Netflix really dropping the ball this October / Halloween

3,314 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by swimmerbabe11
mhayden
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Next to nothing good on streaming in the horror genre. Not sure if companies have jacked up their rates or what, but in previous years there's always been a very good selection. Kind of been my October tradition to watch one every day while working from home, and looks like I'll be relegated to one of the apparently 137 Hellraiser movies they made.

A few have stood out though:

Shivers -- Very underrated David Cronenberg flick... Weird, but kinda goes without saying with the director. About sex/attraction spreading like a virus. Think Night of the Living Dead... but the zombies want sex instead of brains.

Daughters of Satan -- I still haven't found Devil Dog and the Hounds of Hell anywhere to satisfy my childhood of bad movies on network TV nostalgia, but this came close. One Tom Selleck would like people to forget. About an old painting from some witch hangings that have features that come to life. Very 70s feel to it... For whatever reason the way these films were shot and acted back then have a very creepy and surreal feeling to them.

Anyone find some other good ones?
BurnetAggie99
Recently watched my little eye on Netflix. Has Bradley Cooper in it. Was a solid movie worth seeing. I'd give it a 6 on a scale of 1 to 10.
TXAG 05
AG
I agree, was looking at that the other day, very disappointing. At least AMC always shows a lot of the newer classics, Halloween(my favorite), Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street and their sequels, etc.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Was looking through the horror flicks last night. Pisses me off they have random Halloween/Friday the 13th/Nightmare on Elm Street sequels, but none of the originals.

If they can get the rights to one or two of them, surely they can get the rights to the whole series.
tamuags08
AG
quote:
Recently watched my little eye on
Netflix. Has Bradley Cooper in it. Was a solid movie worth seeing. I'd
give it a 6 on a scale of 1 to 10.
After reading about the plot, I went to try and add this to my netflix queue, but it doesn't look like its available anymore.
BurnetAggie99
Really watched it about 3 weeks ago. I agree that Netflix is slacking & we end up watching more stuff on Amazon Prime & Hulu plus.
Jacques
Fright Night is a good one.
BurnetAggie99
Fright Night the original is better than the remake. The original is very underated IMO.
Sex Panther
AG
VHS & VHS 2

Found footage anthology series. Some are really awesome. Some are not so good. But all are pretty creative.

The second one though, has the most bat **** crazy story I've ever seen (last one with the Cult). Seriously, it is absolutely nuts.

I also enjoyed The House of The Devil and The Innkeepers, both by Ti West. Kind of 80's throwbacks.
Sex Panther
AG
http://thoughtcatalog.com/rob-fee/2014/10/23-of-the-best-horror-movies-you-can-watch-on-netflix-right-now/

http://news.moviefone.com/2014/10/09/best-horror-movies-on-netflix/
Dro07
AG
wait... Netflix adds movies to their streaming?
swimmerbabe11
Not 13 Sins.

Its not good.
mhayden
Looking through that linked list...

You're Next I found to be rather mediocre.

Never Sleep Again I pre-ordered on Amazon so I'm probably not a unbiased reviewer, but if like me you grew up in the 80s to Nightmare on Elm Street then it's a great watch. Most of "how they got their big movie breaks" like Johnny Depp, Patricia Arquette, Renny Harlin, etc... I already knew... But I had forgotten just how massive the merchandising was for that show and how Freddy was one of the bigger "moviestars" of that decade.

Creepshow 2 is worth it just for "The Raft". I actually wrote a college paper on that and got one of my few 'A's.

Blair Witch Project I can't imagine holds up very well on home television sets.

Hellraiser still a classic, but as mentioned in a previous post -- type it into Netflix and see just how much they milked that franchise. There's literally 20+ movies.

Cabin In the Woods - still one of my favorite movies (of any genre) in the last 10 years. Not scary, but brilliant and a ton of fun.

Sex Panther
AG
It's not on Netflix but check out Trick R Treat... Not real scary but tons of fun, especially if you love Halloween. It's become my go to film every year on either the 30th or 31st.
tamuags08
AG
quote:
It's not on Netflix but check out Trick R Treat... Not real scary but tons of fun, especially if you love Halloween.
It's become my go to film every year on either the 30th or 31st.

Definitely agree.
BigAggieCane
AG
I watched The Collector last night and thought is was pretty good. Gory and had a few cheesy moments but worth it.
mhayden
Watched Fright Night last night and wasn't all that impressed... but probably unfair to see it after viewing The Lost Boys as it obviously inspired it quite a bit.
BurnetAggie99
Fright Night was in 1985 and Lost Boys was in 1987. Both very good films. Also Fright Night 2 is pretty decent as well.
BurnetAggie99
The Monster Squad is another good film but can be hard to find. I bought it off Amazon.
Sex Panther
AG
Love both Fright Night and Lost Boys a ton. Cheesy 80's horror at it's best.
BurnetAggie99
The 80's had a lot of good horror flicks. Friday the 13th parts 2 thru 4. The Howling, Nightmare on Elm Street, The Evil Dead, From Beyond, The Shining, The Changeling, The Thing, Lost Boys, Fright Night, The Entity, American Werewolf in London. Likely leaving some off here but cant remember them all. The 80's is stacked with good horror films.
mhayden
This is usually where I make my annual post about how underrated John Carpenter was during that time period:

1976 - Assault on Precinct 13
1978 - Halloween
1980 - The Fog
1981 - Escape from New York
1982 - The Thing
1983 - Christine
1984 - Starman
1986 - Big Trouble in Little China
1987 - Prince of Darkness
1988 - They Live

With nothing in between. Not a lot of directors ever had a decade like that.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Just wanted to include In the Mouth of Madness in your Carpenter list.

Creepy as hell and IMO his last great film.
mhayden
I left off In the Mouth of Madness because it would have required me to include Memoirs of an Invisible Man which preceded it which I felt cheapened the list a bit

But I agree it is very good.

I also have a soft spot for Vampires... Plot is a little thin, but James Woods AND a Baldwin brother? Can't beat that.

jr15aggie
AG
Dead Snow!

Yes it's subtitled, but who cares. If you like an old fashioned gore fest with some comedy, this is for you. At one point in the movie I was laughing uncontrollably... and yet a few minutes prior I couldn't watch without cringing. Very well done for a foreign flick!
BurnetAggie99
Dead Snow 2 is actually better than the first one. Check it out if you haven't seen it.
AGnBCS
AG
+ 1 on john Carpenter

The thing is great and always loved the premise of Prince of Darkness.

A remake would be great if they would expand on the transmissions via the future a bit.
Saxsoon
AG
Watched detention from that list. This was the craziest movie I have seen. Not crazy as in violence but crazy as in Scott pilgrim. This is a horror version of scot pilgrim. So many references to so many films that I can't mention without spoilers. Very frenetic and I am not exactly sure what happened at times but I liked it
swimmerbabe11
Here is a good list:
http://www.nerdist.com/vepisode/real-housewives-of-horrors-brea-grants-favorite-horror-films-you-havent-seen/
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.