Excellent book series to tide you over while Sanderson, Rothfuss, RR Martin

6,674 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by bangobango
SQXVI
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
do their thing.

I just finished the Ancient Egypt series of books by Wilbur Smith and have to say they're some of the best I've read. They're historical fiction, but the writing and content is very much in the vein of Game of Thrones with the behind the throne intrigue and constant battle. I've been a big fan of Wilbur Smith since his Courtney Series taking place in Colonial South Africa, but this series was even better.

I've also just started reading the Asian Saga by Clavell, and am about halfway through the first book SHOGUN which I like very much, and heartily recommend.

It looks like we have 'The Slow Regard of Silent things" coming out from Rothfuss in a month or so, BUT that's more of an interlude solely focused on Auri than a continuation of the Qvothe story, but it should be pretty decent.

Really really hoping Sanderson comes out with a new way of Kings book soon; as the first two books are some of the best I've ever read; even better than his Mistborn series.

If anyone has any other good options please let me know.
FancyKetchup14
AG
If you like thrillers the Jason Bourne books by Robert Ludlum are some of my favorites.

I also really like the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child. The movie adaptation sucked but the books are really hard to put down.
maverick2076
If you are looking for another fantasy series while you are waiting on those guys to write new books, check out Peter Brett's Demon Cycle or Terry Mancour's Spellmonger series. Brett has gotten discussed on here before, but the Spellmonger series might be the best fantasy series that no one else is reading. It has an irreverent sense of humor, interesting magical system, and some engaging political intrigue. I'm a big fan.
Texas Yarddog
AG
Forgot about Wilbur Smith. His Egyptian series was one of my favorites. The Courtney series is also a good one from what I remember. Gonna reread those (again). Thanks, OP.
LawAg05
AG
When you mention Sanderson, Rothfuss, and RR Martin then give a book recommendation....I'm gonna give it a shot. Thanks.
Clavell
AG
For historical fiction series go for "Masters of Rome" series by Colleen McCullough. Expertly researched and presented.

Although certainly can't beat Clavell.
FriendlyAg
quote:
When you mention Sanderson, Rothfuss, and RR Martin then give a book recommendation....I'm gonna give it a shot. Thanks.

Sanderson=way of kings
RR martin= game of thrones
Rothfuss= The name of the wind

Start there. Return when you're a fan boy of one or all of those.
jlb2957
AG
Why when I can reread the Dresden Files?
Prime0882
AG
Not sure if I've met too many people that i know that read David Gemmell, but his Troy series is outstanding. Strong characters, and a good historical fiction series for anyone interested in that era.
KidDoc
AG
Joe Abercrombie
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
LawAg05
AG
quote:
quote:

Sanderson=way of kings
RR martin= game of thrones
Rothfuss= The name of the wind

Start there. Return when you're a fan boy of one or all of those.
Done. That's why I'm giving the OP's book a shot.
FriendlyAg
I apologize, I read it in a different context.
Thunder18
AG
Blood Song and Tower Lord by Anthony Ryan are good reads that are pretty similar to GoT or the stormlight archives type of stories
SQXVI
AG
quote:
Blood Song and Tower Lord by Anthony Ryan are good reads that are pretty similar to GoT or the stormlight archives type of stories

Indeed, I read blood song and it was awesome, heard tower lord as good so am waiting to read it when book 3 comes out
Texags is garbage
Make sure you stick with Way of the Kings cause it's totally worth it. I damn near quit in the beginning, but glad I didn't.
LawAg05
AG
No worries.

Agree on Blood Song and Tower Lord. Read both after seeing them recommended on another thread.
mid90
AG
The best thing about the Raven's Shadow trilogy? (blood song & tower lord)

Ryan reportedly has already submitted final book to his publisher, or maybe it was his editor....either way he's done and it's coming out within a year.
maca1028
Thanks for the W. Smith reference. Another good series is Conn Igguldens Caeser
mid90
AG
I'd never heard of The Way of Kings before. Just put a hold request in to the library for a copy. Thanks OP!
tremble
AG
Blood Song was incredible. Tower Lord was not quite as good.
bangobango
AG
Malazan Book of the Fallen http://www.amazon.com/Gardens-Moon-Malazan-Book-Fallen/dp/0765348780/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414220635&sr=8-1&keywords=Gardens+of+the+moon

Get you some of that.
SQXVI
AG
quote:
Malazan Book of the Fallen http://www.amazon.com/Gardens-Moon-Malazan-Book-Fallen/dp/0765348780/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414220635&sr=8-1&keywords=Gardens+of+the+moon

Get you some of that.

Tried to, got halfway through the first book, had to stop, too much going on in the book
Aggiethruthicknthin
AG
Im just rereading GOT.
bangobango
AG
quote:
Tried to, got halfway through the first book, had to stop, too much going on in the book

It takes some work to get through, but it is worth it. The payoff is on the reread.
SQXVI
AG
quote:
quote:

It takes some work to get through, but it is worth it. The payoff is on the reread.

How do you recommend you read it? I bought the ten volume Kindle set, so I'd love to tackle it again. Do you recommend just plowing through, or going back to check if you forget who someone is, or what the current plot is
bangobango
AG
I would plow through it, but feel free to use the wiki if you forget a character. The wiki denotes what book the information is revealed in, so you can avoid spoilers.

Here is the deal, though, your first time through you're not going to really understand what is going on. You're going to be like "what the hell is going on?" That's normal. But things will be revealed and if you ever take the time to go back and read them again the "Aha!" Moments make it a lot of fun and make those confused moments worth it, because it is like you're now in on the joke.

There is just an entire culture and humor to the novels that doesn't come through as well your first time through. Plus, erikson just drops you into the middle of everything and then explains it all at the end. It's really a unique reading experience that I haven't found anywhere else.

But stay away from the Esselmont stuff. It is terrible, in my opinion.
Zombie
Another series definitely worth reading is Codex Alera by Jim Butcher. Great and original concept and pretty easy to read.
javajaws
AG
Ditto on the Malazon books. I've read some of the books three times (I had started way before they were finished). I think it is the only work of fantasy that surpasses Tollkien. It admittedly is lengthy and heavy reading, but it is also deep and rewarding as well if you put the time into it.
Stan Rizzo
AG
Any opinions on Scott lynch? I was thinking about starting on Lies of Locke Lamora after i finish the Way of Kings.
mid90
AG
Lies of Locke Lamora is a must-read. And it's even better the second tine through IMO
mid90
AG
the library finally received the copy of way of kings that I requested. That first prologue had me hooked!
Texags is garbage
Just finished Way of the Kings and Name of the Wind. Can't decide which of second installments I want to read next.
SQXVI
AG
quote:
Just finished Way of the Kings and Name of the Wind. Can't decide which of second installments I want to read next.
have you read Sanderson's other hit series Mistborn trilogy? ALMOST as good as the Way of Kings, if you haven't then you don't need to waste another second on indecision.
MW03
AG
quote:
Any opinions on Scott lynch? I was thinking about starting on Lies of Locke Lamora after i finish the Way of Kings.

Personally, I think he's a better writer than Rothfuss, but his story is not as good, if that makes sense. That being said, I'm on the 3rd book of the series and have enjoyed them quite a lot. I would certainly recommend them, but they are somewhere behind the Kingkiller books on my continuum.
OCEN99
AG
quote:
Why when I can reread the Dresden Files?

You might also like Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid series. It has a somewhat similar premise though with less of the hardboiled vibe of the Dresden books.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.