New Pink Floyd album in November

2,708 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Aust Ag
Echoes97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Pretty excited about this, as David is saying it's somewhat of an extension of The Division Bell and came out of those sessions. This would appear to be the last piece of music we'll ever get as "Pink Floyd". Hope it's not just On An Island Part 2 also. We shall see, I'm linking to an interview with David and Nick talking about the project. You can also find clips of it on YouTube. Anyone else excited?

David and Nick discuss The Endless River
Us And Them - The Pink Floyd Experience
http://www.usandthemband.net
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I just want a PF tour with Waters and Gilmour together.
Say Chowdah
AG
quote:
I just want a PF tour with Waters and Gilmour together.

Not gonna happen.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Everything I've read and heard leads me to believe this will be a giant snoozefest. And that disappoints me greatly.
19 inch cobra
quote:
Everything I've read and heard leads me to believe this will be a giant snoozefest. And that disappoints me greatly.

So, it will be just like every other Pink Floyd album?
Know Your Enemy
AG
No, quite the opposite.
MSFC Aggie
AG
Has anybody given it a listen? I've been listening to it this morning. It's not making me go wow. Definitely good stuff to mellow out to though.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Pretty much the same feeling. It's good background music to relax to at work.
wesag
AG
While I like Meddle and I own The Wall, i'm just glad the Sex Pistols and The Clash kicked Pink Floyd out to the street.

I love that live show they did in Roman ruins, but they're generally unlistenable for much of their material. Instrumentally sound doesn't equate with good listening, no matter how many times i've heard Dark Side.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Sex Pistols and Clash above Floyd?

Good god man.
wesag
AG
Like I say man, just because Floyd played tight, doesn't mean The Clash wasn't better. Thank God for punk rock giving us a little energy and DIY.
Saul Goodman
AG
I get what you're saying and I used to feel the same way about Floyd. However, for me, the sound just kinda "clicked" one day. Ever since then, I'm under the opinion there isn't a better rock band in history.

wesag
AG
Rush is a better band.

Guys I cannot tell you how many times i've listened to Floyd, hoping it would click. In the end, I'll take ACDC, all day long, despite much of ACDC sounding the same.
Aust Ag
AG
AC-DC/Floyd = Apples and Oranges.
Texaggie7nine
My first once over the album I got a real feel of rehashed PF sounds and riffs being remixed.

With Div Bell I heard some new concepts and great songs. With this it's like they tried to capture a greatest hits thrown into a blender and spit out a lot of their past successful concepts in a way that is played just different enough to call them new songs.

Unfortunately I do not partake in the activity which contributed to elevating my experience of listening to PF anymore, so this is the first time I've started out listening to an album sober and have no reference of how it plays out when in that state. So there's that. However I can attest to being just as satisfied with most of their work being perfectly sober.

I will continue to listen to it over for a few more times before I really make a judgement on it.

Div Bell probably wasn't as fully appreciated by me until I had heard it several times.
7nine
BarryProfit
Comparing Rush or ACDC or punk rock to Floyd makes no sense, they aren't anywhere close to the same types of music.
FancyKetchup14
AG
quote:
Rush is a better band.

Guys I cannot tell you how many times i've listened to Floyd, hoping it would click. In the end, I'll take ACDC, all day long, despite much of ACDC sounding the same.
I want to vomit. The only thing good about Rush is the drummer. That singer makes my ears bleed. I'm a young man and I love PF, they're one of my favorite classic rock bands ever right behind Led Zeppelin. Granted this is because my dad is a classic rock enthusiast and I grew up listening to it with him in the garage and in his truck going on trips. Say what you want and you're entitled to your own opinion, but you can't deny that Pink Floyd was arguably one of the most influential bands on the Rock genre. I hated their first three albums, they were a little too...shroomy for my liking. But Dark Side of the Moon on vinyl will change your life. That being said, to put The Clash above PF in terms of a legacy is almost heresy.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
quote:
Rush is a better band.

I want to vomit. The only thing good about Rush is the drummer. That singer makes my ears bleed. I'm a young man and I love PF, they're one of my favorite classic rock bands ever right behind Led Zeppelin. Granted this is because my dad is a classic rock enthusiast and I grew up listening to it with him in the garage and in his truck going on trips. Say what you want and you're entitled to your own opinion, but you can't deny that Pink Floyd was arguably one of the most influential bands on the Rock genre. I hated their first three albums, they were a little too...shroomy for my liking. But Dark Side of the Moon on vinyl will change your life. That being said, to put The Clash above PF in terms of a legacy is almost heresy.
Are you me?
Echoes97
AG
Well after several listens, I gotta say I'm a bit underwhelmed. Now, that's partially because I (stupidly) allowed my expectations to grow out of proportion to what this "album" is. Even after watching and reading interviews w/ Gilmour and Mason, where they explicitly (and correctly) describe what The Endless River is.

It is exactly what they described, a collection of ambient parts, cobbled together to honor Rick and to bring to light the last of The Division Bell material. It's great to hear David's guitar sound from TDB again though, and that's in full effect on several of the pieces. All in all it's cool, but feels very incomplete, but again they didn't sell it any other way so it's hard to find fault with that. Also, the only song with true lyrics, "Louder Than Words", sounds like a David Gilmour solo track mostly, and that's cool, at least he's said he's going to release more solo music next year.

