60 minutes and the foo fighters

3,822 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Professor Frick
MookieBlaylock
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just saw a commercial calling the Foo Fighters americas greatest rock band

I like FF but cmon they arent even close
Professor Frick
AG
Of all time? Nah.

Current American rock band? Hard to argue, I guess, there's really no one that's as big and still relevant. Ish.
AgPediRPh
AG
Greatest current rock band, yes. But there are few rock bands making new music right now.
dfphotos
Obama lovers
Professor Frick
AG
What a weird thing to say or care about
dfphotos
Um, no. All the "great" bands are liberal losers.
Professor Frick
AG
I wasn't arguing that they weren't 'Obama lovers', I was just wondering why it was worth mentioning.
dfphotos
I just answered that.
Professor Frick
AG
Ok, so you're saying that since they are Obama lovers, and all great bands are liberal losers, there is some transitive political property that solidifies them as a great band?
AgPediRPh
AG
It must really suck if your only music options are Carrie Underwood and Ted Nugent
twenty two ags
there's nothing GREAT about the Foo Fighters. they are the very definition of average.
Professor Frick
AG
I agree they are very consistent, but nothing all that exciting. They are likely the 'biggest' American Rock band going right now though right? I can't think of another...
twenty two ags
yeah, probably so. hard to believe they've been together for nearly 20 yrs now.
DannyDuberstein
AG
They might be, which says more about the state of rock right now than it does the Foo Fighters.
dfphotos
quote:
It must really suck if your only music options are Carrie Underwood and Ted Nugent

Both are talented. As are the Foo Fighters. But if youre not down with the cause, the media will never declare you the best.
COOL LASER FALCON
Calm down, dfp. No need to put a boot in anyone's ass over this.
Professor Frick
AG
Sounds like someone's bitter that Madison Rising didn't top the charts...
dfphotos
wtf is that?
SteveA
AG
Who a bigger rock band than them, right now? And they are way better than 'average'.
Macarthur
quote:
Um, no. All the "great" bands are liberal losers.

twenty two ags
quote:
Who a bigger rock band than them, right now? And they are way better than 'average'.
pearl jam is unquestionably bigger. black keys arent bigger but are on their level. metallica is bigger. u2 - despite recent flops is bigger. tom petty and the heartbreakers are bigger. green day and RHCP are not bands that i like better than FF, but they are bigger.

so if we want to just filter that with "american" bands, thats 5 bands bigger than FF.

as far as me calling them "average" - of course their success is far above "average". i simply meant that relative to their success level, and the other bands who are their "equals"- IMO they dont come close to having the same number of GREAT songs as any of the above bands. they have a lot of good songs, and they benefit from Dave Grohl being the coolest, nicest, dude you'd most want to hang with in all of music.
double aught
AG
quote:
They might be, which says more about the state of rock right now than it does the Foo Fighters.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
pearl jam is unquestionably bigger.

If this were 1999 yeah sure.

quote:
black keys arent bigger but are on their level. metallica is bigger. u2 - despite recent flops is bigger. tom petty and the heartbreakers are bigger. green day and RHCP are not bands that i like better than FF, but they are bigger.

I like the Black Keys better, but agree they aren't bigger.

Metallica like Pearl Jam is more "legendary" at this point.

U2 isn't American, but yeah they are still pretty damn big. (although I think this itunes album debacle shows where they are at in their careers)

Love Tom Petty and everything he's done, but come on. He's not relevant anymore... Did you even know he just released a new album?

Green Day and RHCP; you can make that argument, but Foo Fighters seem to be still in their prime where those bands are starting to fade a bit. (I'm a big RHCP fan, and I think Green Day is ok. Surprisingly amazing concert a few years ago at SXSW though.)

quote:
as far as me calling them "average" - of course their success is far above "average". i simply meant that relative to their success level, and the other bands who are their "equals"- IMO they dont come close to having the same number of GREAT songs as any of the above bands. they have a lot of good songs, and they benefit from Dave Grohl being the coolest, nicest, dude you'd most want to hang with in all of music.

I don't really disagree with this... Foo Fighters are basically the Derek Jeter of rock music (especially American rock). They are certainly great, and worthy of their accolades... But it's more because they have a long record of being consistent and above average. Nothing really ever transcendent though... And a lot of it stems from Dave Grohl being an awesome, popular guy, who has become the ambassador and face of rock music (which is well deserved).

