
bearamedic99
AG
I don't care how much they get paid. I enjoy recognizing Malcolm Reynolds or Lt Daniels/Agt Broyles in Destiny and other various games.
AliasMan02
AG
I've always been under the impression that most actors just get scale to do voice work. I think those that do it, do it because it's relatively painless and pays okay, or just because they're gamers (like Nathan Fillion, who is a huge Halo nut and geek in general) and get a kick out of it.

Good voice acting is a huge bonus to a great game, for sure. Martin Sheen in Mass Effect 2 and 3 is one of my all-time favorites as far as recognizable voices. And of course, "War. War never changes..."

One of my favorite voice-acted games ever was the new Tomb Raider. I don't think there were any big names in it, but I just thought the talent they used was top notch.
jeffk
AG
quote:
Ice T was in Black Ops? I know Sam Worthington was Mason.

Sorry, Ice-T was in one of the Gears of War games and Ice Cube was in Black Ops.

Got my Ice's reversed.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
quote:
I don't understand why they made it look like Kevin Spacey? I thought that it was actually suposed to be Spacey in the game or something.

Not sure why you wouldn't just make him look like someone else.

Spacey playing the [spoiler alert, my bad y'all] in House of Cards may have something to do with his likeness being used. Similar to Norman Reedus in a survival horror game:

Duncan Idaho
Let's not forget Tobias funke running around screaming in halo 2
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
SteadicaTm
AG
quote:
I've always been under the impression that most actors just get scale to do voice work. I think those that do it, do it because it's relatively painless and pays okay, or just because they're gamers (like Nathan Fillion, who is a huge Halo nut and geek in general) and get a kick out of it.

Good voice acting is a huge bonus to a great game, for sure. Martin Sheen in Mass Effect 2 and 3 is one of my all-time favorites as far as recognizable voices. And of course, "War. War never changes..."

One of my favorite voice-acted games ever was the new Tomb Raider. I don't think there were any big names in it, but I just thought the talent they used was top notch.
Name actors get some money to do anything with their voice. Jamie Kennedy is getting a decent chunk of change to do Ben Afflecks new animated Boston TV series.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
quote:

Name actors get some money to do anything with their voice. Jamie Kennedy is getting a decent chunk of change to do Ben Afflecks new animated Boston TV series.

Well, i mean... it's Jamie Kennedy!
Duncan Idaho
Say what you will but I loved the prince of Malibu

Mr.KyleReed
AG
GetThoseKeysMilo
There's a good documentary about professional voice acting on netflix. I can't remember the title.
Mr.KyleReed
AG
quote:
There's a good documentary about professional voice acting on netflix. I can't remember the title.

I think its like, "I know that Voice" or something like that.
Knife_Party
Miranda Lawson in Mass Effect 2.
CGSC Lobotomy
The most well-known actor is a voice actor, Frank Welker.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
The most well-known actor is a voice actor, Frank Welker.
He has done a lot of work. Throw in Nolan North (Nathan Drake's voice) and Mark Hamill (voiced the Joker) in there and that is three guys who have done a lot of recognizable voice acting. Not all of it game based.
KidDoc
AG
I really enjoyed Seth Green in Mass Effect games.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Seven Psycho Ags
"I Know That Voice" is an excellent documentary. It's fun to watch how into the roles the actors become.
hunter2012
AG
In general the Mass Effect trilogy may be some of the best casted well known voices to be in a video game.
Tobias Funke
AG
quote:
Let's not forget Tobias funke running around screaming in halo 2
fav13andac1)c
AG
quote:
"I Know That Voice" is an excellent documentary. It's fun to watch how into the roles the actors become.

Loved that documentary. I definitely walked away with an increased appreciation for the art of voice acting.

Nolan North and Troy Baker are 2 of my favorites, just because of their sheer versatility. They are in almost EVERYTHING when it comes to video games.
CGSC Lobotomy
You forget the first lady of video game voices: Jennifer Hale.
wangus12
AG
Nathan Fillion voiced some marines in Halo 2
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Nathan Fillion voiced some marines in Halo 2
Fillion, Tricia Helfer, Adam Baldwin, Nolan North, and Alan Tudyk voiced characters in HALO 3: ODST. I don't remember Fillion voicing anyone in Halo 2....
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Original Resident Evil offers some pretty classic moments from how terrible the acting is.
CGSC Lobotomy
Here's a question:

Who did a better vocal acting job for these characters?

Snake/Big Boss (David Hayter vs. Kiefer Sutherland)

Kerrigan (Glynnis Campbell vs. Tricia Helfer)

Dante (Reuben Langdon vs. Tim Phillips)

The Joker (Mark Hamill vs. Troy Baker)

Ocelot (Josh Keaton vs. Pat Zimmerman vs. Troy Baker)

Harley Quinn (Arleen Sorkin vs. Tara Strong)
MW03
AG
I can't believe nobody has mentioned Ray Liotta in Vice City.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Between the two choices for Joker, when they are speaking lines, they are pretty similar, but Hamill just nails the sinister, sadistic, maniacal laugh that is essential in the joker character. Maybe it has to do with Hamill being older and having a little bit more of an aged sounding to his voice. Harley Quinn though, Tara Strong. I was a fan of how Arleen Sorkin did Quinn in the series, but Strong is pretty good in the recent games.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.