Foo Fighters Sonic Highways on HBO

9,122 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Jim01
Know Your Enemy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Did anyone else watch this tonight? The show was very cool and I love the concept. Dave Grohl hits another one out of the park.
R0GUE
AG
Watched both it and the online concert afterward. It was badass! I'm looking forward to the one set in Austin later this season.
Know Your Enemy
AG
The Cubby Bear show was killer. Loved when they played Miss You and then followed it with Generator. Very underrated Foos song.
zgood10
AG
Great show
twenty two ags
caught a few minutes - this one was chicago? are they doing more eps/cities?
Know Your Enemy
AG
quote:
caught a few minutes - this one was chicago? are they doing more eps/cities?

8 episodes each in a different city. Washington DC next week.
leachfan
Looking forward to some Bad Brains in the DC episode.
LHIOB
AG
That was awesome
TMoney2007
AG
Foo Fighters... The only group that can pull off this kind of thing.
Know Your Enemy
AG
YES! The Foos have announced a show at Wrigley Field for next August. I'm so there.
taz997
Will I like this if I'm not a foo fighter fan?
Know Your Enemy
AG
Do you like music? Music history? If so, I think you will.
R0GUE
AG
quote:
Do you like music? Music history? If so, I think you will.

Exactly right. You can always turn it off during the final minutes when they unveil the song for their new album. Although I would hope watching the show might start to give you some appreciation of their music.
twenty two ags
as someone else said, it is a 55 minute show and only 10 min are spent on FF stuff, so its easy to skip.
honestly, btwn this series and the sound city doc and his side projects like them crooked vultures, i would say that i am much more of a dave grohl fan than a FF fan.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
quote:
i would say that i am much more of a dave grohl fan than a FF fan.

+1. first episode was great, the song at the end was meh.
Potcake
AG
Finally saw this tonight. Very interesting how Mississippi blues, punk rock, and Foo Fighters are all intertwined. I like FF music but Dave Grohl just seems like a regular dude that would come to your pool party and just dominate. I want to have a beer with him sometime.
Jim01
AG
Finally watched EP1 and loved it. Very much in the vein of his documentary on Sunset Studio which was also great.

I am also a bigger Dave fan than a Foo fan. Can't wait to see the entire run. I think the goal was definitely reached in Episode 1, the lyrics and sound of the song reflected everything learned in the previous hour.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Episode 2 tonight and I just got my ticket to the show at Wrigley. Oh happy day!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Dave Grohl
Professor Frick
AG
Great episode tonight on DC. Liked that they delved into gogo a bit, which I imagine is maybe not real well known outside of the area. These episodes are really well made. My only problem so far is that the foo song at the end each time is so on the nose and heavy with references to the particular town, they're just lyrically kind of, I don't know, lame. They work well in the context of the show as little one off homages to the subject, but this is going to end up being an album of not very good songs, IMO.
TXAGFAN
AG
I'm gonna disagree...lots of music featured tonight (bad brains) is ****. Complete and utter ****.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Seems pretty lame to me so far, but because Grohl is now the self-annointed savior of current rock and roll, it's the type of thing many will be afraid to criticize.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I didn't appreciate tonight's episode as much because I wasn't at all familiar with any of that music. I thought it was interesting how Henry Rollins wasn't interviewed. I assume he declined. Oh well, still a great series and I look forward to next week.
Know Your Enemy
AG
quote:
Seems pretty lame to me so far, but because Grohl is now the self-annointed savior of current rock and roll, it's the type of thing many will be afraid to criticize.

When did he anoint himself that?
Say Chowdah
AG
I've been a long admirer of Grohl's efforts to preserve music, promote music learning and keeping music programs in schools etc.

This is just one more admirable step. I hope he wins an emmy as well as the Kennedy Center Honoree (or some other civil award for this)! The Washington DC episode was really cool!
zgood10
AG
Thought it was another good episode. A bit more obscure
PatAg
AG
It's ok to not like this episode, but you can't say it's complete **** because you don't like the style of music it covers. That's the exact wrong type of mentality to have.
Professor Frick
AG
Yeah I could not give a **** about most punk bands, since theyve made a point to not bother to learn their instruments or how to write a song, but it was still a well made doc of the scene
CheeseSndwch
Watched the Chicago episode last night. Crazy how Albini does not believe in taking points.
twenty two ags
quote:
Great episode tonight on DC. Liked that they delved into gogo a bit, which I imagine is maybe not real well known outside of the area. These episodes are really well made. My only problem so far is that the foo song at the end each time is so on the nose and heavy with references to the particular town, they're just lyrically kind of, I don't know, lame. They work well in the context of the show as little one off homages to the subject, but this is going to end up being an album of not very good songs, IMO.
that was my concern after the first episode/song. frankly, it makes for a REALLY good documentary series, but has the potential for a cheesy album.
seems more genuine and less cheesy than U2's whole discovery of black america aka rattle and hum.
Know Your Enemy
AG
The Nashville episode was nails tonight. Can't wait for Austin next week.
Professor Frick
AG
I liked the nashville one. Funny to see them specifically calling out Florida Georgia Line for being just the absolute worst music in the world, given the recent threads about them on here.

I had no opinion at all of Zac Brown before this show, but he seemed like a decent guy. Amazing studio.

I was kind of surprised they didn't touch on the burgeoning rock/indie scene in Nashville lately, with Jack White studio there, black keys recording there, and even dance guys like Jamie Lidell moving there from England because of the hip new non country scene there.

Oh and once again, good episode topped off with decent song and cringeworthy on the nose lyrics. Ugh.
PatAg
AG
I guess they did interview the Black Keys I guess, but I agree.
R0GUE
AG
I kind of like the songs personally, but I'm an unabashed Foo Fighters apologist. I think if you just heard the songs on the radio and hadn't watched the show leading up to it, you wouldn't even notice all the little quotes and nods in the lyrics. It makes me feel like an insider that I know what the lyrics actually mean.

I really loved the episode; I liked them ripping on modern pop/country while giving major props to Dolly, Emmylou, Steve Earle, Johnny, Willie, etc. and I thought that was quite an astute point to make that country is rooted in positivity, whereas most rock/punk is rooted in misery.
AgPediRPh
AG
Also loved when the original and the Zeppelin cover of "When the Levee Breaks" were played.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.