WHIPLASH Is an Explosive, Riveting Masterpiece

35,414 Views | 211 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by MSFC Aggie
LuvMarley
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just saw Whiplash in theater tonight. INTENSE. I was truly exhausted at the end. Not sure watching at home or on a plane would have the same impact but it should be watched.
k20dub
AG
Plan to watch it this weekend. Can't wait!
k20dub
AG
Ended up watching it last night. Wow, great movie. Loved Teller and Simmons' performances. Was very tensed up from the opening scene. What a ride. Highly recommend
PooDoo
AG
Great movie & interview
I had a few flashbacks to high school choir.
PoopKing
AG
Enjoyed it. Very intense and didn't want it to end.
COOL LASER FALCON
At this point, not sure there's anything new to add. That was awesome. I'm not sure how JK Simmons played it so over the top without making it cartoonish. I was fully expecting the conductor version of DDL in There Will be Blood, but it was somehow believable.

I've watched the last scene at least three times now. Wow.

Here's a link to the short film by the way, which is pretty good. I didn't end the movie just totally in awe of Teller, but after watching this, he definitely added a lot to the feature.

Know Your Enemy
AG
Thanks for posting that. Been wanting to see it since I heard JK Simmons talk about it on Stern. Makes me appreciate the film even more now.
PooDoo
AG
Watching the short reminded me... Anyone think he was coming on to the kid when he was leaning in with his hand on the wall asking him about his parents?

Also, I missed JK on snl but wouldn't a Whiplash parody with The Mad Drummer be funny...
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
Watching the short reminded me... Anyone think he was coming on to the kid when he was leaning in with his hand on the wall asking him about his parents?

Not at all
Know Your Enemy
AG
**** no. What the hell is wrong with you?
MaroonStain
AG
Very good film. Definitely delivered.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:

That was more my initial response
PooDoo
AG
quote:
He was getting all up in his space... Awkwardly close at least.
95_Aggie
AG
Sorry ... didn't like it. The story was WAY over the top.

If someone had thrown a cymbal at Fletcher's head at the very beginning it would have put everyone out of their misery. I have know several music teachers that got the best out of their students without demeaning and belittling them like that.
dfphotos
Because it's real life and all
Jack Thauer
Tmoneyag99
AG
quote:
watched over the weekend online and find myself watching segments here and there today and yesterday. thought it was great. Teller was also very good in a lesser known movie a couple years back called Spectacular Now co-starring Shailene Woodley.

Actually watched The Spectacular Now and Whiplash back to back this weekend. I thought TSN was a pretty good little film, but Whiplash was quite the thrill ride. I felt like I was back in two-a-days during every JK scene. Just as everyone else has said...that final scene...wow. The only time I felt the movie fell short was the lack of character development of his girlfriend Nicole. Just seemed quick and rushed, but maybe they were trying to maintain the theme of Tempo. Best film I saw from the 2014 class.

Full disclosure, when I first saw the title of the movie I was hoping this was about thrash metal.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
The only time I felt the movie fell short was the lack of character development of his girlfriend Nicole. Just seemed quick and rushed, but maybe they were trying to maintain the theme of Tempo.

They were rushing, not dragging
Know Your Enemy
AG
NOT MY ****ING TEMPO!
Ed Carter
AG
I'm sorry but i have to bump this...easily the best movie I have seen in a very long time. I'm not sure how many of you can relate to it but I literally felt like I was watching myself on screen...I don't play a musical instrument but the themes of this movie really hit home with me from a personal/career standpoint. Amazing acting and delivery. Go see it if you haven't
Tobias Funke
AG
quote:

If someone had thrown a cymbal at Fletcher's head at the very beginning it would have put everyone out of their misery. I have know several music teachers that got the best out of their students without demeaning and belittling them like that.

If you went into this movie expecting Mr Holland's Opus, I can see how you might not have enjoyed it
Quailmeezy
AG
Saw this yesterday and absolutely loved it. My first thought after I finished watching the movie...

"Hmmm maybe I should practice my guitar a bit"

Agree that a little more storyline with the girlfriend would have been interesting. Favorite movie I have seen in a long time though!
Nagler
AG
Just finished it. Awesome.

I'm not a very musical person and I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Agree with above, the girlfriend angle could have used a little more focus. Didn't really have many feelings for her and I think a few more scenes would have helped out.

I recommend it.
Btron
AG
quote:
At this point, not sure there's anything new to add. That was awesome. I'm not sure how JK Simmons played it so over the top without making it cartoonish. I was fully expecting the conductor version of DDL in There Will be Blood, but it was somehow believable.

