Name the Best Scene in Film and TV

31,670 Views | 238 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by VanZandt92
israeliag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
With two of the more impressive scenes I've seen in film coming in the past few weeks (That scene in Gone Girl and the dining scene in Fury) I was wondering what some of the best scenes in film and TV are. (I was initially just going to say film, but dat scene from True Detective episode 4 doe)

I'll start with a fairly obvious one: Saving Private Ryan beach landing.
oragator
The Les Marseilles scene in Casablanca is the best scene in the history of movies for me.
The scene sets the paths of all the main characters in maybe the best movie made, with almost no dialogue, against the backdrop of the rousing version of that song.
But on top of that, the scene was filmed in the middle of the war, and many of those actors were European - the emotion in that scene was real for many.
Duncan Idaho
Almost any scene in Glengarry Glen Ross is perfectly cast and performed.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Small screen:

-Money train scene (Season 2 finale) from The Shield. Lightening, camera angles, music, acting (no dialog) were perfect

-Ozymandias episode from Breaking Bad. Whole damn thing. Unreal television.

Big screen...there are so many good one. I'll think on it more.
Bruce Almighty
AG
USS Indianapolis scene in Jaws

Desmond phone call in The Constant episode of Lost.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Which scene in Gone Girl, OP?
israeliag
AG
Brian, (Possible SPOILER for Gone Girl):

Murder scene. I'm not saying it's in the best scenes ever category but I found myself comparing it to Basic Instinct leg cross scene for some reason which helped spark this thread.

Sex Panther
AG
True Detective

The long continuous take in the escape from the projects
Quailmeezy
AG
^^^^ came here to post this. That scene was incredible. Definitely the most tense I have been watching a get away scene recently.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Also need to add the apartment scene in Pulp Fiction
TheCougarHunter
AG
The scene from Inglorious *******s where they're in the bar disguised as Germans

The scene from the Departed where Leo scores with Matt Damon's girlfriend

Always loved the scene from Starship Troopers where they're loading up into the shuttles and going down to fight the bugs.

The Opening Sequence for Top Gun takes the cake though.
R0GUE
AG
quote:
True Detective

The long continuous take in the escape from the projects

Similarly the fight scene that takes place in the courtyard at the Wall in Game of Thrones.
tony
AG
Schindlers list
Little girl in the red coat
Bruce Almighty
AG
Going old school tv: Chocolate factory scene in I Love Lucy
boy09
AG
quote:
The scene from Inglorious *******s where they're in the bar disguised as Germans
The first thing I thought of was the opening scene. The bar scene is awesome also.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Was going to say Pacino and DeNiro's scene in the diner in Heat, but think the shootout after the bank robbery is remarkable.

On the small screen, there are too may scenes from Band of Brothers to pick just one.
Ryan the Temp
AG
Big Screen:
Schindler's List when Oskar Schindler is agonizing over not having been able to save more people.

Small Screen:
LTC Blake's death on M*A*S*H.
I would say The West Wing "Two Cathedrals" for best entire episode.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Big Screen
Yoda lifts Luke's X-Wing out of the Swamp in ESB
Ride of the Rohirrim in Return of the King
Forrest Gump - when he realizes the kid is his son and starts to ask if he's smart or stupid
Shawshank - when Andy realizes Red is walking towards him on the beach
Titanic - when the credits rolled and I got the hell out of there

Small Screen
the aforementioned season 2 finale of the Shield after they rob the money train

First-ever episode of the Shield, when Aceveda turns to Vic to deal with the guy who bought the little girl, and Vic introduces the world to "a different kind of cop". The little smirk Michael Chiklis does when the guy says "Oh, your turn to play bad cop?" is his character defined.

Rescue from New Caprica on Battlestar Galactica

JIm Halpert smiling at the camera after he and Pam are married at Niagra Falls in The Office (they should have ended the series with this episode)

aggiesq
AG
not an all time great but a scene that always stuck with me - from The Prophecy. Archangel Gabriel (Walken) sitting on the steps of a school surrounded by children showing them his trumpet. As the kids leave to go to class he says "study your math kids. it's the key to the universe"

here it is.
gigemags-99
AG
quote:
quote:
The first thing I thought of was the opening scene. The bar scene is awesome also.

