*** GONE GIRL ***

35,528 Views | 193 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by exitone
TresPuertas
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Finally saw it on HBO, and like many I couldn't get over the enormous plot holes. Any slight bit of investigation would have punched numerous holes in the story she gave. Primarily, the fact that desI ljkely lived out of state and she got in the car, driove cross country covered in blood and didn't once think to contact her husband or any authorities, ESPECIALLY after killing someone.

It was just too much for me to get over.
boogieman
AG
quote:
Primarily, the fact that desI ljkely lived out of state and she got in the car, driove cross country covered in blood and didn't once think to contact her husband or any authorities, ESPECIALLY after killing someone.

It was just too much for me to get over.

You weren't paying attention then. They told you where Desi lived and it wasn't cross country.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yep. Desi lived in St Louis. Which is in Missouri. Which is the state she went missing from.
cr0wbar
AG
I loved this movie. Will have to DL on Blu-Ray
TresPuertas
AG
I guess I didn't hear it very well then. When Affleck gets off a plane and shows up to his house it looked like he specifically flew there to talk to him. I assumed that he also left on a plane.

Also, its odd that Amy was from NYC, and her ex-boyfriend was also from Missouri like her current husband. I guess it isn't that ridiculous, but its also a bit far fetched. Could happen I guess

Still, there are plenty of things that I noticed that wouldn't jive, and typically I'd be fine with it in a normal movie, but so much of this was based on investigations and police work. To abandon all that to accept such ridiculous behavior just to include a crazy plot twist doesn't happen. I'm just fine suspending reality for Bond movies, but when you throw out what the entire movie is based on, I don't acccept that.

Like I said, a bare minimum amount of basic police work and Amy spends her life in prison.
LuvMarley
Read book and it sucked. Just couldn't understand what in the world I missed that made others all ga ga over it so watched movie. It sucked too.
Stive
AG
Man....some of you guys are so highbrow.

I agree there were definitely some plot holes. The book readers have explained away some of them (the movie didn't have time to include every stop gap), but I think that led to the frustration that he couldn't get out.....at least not the way he wanted.

Overall, entertaining movie with a fun twist. Good directing, good-great acting (whoever said the main girl sucked.....seriously?), don't care to watch it again, but don't feel like it was a waste of my time either.

On a slightly separate note, I dated a girl right out of HS that had a little bit of this potential nutbag in her. After a few months, my dad even started "gently" warning me that she wasn't all there and to make sure I wasn't getting into any situations where she could claim anything (rape, abuse, etc). But she was beyond hot, so while I listened to him and filed those comments away, I continued on. When the break up came (I called it off with her), it was pretty epic. To the point where she went so far off the deep end threatening murder, suicide, showing up in weird/unexpected places, that I notified her parents, wrote detailed accounts with additional witness statements, and sent them to her mom and dad.

After hearing the story from me, and reading the letters/statements, they pulled her out of college, brought her home, and entered her into a professional counseling/therapy program. Watching Gone Girl, I had a flashback and wondered...."what if..."

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
Man....some of you guys are so highbrow.

I agree there were definitely some plot holes. The book readers have explained away some of them (the movie didn't have time to include every stop gap), but I think that led to the frustration that he couldn't get out.....at least not the way he wanted.

Overall, entertaining movie with a fun twist. Good directing, good-great acting (whoever said the main girl sucked.....seriously?), don't care to watch it again, but don't feel like it was a waste of my time either.

On a slightly separate note, I dated a girl right out of HS that had a little bit of this potential nutbag in her. After a few months, my dad even started "gently" warning me that she wasn't all there and to make sure I wasn't getting into any situations where she could claim anything (rape, abuse, etc). But she was beyond hot, so while I listened to him and filed those comments away, I continued on. When the break up came (I called it off with her), it was pretty epic. To the point where she went so far off the deep end threatening murder, suicide, showing up in weird/unexpected places, that I notified her parents, wrote detailed accounts with additional witness statements, and sent them to her mom and dad.

After hearing the story from me, and reading the letters/statements, they pulled her out of college, brought her home, and entered her into a professional counseling/therapy program. Watching Gone Girl, I had a flashback and wondered...."what if..."

required reading for all teenage boys - you were definitely in the danger zone.

notice the crazy scale only goes from 4-10.

KidDoc
AG
Wife and I watched it last night on HBO finally, enjoyed it! Interesting story and characters.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BigTimeAlum
AG
Just watched this. I thought the acting was great and enjoyed the story. The ending is horrifically stupid. It's like they were writing a great story and couldn't figure out a good ending so they just stopped and tried to call it art.

Horrible movie.
Chipotlemonger
AG
You're a horrible poster. HTH.
Wes97
AG

That was on the most idiotic main stream hit movie I have ever seen. Thought I was watching the lifetime movie network the whole time. Just flat out terrible,
Cancelled
AG
A well produced lifetime movie. I thought the story ridiculous.
BigTimeAlum
AG
quote:
exitone
AG
Watched this last night. My guess is my comment matches many others... Very good movie, Affleck was very good, but WTF was up with the ending. Really under delivers.
mhayden
Had high expectations... but yeah. A very well made and directed movie that didn't have a very good storyline.

Lead chick's acting was way too "vacant", but I'll chalk that up to her having a screw loose and trying to seem that way.
Citizen Reign
quote:

I can't imagine how infantile you would act if someone insulted something you actually had anything to do with.
Citizen Reign
lazy lazy lazy movie making...more holes than the woman was crazy

college girl's rack!!!!!!!!

Edit to add: it was entertaining with some creative directing but nothing too memorable for me. Well except for...you know.
Furlock Bones
AG
the book was better in every way. the movie didn't even make sense.
exitone
AG
Now that I have seen the movie, is the book worth going back and reading?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.