ST VINCENT

2,200 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Old Main
OldArmy71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have enjoyed Bill Murray's "adult" roles, so I went to see ST VINCENT today. It's ABOUT A BOY crossed with GRAN TURINO. It is quite a bit darker than I thought it would be going in, and that disappointed me.

Murray does a fine job of acting; it's just that his curmudgeon is too unlikeable for my tastes. Even the reason provided for his sour attitude on life does not redeem the movie; it makes the comic bits seem out of place in a very dark film. The actor who plays the priest/teacher has a wonderfully accepting way about him that was appealing; the young man who plays the second lead is fine; Melissa McCarthy does OK; Naomi Watts is just strange as a prego prostitute with a heart of gold.

I thought it would be funnier than it turned out to be.

I would not go see this on the big screen. Two-and-a-half stars out of four.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I loved it.
G Martin 87
AG
Completely disagree. This is my favorite movie of the year not named "Guardians of the Galaxy."
MarathonAg03
AG
Great flick!
Shaggie 05
AG
Saw this last night and really enjoyed it, as did the fianc.
mid90
AG
I liked it. Some really funny parts that provide very necessary comic relief in what is a pretty dark plot at times.
Andyzipp
AG
Loved this movie. Allergies actually kicked in during the presentation.
Ziggy Sobotka
AG
Looking forward to seeing it, my wife's aunt nabbed a speaking part, we are all very proud.
splits
I cried like 5x. Was definitely expecting more of a comedy. Good movie though
bigjag19
AG
Just saw. Lots of dust blowing in during the last 30 minutes.

Nice to McCarthy actually doing something else than Tammy.
Rick Dalton
AG
Just watched this. Loved it.

Bill Murray was outstanding. McCarthy was pleasantly surprising in a more serious role. The kid...pretty good start.

Is it just my man-crush or is Murray getting better with age, and the right role may get him an Oscar nod some day?

Edit: yeah for some reason my allergies kicked in pretty hard about 11pm last night. I gotta 2-day rental, so watching again.
Know Your Enemy
AG
He should've been nominated for this role.
S.A.Aggie2006
AG
Thought the movie tried to hard.
Old Main
AG
I thought that this was a very good movie. Watch the interviews in the bonus section of the DVD. Bill Murray is one of my favorite actors. The kid in the movie was great.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/F4lKw2Et.png[/img]
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.