Christian Bale cast as Steve Jobs

3,340 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by TCTTS
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Still don't get why they're making another one, but whatever. Strange casting, imo.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/23/showbiz/movies/christian-bale-steve-jobs-movie/
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Then again, I could see him as a closer personality match, if Jobs is as much of a crazy ******* as people say.
Nonregdrummer09
AG
The Jobs movie Kutcher did was not the official Biography version, Sony bought the rights to that a while ago. Jobs was a mostly independent venture. It wasn't great, wasn't terrible either. I think this will be much better.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
I think this will be much better.

I hope you aren't suggesting Christian Bale will do a better job of acting than Ashton Kutcher could.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Strange casting, imo.

Yeah, they don't look anything alike.

wangus12
AG
For I second, I honestly thought you had pictures of Bale vs. Kutcher. Thus, Kutcher whens the look alike contest.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Heh, not bad. But not as close as Kutcher.

Look at the black and white picture of Jobs on the left side, last row, and tell me that doesn't look like Ashton Kutcher.
MW03
AG
Damnit. Now I have to see it.
TCTTS
AG
And just FYI, even though it's loosely based on the official biography, this won't be a biopic in the traditional sense. Rather, it will focus on three real-time keynote speeches, showing the behind the scenes leading up to the announcements for the original Macintosh, the NeXT and the iPod, making for a really cool and unique structure.
TCTTS
AG
Kutcher no doubt wins the look-alike contest, but Bale will no doubt win the acting-like contest.
AggieDPT
AG
You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.
Sex Panther
AG
Frank Langella looks nothing like Richard Nixon and he was awesome portraying him.

Frank Langella looks even less like Skeletor and he killed that role even more so.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
And just FYI, even though it's loosely based on the official biography, this won't be a biopic in the traditional sense. Rather, it will focus on three real-time keynote speeches, showing the behind the scenes leading up to the announcements for the original Macintosh, the NeXT and the iPod, making for a really cool and unique structure.
So, Mr. Holland's Opus, but with consumer tech instead of music?
Professor Frick
AG
I like to imagine this was the elevator pitch that got this thing green lit.
TCTTS
AG
I've actually never seen Mr. Holland's Opus.
CoolaidWade
AG
Sweet. Maybe this is alternate universe Steve Jobs. Where right after he introduces the Apple iphone 3G he hacks up his secretary with an axe.

Im in!
Sex Panther
AG
I have to return some Ipads
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
I have to return some Ipads
I gotta run, I have a lunch meeting with Bill Gates at the Four Seasons in 20 minutes...
Diggity
AG
Do you like...Bob Dylan?
COOL LASER FALCON
I think this is going to be awesome. Disappointed that Fincher dropped out, but that concept sounds like a perfect match for Sorkin writing and Boyle directing.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Fincher would get me very interested in this movie. Didn't realize he was in talks at one point.

From what I read, he had wanted to cast Bale, so maybe this could draw him back to the project? Hope so. A Fincher/Sorkin/TR re-team would get my ass in a seat, no question.
COOL LASER FALCON
I'm excited to see what Boyle will do with it. We know what a Sorkin/ Fincher project would look like (and yes, it would probably be great), but Boyle has tackled all kinds of different stuff and knocked them out of the park.
TCTTS
AG
Whoa. Seth Rogen and Jessica Chastain could join...

http://www.thewrap.com/seth-rogen-eyed-to-play-apples-steve-wozniak-in-christian-bales-steve-jobs-movie-exclusive/

I love Rogen, but I'm not sure about him playing Wozniak. Could be brilliant, could be too much of a distraction.
TCTTS
AG
Then again, the thought of angry Bale-as-Jobs arguing with Rogen-as-Wozniak via Sorkin dialogue does sound kind of amazing.
israeliag
AG
quote:
Then again, the thought of angry Bale-as-Jobs arguing with Rogen-as-Wozniak via Sorkin dialogue does sound kind of amazing.
israeliag
AG
Seth Rogen trying his hand at the Jonah Hill career model, eh.
Sex Panther
AG
Hey, Jonah Hill proved everyone wrong and crossed over really well. Rogen seems like more of a stretch, but I'm a big fan of his and would love to see him pull it off.
TCTTS
AG
^ Very good points.
Ulrich
Lots of comedians have turned in great performances in serious roles. If Will Ferrell can do it, I won't write off anyone out of hand.
COOL LASER FALCON
I don't have any doubts that Rogen can do a good job of acting. I thought he was great and showed a lot of range in 50/50. My concern is just whether or not I can lose him in the role of someone who's recognizable and pretty well known.
MGS
Noah Wylie looks more like Steve Jobs than either of those guys.
Thunder18
AG
Updated American Psycho references
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
Updated American Psycho references

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
This.

Robin Williams won an Oscar for Good Will Hunting. S'all I'm saying.
Professor Frick
AG
I do think Rogen could do a good job in this, but it will be interesting to see him actually play someone that isn't essentially just a version of himself. Hell, the only thing close to him showing dramatic chops was in 50/50 (in which he was great), but he literally played himself.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.