"Serial" podcast

68,204 Views | 462 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by CDub06
Whoop04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
From the This American Life creators. It's a journalist going back and examining a murder case. As far as podcasts go, it's very entertaining. Anyone else listening?
Ag2011
AG
Definitely interesting. Pretty curious to hear some more on why the cops went with Jays story. From the last episode, sounds like his story was all over the place. But for some reason, Adnan still freaks me out.
MASAXET
AG
Hadn't heard of it until I saw this thread, so I decided to give it a shot. Finished first three episodes so far and agree it's really interesting. I think it's pretty well done in terms of the narration and interplay with recordings and actual interviews.
tx.agg.96
Kate Beckett
AG
We were talking about this in the office just yesterday. Going to give it a listen today since there's not much going on.
Mr.KyleReed
AG
Just started listening because of this thread. Thanks. So far its pretty interesting.
Kate Beckett
AG
This is ridiculous and crazy. Catching up so I can discuss with my coworkers.
MW03
AG
Already through Ep1 and on to the next one. Very cool stuff.
Kate Beckett
AG
All caught up. I want the next one to be released already dadgummit!!!
Wolfpac 08
AG
Just finished the 5th episode this morning! Very intresting!!

Does anyone know when the new episodes are released?
Kate Beckett
AG
Every Thursday if I remember correctly.
Ag2011
AG
If you haven't yet, check out the "Posts" section of their websites. Has some interesting info on the cell phone towers they talked about in the last episode as well as some info on where the body was found and how they're making the podcast.

http://serialpodcast.org/posts
[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2286/2314517773_afb0f83705_m.jpg[/img]
Wolfpac 08
AG
New episode is up! Listened a little on the way to work...some pretty interesting stuff so far
Engine10
AG
Great story so far, I like Koenig's story telling style.
Kate Beckett
AG
Listened to it this morning at work. Great. Excellent actually. +1 on the story telling style. Very easy to understand and flows in a natural conversation.
tx.agg.96
AG
whats everyones thoughts on Adnan? i was almost conviced he did it after todays ep. if the jay guy is lying i cant figure out his motivation.
Jimmy McNulty
AG
I wish they would go in to what happened to Jay after the trial but maybe they will get to that.
Kate Beckett
AG
I'm not sure what to think.
Jimmy McNulty
AG
The dude probably did it. I did hear an interview online with Sarah talking about coming up with doing the show. She and her producer mentioned one of the reasons why they are releasing episodes one by one is they are still kind of investigating the story AND releasing over time would allow others to come forward with information. When asked if that had happened yet, she responded 'Yes'.
BDG02
AG
So many weird aspects of this story that don't add up.

IMO, there's definitely more there than either Jay or Adnan are letting on. Adnan seems to act like they were acquaintances but not really friends; why would he loan a car and a brand new 2 day old cell phone (that he says he worked hard to save up for) to a guy he's not tight with?
MW03
AG
My biggest issue too. But who asks someone they barely know to help them hide a body. Seems like that'd require a hell of a lot of trust.
Mr.KyleReed
AG
for some reason that last podcast, with they putting everything to look like Adnon, for some weird reason I feel like theyre going to flip it on someone else next week. Seems like every week it looks like its either Jay or Adnon. What if they introduce a new character into it? What if Don comes into it more?

Im trying not to look on google for any of this information just because I dont want to read over something that may ruin this podcast for me.

Also I want to know what Adnon thinks happened? I mean hes getting convicted of this crime that he says hes innocent of. What does he think happened, does he think Jay did it?
BDG02
AG
Totally agree MW03; that explanation Jay gave to the cops of why Adnan chose him to help if they truly weren't friends made no sense to me. Because he was the "criminal aspect of Woodlawn" and he helped only because Adnan knew he dealt weed? Come on... When people commit crimes of passion they turn to people they absolutely trust, if anyone, not people they barely know and have no reason to keep their mouth shut. And that's not enough to blackmail a guy into helping bury a body...

I think these guys could have premeditated this, and Jay ratted to try and hide the fact that he was involved in the planning & execution. Still makes no sense how loose and fast they were after the act, calling everyone, smoking out, hanging with friends...
NATE AG03
AG
Good article on Koenig's approach and moving forward with the podcast.

Vulture Article
Kate Beckett
AG
quote:
Good article on Koenig's approach and moving forward with the podcast.

Vulture Article

Great read. Thanks for sharing.
GoAgs92
AG
how many parts will these things be, or is there a set amount?
Professor Frick
AG
Wow, just started this morning, listened to the whole thing so far. This last episode sure makes it look like adnon did it...if he an jay premeditated it, makes sense now why adnon would mutter 'pathetic' to jay as Jay takes the stand...as in, you betrayed our plan.

Let's not forget, it's still REALLY weird how that body was found...
Quinn
AG
Just finished episode 6....

It seems like Adnon did it, but I don't see how they convicted him unless they are not telling a big part of the story. There seems to be no actual hard evidence against Adnon.

Can't wait for the next episode!
Professor Frick
AG
Oh yeah by the way, to be clear, legally there's no way they should have convicted.
Kate Beckett
AG
I was thinking that as well. It all seems circumstantial. I cannot wait for this podcast tomorrow. I still feel like there is something major they are holding back from us.
Quinn
AG
There isn't a set amount, but per that Vulture article, there should be at least 12 episodes.
Mr.KyleReed
AG
Does Adnon ever say what happened, like on his side of the story? If he says he didn't kill her, does he think Jay or someone else did?
BDG02
AG
Nope; he only says he went to the mall with Jay, back to school, to the library, to track practice, then Jay came and picked him up and they hung out and smoked some weed. He just says he has no idea what happened to Hae...
Quinn
AG
So far he basically says that he can't really remember anything unusual about that day. He says "I probably would have" done this or "That sound like what I usually did". Not much of a defense on his part, but again, the burden of proof wasn't on him to prove his innocence. That's why I think we haven't received the whole story from the reporter - or people are convicted of murder much easier than I think...
Mr.KyleReed
AG
quote:
So far he basically says that he can't really remember anything unusual about that day. He says "I probably would have" done this or "That sound like what I usually did". Not much of a defense on his part, but again, the burden of proof wasn't on him to prove his innocence. That's why I think we haven't received the whole story from the reporter - or people are convicted of murder much easier than I think...
Reminds me of that court room scene in Law Abiding Citizen

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.