Dave Grohl is just awesome though.
Macarthur
quote:
quote:
pearl jam is unquestionably bigger. black keys arent bigger but are on their level. metallica is bigger. u2 - despite recent flops is bigger. tom petty and the heartbreakers are bigger. green day and RHCP are not bands that i like better than FF, but they are bigger.

so if we want to just filter that with "american" bands, thats 5 bands bigger than FF.

I would second most of what Sex Panther said.

PJ - Not any more. PJ is legendary, sure. However, I think when you look at how long PJ was 'in their prime' and how long FF have been really good, I think you can make a strong case that the FF are in the PJ category or approaching very quickly.

Black Keys - Love the black keys but they have not been bigger for longer. Maybe since El Camino.

Metallica - Probably about the same as PJ.

U2 - Again, legendary, but they have not been writing great music and doing great albums for quite a few years now.

TP & HB. - One of my all time favs, but I have to say, no. I don't think they are as big as FF.

Green DAy. - No

RHCP - Don't want to derail thread, but one of the most overrated groups ever. And I like them. Just chuckle when I think about them in the RRHOF.

And I second what SP said about Grohl being somewhat of an abassador. I think that's really important as Hip Hop has begun to dominate popular music. They have gone a long way to keep rock bands somewhat afloat. He's also big buddies with folks like Page, Lemmy, etc., so that again has helped bridge a generational gap of sorts. There are probably tons of kids that have discovered Motorhead simply because of Dave.

All in all, they are certainly the most important rock band in the last decade or so. That doesn't mean I think they are the best or their music is the best. Just that they've been very important.
Potcake
AG
dfphotos, I believe you are looking for Politics, it's a few forums down. They would love you.
aTmAg
AG
The reason most bands (and actors for that matter) are liberal is because their expertise is in things that have nothing to do with economics, history, or any of that. It's a lot easier to reflexively be for "the working man" or "helping the poor", but it takes more sophisticated thinking to realize that just giving them taxpayer money does more harm than good in the long run. If these people had not spent their childhoods practising music, and instead were reading about politics, then they wouldn't be good enough musicians to hit it big. Unless they were hot, of course. Then skill doesn't matter much.
Macarthur
quote:
The reason most bands (and actors for that matter) are liberal is because their expertise is in things that have nothing to do with economics, history, or any of that. It's a lot easier to reflexively be for "the working man" or "helping the poor", but it takes more sophisticated thinking to realize that just giving them taxpayer money does more harm than good in the long run. If these people had not spent their childhoods practising music, and instead were reading about politics, then they wouldn't be good enough musicians to hit it big. Unless they were hot, of course. Then skill doesn't matter much.
lol.

In other words, only uneducated people lean left.
aTmAg
AG
No, you can have a phD in nuclear physics but that doesn't mean you are educated in fields important to politics. I'm a well educated engineer, but I'll be the first to admit that I don't know crap about playing music.
Macarthur
But to your point (hijacking this thread), there are highly educated people in all fields assoicated with politics that are left leaning and those that are right leaning.

Your post implied that, all you have to do is educate yourself and you will obviously be right leaning.
aTmAg
AG
You have to be:

1) Not stupid
2) Educate yourself (in an unbiased nature) to the fields of economics, history, etc.

There are dudes, like Paul Krugman, who are educated in economics, but I think he is either a liar, stupid, or both. I lean towards both since he's been on record lying through his teeth and he has publicly fallen for no brainer positions such as the broken window fallacy. His bread and butter is paid by his liberal positions. He sells lots of books that way.
Sex Panther
AG
I can't imagine going through life where every little thing I do is affected by political leanings. What a miserable existence.
aTmAg
AG
It's actually pretty awesome.
Sex Panther
AG
clearly
Professor Frick
AG
I can't imagine going through life thinking that the only way a person could hold a viewpoint opposite my own is if they are just too stupid to understand why I'm right. It's really sad to know that there are so many people like this on both sides of the political spectrum.
Macarthur
quote:
You have to be:

1) Not stupid
2) Educate yourself (in an unbiased nature) to the fields of economics, history, etc.

There are dudes, like Paul Krugman, who are educated in economics, but I think he is either a liar, stupid, or both. I lean towards both since he's been on record lying through his teeth and he has publicly fallen for no brainer positions such as the broken window fallacy. His bread and butter is paid by his liberal positions. He sells lots of books that way.
Then, yes, what you implied is what you actually meant.

Take it to the Politics echo chamber.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.