I've watched the last scene at least three times now. Wow.

Here's a link to the short film by the way, which is pretty good. I didn't end the movie just totally in awe of Teller, but after watching this, he definitely added a lot to the feature.

That YouTube link does not work. Does anyone have another source or a way to watch that short film?
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Just watched this. Fantastic movie and incredible ending scene.

The part where he slowed the snare way down... And then sped it up and the whole band came in gave me chills.
Muy
AG
One of the best dramas I've ever seen, simply amazing. To absolutely hate Fletcher (as the viewer) and then see him realize he's gotten his Charlie Parker was powerful. You almost cared for the guy at that very moment, and love the kid when he has surpassed Fletcher and tells him "wait for the queue". Brilliant.
Saxsoon
AG
Tosh.0 just parodied it. For such a small movie this one has gotten so much attention and cultural significance because of jk Simmons.
bangobango
AG
Watched it yesterday. Enjoyed it, but not as much as everyone is hyping it up to be.

As an educator, I found a lot of it too over-the-top and hard to believe. I think my years of teaching really colored my opinion of the movie.

I felt like in the end the teacher won, not the student. It came across as Stockholm syndrome or like a battered wife more than anything else.
Saxsoon
AG
I think that was the point of the teacher winning
armadillojackal02
AG
***SPOILERS***

from interviews w/ the director:

Where do you think these two go after this movie ends? They had a moment at the end of the film, but I feel these two will always hate each other.
I think so. I think it's definitely a fleeting thing. I think there's a certain amount of damage that will always have been done. Fletcher will always think he won and Andrew will be a sad, empty shell of a person and will die in his 30s of a drug overdose. I have a very dark view of where it goes.

That should have been a postscript at the end of the movie, "And at 30, he dies of a drug overdose.
"
That would be great, right before the credits, "Oh, by the way." It's a post credit thing, like the Marvel movies. It's his funeral.
armadillojackal02
AG
I've read that Miles Teller did almost all of his own drumming, that he was a drummer already, but didn't know anything about jazz drumming, and you and other people had to teach him that for the film. Did you have to visually cheat around anything in terms of his ability?

Chazelle: Much less than I thought. Certainly, one thing I should clarifyhe did pretty much all of the visual drumming onscreen, but the audio of the drum solo at the end is mostly not Miles. He's not actually the greatest drummer on planet Earth. [Laughs.] But he learned how to seem like he was the greatest drummer on Earth. It's all about visual tricks. It's about doing stuff that looks difficult, but isn't that difficult. As a drummer myself, I knew what those things are. Piano's the same thing. It's really easy for pianists to do fast arpeggios, and people look at it and go "Wow," but it's still actually easy. As a drummer, it's pretty easy to do fast stick work, and spin around, and do stuff that's really fast, or do over/underarm stuff. There are just certain kinds of things you can do that look impressive.Ironically, some of the hardest stuff Miles had to do in this movie was just some of the beats. Not even the drum solos. Just the beat to "Whiplash" is really hard. That's a beat that actually sounds easier than it is, because it's in a weird time signature, and it's just ****ed-up. We did a few weeks with him at the drum set, just crash-course training on specifically what he would have to play in the movie. And he was so good on set that we almost never had to use a double. There's a couple of things here and there where there's a close-up on his hands, or the top of his head, where it's a double. But even stuff where you normally would use a double, like really wide shots, or shots of his back, or quick pan shots where we could get away with a double if we needed to, it's actually Miles. I was pretty impressed on set. He really brought it. Even a good 40 percent or so of what you hear on the soundtrack is live audio from him playing on set. He did a good job.
PJYoung
AG
quote:

I thought it was over the top and repetitive.

I did not love it but I am sure part of that is because of the enormous expectations I had for it.

My wife and teen didn't think it was great either.
cajunaggie08
AG
I saw it friday night and thought it was great. While my band directors were no where near as intense as Fletcher, it did bring back some memories of the pressure cooker that is high school band. So many chair auditions where you had it perfect in practice only to crack or flub a note the one time it counts and to be publicly demoted in front of all your peers. As much as we got made fun of in high school, band does a really good job of preparing you for the lessons of real life. Not everyone is a winner.
COOL LASER FALCON
I think y'all are making it too small if you're thinking just about band or music. I think it applies to just about anyone at the top of their field.
CajunAg97
AG
The scene where he destroyed his brother and his Div III football personifies that.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.