Still, it's great to hear Rick's lush keyboard soundscapes again. Recommend if you're a big fan, and a completeist, but I feel like most casual fans will give it a big fat "meh."

Lastly, if you're in Houston and are a Floyd fan, we'll be doing another reunion show at Warehouse Live on Saturday, April 4th, 2015!
wesag
AG
Rush >>> pink Floyd. Lifeson is a fantastic guitarist, always has been. Geddy is an incredible bassist and damn he has a fantastic, falsetto voice. Ear piercing quality.

Let me know when Pink Floyd can sniff the Jock strap of 2112 or La Villa Strangiato. Hell I'll take By tor the snow dog.

And thank heavens for Johnny Rotten and Joe Strummer. God Save the Queen and I'm So Bored with theUSA. I bet they wiped their ass with Rolling Stone magazine from the early seventies.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I love The Clash. Probably one of my top 5 favorite bands, but trying to compare them to Pink Floyd is a little weird. I can't stand Rush. Yes, they are talented, but something about their sound turns me off. I think I'd rather listen to Nickleback.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Just because they don't make a certain type of music doesn't mean they can't play it. I love both bands but prefer Floyd because it has so much more soul.
MSFC Aggie
AG
Echoes...I've been meaning to ask...have you checked out The World's Greatest Tribute Bands on axs tv? They had a Lynyrd Skynyrd tribute this week, but they were very meh. A couple of weeks ago they had a Boston/Styx tribute...and they were damn good. I would love to see a PF tribute on there.
Echoes97
AG
MSFC:
Yeah I've watched several episodes, it's been very hit or miss. Did not see the Skynyrd tribute yet but not shocking if they were mediocre. Skynyrd is one of those bands that IMO doesn't get the respect they deserve in terms of how good they were as a band (especially live). As overplayed as it is, I don't know that I've ever heard someone play the guitar solo to "Sweet Home Alabama" even close to correctly.

Anyway, I digress, but I think there either has been or will be the guys from "Which One's Pink?" (LA based PF tribute) on that show. I've heard them before and they were pretty good. I'm a little biased but I think we sound a bit better. The only 2 PF tributes I've heard that blew me away were Brit Floyd (awesome) and to a lesser extent the Australian PF show.

Know Your Enemy
AG
I got to see Us And Them once and they were fantastic.
Texaggie7nine
quote:
Rush >>> pink Floyd. Lifeson is a fantastic guitarist, always has been. Geddy is an incredible bassist and damn he has a fantastic, falsetto voice. Ear piercing quality.

Let me know when Pink Floyd can sniff the Jock strap of 2112 or La Villa Strangiato. Hell I'll take By tor the snow dog.

And thank heavens for Johnny Rotten and Joe Strummer. God Save the Queen and I'm So Bored with theUSA. I bet they wiped their ass with Rolling Stone magazine from the early seventies.

Remind me to never respect any opinion on music you ever post again. What a waste of text.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Dream Theater is a much better technically than Led Zeppelin. Let me know how many people think they're a better band than Zeppelin.

It's not just about technical ability.
FancyKetchup14
AG
quote:

I just don't know what to say. Normally when people say "ear piercing" they aren't using it as a term of fondness. I honestly thought the lead singer of Rush was a girl for the longest time. Falsetto is cool when you aren't singing in it during 90% of all your songs. I love Tom Sawyer and I would totally jam out to that if I saw them play it live but their other songs just aren't appealing and quite frankly, his voice ruins it for me. Does it mean they're bad musicians? Not at all, I just don't think they are that great in terms of legacy and influence, especially when compared to Pink Floyd. I mean PF has the second best selling album of all time...I think people should be sniffing their jock strap. Music is all about personal taste and preferences, I get that. But you cannot ignore when a band has a cultural impact like that of PF.

Oh and by the smallest of margins....Carter Beauford >>> Neil Peart
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Bonzo > either.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
quote:
quote:
Bonzo > either.

Don't be silly..
FancyKetchup14
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Bonzo > either.

Don't be silly..

I'm just a DMB homer. They're my favorite band ever and in my opinion, the most talented group of artists currently. Some people think otherwise, and that's fine. That's what makes music so unique to each listener.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Bonzo > either.

Don't be silly..

I'm just a DMB homer. They're my favorite band ever and in my opinion, the most talented group of artists currently. Some people think otherwise, and that's fine. That's what makes music so unique to each listener.

I agree 100%
ElCheAg
AG
quote:
quote:

Remind me to never respect any opinion on music you ever post again. What a waste of text.
This.
NukeAg10
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Rush is a better band.

Are you me?

thought the exact same thing. I've got the same story as this dude. the syd Barrett Floyd isn't really for me, but after that they are one of my favorite bands of all time. got it from my dad, no doubt. dark side on vinyl, or with some noise canceling headphones, is one of my greatest experiences as a music lover. smoothest band ever, and that was before the digital age.
BarryProfit
quote:

Don't worry bro you lost all your music credibility like three posts ago, no need to continually reinforce it.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.