Came here to post the "Jew Hunter" scene in the farm house. Awesome!

Favorite scene from tv - Breaking Bad...a lot come to mind, but if I had to pick one it was the simultaneous executions in prison. If you haven't already done so, watch with closed captioning on. There are lines you can't hear at all because of the music, but they show up on CC.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The tavern scene in Basterds is great. Possibly my favorite Tarantino scene.

Some other favorites:
  • Crawl space scene in Breaking Bad
  • Desmond/Penny phone call in LOST
  • The Moria sequence in FOTR (Basically from the goblins chasing the Fellowship to Gandalf falling from the bridge)
  • Lighting of the beacons and charge of the Rohirrim in ROTK
  • Darth Maul lightsaber battle in Phantom Menace
  • Luke staring at the binary sunset in A New Hope
  • Freeway chase in Matrix Reloaded
I'll try to think of some others.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Favorite scene from tv - Breaking Bad...a lot come to mind, but if I had to pick one it was the simultaneous executions in prison. If you haven't already done so, watch with closed captioning on. There are lines you can't hear at all because of the music, but they show up on CC.
Interesting, will have to try this. One of my favorite moments too. Damn, there are so many moments to choose from in BB that it's hard to pick just one.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Turn on the waterworks.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Ninja, that scene. Still makes me sad.

Guess I should add Toy Story 3 ending. I don't think it's possible to watch that scene as a Toy Story fan and not get a little misty.
Ramrod
AG
Not that it is the best scene ever; but the Red Wedding scene from Game of Thrones made me feel a way that I had never felt from a show or movie.
gigemags-99
AG
quote:
quote:
Interesting, will have to try this. One of my favorite moments too. Damn, there are so many moments to choose from in BB that it's hard to pick just one.

Let me know what you think! Mostly around the phone conversation the lawyer is having when they sneak up on him. Definitely makes it harder to stomach.
FancyKetchup14
AG
For TV a few Sopranos scenes come to mind. I won't even try to use the finale for this because that is a thread all on its own. But the scenes between Melfi and Tony, particularly their last one in her office will always be some of the best acting I will ever see. The fight in the episode "Whitecaps" is great too. However, when Tony saves AJ in the pool that was probably when I realized his job in that role was one of the best acting jobs ever. Hank's ending in BB sticks out to me too. As well as Michael's goodbye to Pam in The Office.

The diner scene in Pulp Fiction is one of my all time favorites. Sam Jackson is the man. And the scene in the Hurt Locker when Jeremy Renner pulls the 1911 on that suspicious cab driver and just gives him the death stare.
Duncan Idaho
quote:
Not that it is the best scene ever; but the Red Wedding scene from Game of Thrones made me feel a way that I had never felt from a show or movie.

So filled with glee that you might burst because Kat finally got what she had coming?

gigemags-99
AG
quote:
Hank's ending in BB sticks out to me too.

AgPediRPh
AG
Tough to pick one for Breaking Bad. That's a thread of its own. "Stay out of my territory" or Pinkman's story of how he "killed a dog" are my favorites.
AgPediRPh
AG
Dirty Harry's "do you feel lucky" scene was great and even more badass considering he was bluffing
gigemags-99
AG
quote:
Dirty Harry's "do you feel lucky" scene was great and even more badass considering he was bluffing

Bluffing the first time...
MW03
AG
You could fill the whole thread with nothing but scenes from Goodfellas:
hunter2012
AG
+1 for the the continuous battle pan at the wall in Game of Thrones, it was so seamless and so you get each character's perspective and see the bigger picture of the battle. I wish all multi-view battles could be like that, very very impressive...

Close second is the crawl space scene from breaking bad, I really think that's where Heisenberg completely takes over. You see the transition from total meltdown to hysterical laughter. Such chills...
CajunAg97
AG
The long battle scene in Children of Men, and when he brings out the baby, and they all stop fighting for a few seconds.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.