Nightcrawlers

4,975 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Richie Cunningham
k20dub
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone else seeing this movie on Friday? I can't wait
FriendlyAg
I'm really curious about it
TCTTS
AG
I'm definitely seeing NIGHTCRAWLER on Friday. Is Nightcrawlers the sequel?
k20dub
AG
haha oops. Actually figured that out as I was searching for it.

Sex Panther
AG
Really looking forward to it. Jake Gyllenhaal is a very underrated actor.
BEaggie08
AG
quote:
Is Nightcrawlers the sequel?
No, it's a totally separate movie about earthworms.
Seven Psycho Ags
In Nightcrawlers, instead of one Jake Gyllenhaal they have to fight dozens of him.
Tobias Funke
AG
Max Power
AG
Tobias beat me to it.
k20dub
AG
Seeing it tonight at Alamo Drafthouse
R0GUE
AG
Nightcrawlers is the next X-Men sequel, a romantic comedy about Nightcrawler and his little buddies:

But in all seriousness, this movie looks pretty awesome.
israeliag
AG
quote:
Jake Gyllenhaal is a very underrated actor.

Serious Q SP: Is he really underrated, or is my sarcasm-meter broken?

I think he's quite good. The line of him asking if he has to give over evidence alone makes me want to watch this.
Sex Panther
AG
No I think he's really good. Maybe he's not underrated, but it seems like he doesn't quite get the recognition he should.
R0GUE
AG
I agree, I thought he was AWESOME in Prisoners. This movie has a similar feel to that movie to me, from the previews.
TCTTS
AG
Seeing this tonight. Can't wait.
israeliag
AG
I never noticed that, but looking through his IMDB, looks like he has some good roles lined up (including a David O. Russell film). But yeah, looking back at his roles and considering his only major casting in a blockbuster was Prince of Persia, which arguably bombed, I see what you're getting at (and I'm going to choose to ignore The Day After Tomorrow).

Gramercy Riffs
AG
** NON-SPOILER COMPLETE GUESS DISCUSSED BELOW **

It seems to me that if someone were in the business of being the first to arrive at the scene of an accident/crime in order to get exclusive footage to sell to news outlets, an easy way to know the location is to just start causing/committing the accident/crime yourself. Does that seem too obvious to anyone else? That can't be where they're going with this, can it?

** END COMPLETE GUESS, NON-SPOILER, RANDOM DISCUSSION IDEA **
israeliag
AG
SP, rereading my previous post it might come off as me disagreeing with you. I'm not. Best buds still?
Sex Panther
AG
L'chaim
Sex Panther
AG
Also Prince of Persia was terrible
Ulrich
***spoiler guess from seeing the full trailer***

My impression from seeing the trailer was that he doesn't report a violent conspiracy because he's trying to get the whole story and bring down the crime ring for fame and money prior to "breaking" the story. Then the conflict would come from weighing his own fame/finances more heavily than the lives of the targeted victims of said conspiracy.

***end spoiler guess***
Sex Panther
AG
95% on RT
k20dub
AG
Just got back from it. It was creepy as hell. Gyllenhaal did a tremendous job with his character. Great movie that's all kinds of effed up
dfphotos
Just saw this flick. Amazing stuff going on.
TCTTS
AG
GREAT movie. k20dub summed it up perfectly. Gyllenhaal was fantastic - if not maybe a little too obvious at times in the way he played the character - but man, what an awesomely unique premise/setting. Loved every minute of it. That final act was phenomenal.

Btw, I'd say this and Collateral do the best job of capturing the look/vibe of the LA I know. The vast majority of this city really is pretty ugly, aesthetically, and not at all like the pockets of luxury usually shown in the movies. This truly felt like the real LA.

Also, I would absolutely watch Nightcrawlers the sequel. Sets it up perfectly.
TCTTS
AG
One weird thing I noticed is that in the first teaser trailer Gyllenhaal says the line - "If you want to win the lottery, you have to make the money to buy a ticket" - at least four or five different times, yet he only says it once in the actual movie. I kept waiting for that to be a thing he repeated. There are also two or three shots in that trailer of his character addressing/talking to the audience, but they didn't have him do that even once in the final product (which I think it's definitely better for).
Dirty Mike and the Boys
AG
quote:
I agree, I thought he was AWESOME in Prisoners. This movie has a similar feel to that movie to me, from the previews.

Gyllenhaal and Jackman acted their asses off in Prisoners. I loved that movie. I'm stoked about Nightcrawler. Gyllenhaal looks to have a pretty dynamic role.
R0GUE
AG
Went to see it tonight, Gyllenhall was creepy as ****. It was a great movie, very enjoyable, but leaves you with a feeling like you just got punched in the kidney.
scoop12
AG
quote:
One weird thing I noticed is that in the first teaser trailer Gyllenhaal says the line - "If you want to win the lottery, you have to make the money to buy a ticket" - at least four or five different times, yet he only says it once in the actual movie. I kept waiting for that to be a thing he repeated. There are also two or three shots in that trailer of his character addressing/talking to the audience, but they didn't have him do that even once in the final product (which I think it's definitely better for).

Just finished this and man what a great ride. Agree with the quote above. Many parts of that trailer never made it in, but I don't think it is worse for it.

The last act of the movie was incredibly tense for me. Loved the closing line. Gyllenhal was great and Rene Russo has still got it ha.
TCTTS
AG
Number one at the box office this weekend. So happy to see a movie like this in the top spot.
Waltonloads08
AG
Acting was excellent, story was unique, but it seemed like they couldn't come up with an interesting ending, so it just ended.

Id call it a great renter, OK theater movie.
Waltonloads08
AG
quote:
Number one at the box office this weekend. So happy to see a movie like this in the top spot.

True, prefer this to XMen 7: Clash of the Whatever.
Sex Panther
AG
Awesome movie. Gyllenhaal was fantastic.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
***spoilers***

Halfway through the movie, I thought to myself "It's like I'm watching a modern American Psycho." Gyllenhaal was nails in his role as what I can only describe as a sociopath. The only slight complaints I'd have is the movie dragged a big about 1/4 of the way into it (around the time of the montage), the previews gave away wayyyy too much of the final climactic sequence and the end of the film left me wanting more when the credits rolled. I'd have loved to see how the main character's story unfolded to its conclusion (does he eventually get caught? Or does he actually achieve his dream of becoming a media mogul?). But those quibbles are so minor. It was a fantastic film and I'll be recommending it to folks all week for sure.
cr0wbar
AG
Jake was amazing. He's really setting himself apart with his acting abilities. Oscar worthy IMO. Loved the cinematography of it- felt very 'Noir'. His sidekick played by Riz Ahmed was pretty good too!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.