*** GONE GIRL ***

35,527 Views | 193 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by exitone
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Heading out in a couple hours to see this one. Haven't read the book, but anything Fincher does, I'm there opening night. Bought tickets this past Monday, and the theater was nearly sold out already. Haven't ever seen that for a non-blockbuster like this. Reviews have been phenomenal, and I cannot wait.

Anyone else seen it yet today? Spoilers welcome. I'd love to hear how it compares to the book. Will be checking back in late tonight / this weekend...

TCTTS
AG
In the meantime, watch THIS...

David Fincher - And the Other Way is Wrong
Cave Johnson, CEO
AG
Can't wait to see it but won't be able to until next weekend. Gonna have to avoid any spoilers until then.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Saw it this afternoon, thought it was alright. I probably wouldn't give a strong recommendation to anyone to see this movie. Too many plot holes and run time is over 2 and a half hours.

****** Spoiler Alert ******

The overly cutesy dialogue at the beginning when they first meet annoyed the heck out of me, although after realizing much of her diary entries were manufactured, it would appear that it is possible that this was intentional.Hated the way they treated her escape and return. It just seemed so completely unbelievable. Why did it take several days after her kidnapping to appear at NPH's lake house? Why was she walking around the house unbound while NPH was away when she stated otherwise? How does she get the boxcutter if she was bound while NPH was away. There were just way too many obvious holes in her story to make this believable. Nevertheless, loved the Nancy Grace character. Rosamund plays crazy beautifully. Also, Affleck's girl on the side has some incredible...acting skills.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
20ag07
Really liked it. Excellently dark and twisted. Affleck was great. Went in blind without reading the book. