American Horror Story season 4 - Freak Show

14,720 Views | 102 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by chick79
bushytailed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The new season started tonight. I am terrified of clowns. We shall see how the season plays out.
chick79
AG
We'll see. Wasn't overly impressed with this first episode.
Ol Jock 99
AG
The sound mixing was really really odd. The "background" music often drowned out the dialog.

Twisty the Clown is the stuff of nightmares.
IceAg08
AG
Couldn't understand Jessica Lange most of the time. Only because season 1 was so damn good will I continue to watch.... Also that clown was awesome. I agree on the background music being too loud
zap
AG
I'm gonna give this one a whirl. The whole freak show concept looks good to me. Hoping this one doesn't derail too early like previous seasons.
Daveintx
I took a lot of the sound mixing as trying to feel like an older horror movie, but that was just me...

At least they got the musical number out of the way early this round
BQ78
AG
The clown is their only hope based on the first episode.
gigemags-99
AG
Have never watched the show and was thinking about starting season one and catching up...but, if there are clowns involved, f*** it...I'm out.
MASAXET
AG
quote:
Have never watched the show and was thinking about starting season one and catching up...but, if there are clowns involved, f*** it...I'm out.

This, this, so much this!!!!
DannyDuberstein
AG
Watch Season 1. Season 2 and 3 I could take or leave.
TXAG 05
AG
quote:
The clown is their only hope based on the first episode.

This. Not really sure where they are planning to go with this season. Freaks in tent just doesn't scream horror story to me.
swimmerbabe11
http://digg.com/video/mat-fraser-of-american-horror-story-freak-show-is-an-inspiration

Some of the clips look stylistically similar to Carnivale from Showtime a while back
Clavell
AG
Season 1 - very good
Season 2 - very very bad
Season 3 - some good, some bad
Season 4 - not a great start
Daveintx
Season 2's problem was that it couldn't decide what direction it really wanted to go.... If you take the weird alien thing out it gets much better, but instead you are stuck with mutants, aliens, demons AND a killer, none of which really jelled as the season went on
cr0wbar
AG
Watched it for the first time with my fiance last night. She loved season 1 like most of you. And I'm in agreement - the clown was the only redeeming thing about it. It was nearly impossible to make out what Jessica Lange was saying. Not really scary watching her sing on stage.

That said- that was my first and last episode of the American Horror series. She said she would give it one more episode.
SQXVI
AG
glad I saw this thread. I too loved season 1 and then was mystified by how stupid season 2 appeared to be. Looks like season 3 is just as bad, will wait to hear from y'all on whether or not season 4 is any decent.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
I really enjoyed season 3. I thought the first episode of season 4 was pretty good as well, but I agree with the criticism about the sound mixing....very hard to understand Jessica Lange. Also regarding the "glad they got the musical number out of the way" comment....this season is supposedly much more musical than the previous seasons. Besides the Bowie song last night, in the preview they showed for next weeks episode, once of the Siamese heads was shown singing Fiona Apple, so I tend to believe it.

And yeah, that clown was badass. I'm not one of those folks that's afraid of clowns but if you're someone who is, this one is gonna haunt your dreams for life.
SQXVI
AG
is anybody oddly turned on by lange and her awesome mirren-esque old lady fakies?
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Lange's accent is terrible. It ruined the entire episode for me. And I don't care if it was intentional, that song during the show was difficult to watch without covering your ears. It just felt so realistically bad, if that makes any sense.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Madden
I've never found clowns creepy... That clown is creepy as ****
ellebee
I got chills talking about the poltergeist clown last night. This clown is pretty up there but didn't freak me out a bad as I thought it would. Now if that thing gives me nightmares, we got problems.
Beer Baron
AG
Really the only word for that clown is "pants-sheetingly god fooking awful."
ellebee
quote:

OMG hahahahaha!!!
GinaLinetti
AG
quote:

This. I hate him
Geralt of Rivia
S
ElephantRider
AG
They got the perfect person to play Twisty too. I read an article that when Lynch films his scenes a lot of the crew leaves because he's that unsettling
strohag
AG
Over/under how many episodes we go before some type of homo erotica pops up this season?
RM03
Kathy Bates has a terrible accent too. Is it supposed to be some of Swedish accent?
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
I didn't think Lange's accent was bad at all. Meanwhile, I kept thinking Bates' accent was so incredibly well done...she is such a good actress. That accent is a very specific mid-Atlantic type. Like Delaware/Maryland type. She nailed it.
ElephantRider
AG
quote:
I didn't think Lange's accent was bad at all. Meanwhile, I kept thinking Bates' accent was so incredibly well done...she is such a good actress. That accent is a very specific mid-Atlantic type. Like Delaware/Maryland type. She nailed it.

Not sure about the exact area, but I liked it. Didn't think Lange'a was that bad, either
Ol Jock 99
AG
quote:
Kathy Bates has a terrible accent too. Is it supposed to be some of Swedish accent?

We looked it up. Rural Midwestern Canada. Supposedly spot on. I assume it will play at part.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Where'd you see that, Jock? I'd bet my left nut its a Baltimore-ish accent. Used to work with a guy from that area and he sounded just like that. We used to give him **** about sounding like Mira Sorvino in Romy and Michelle.......
Ol Jock 99
AG
The boss looked it up...but now I'm seeing Baltimore or Philly too. So who knows.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Ahhh, interesting.
ellebee
quote:
Over/under how many episodes we go before some type of homo erotica pops up this season?

Flipper boy doin work?
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.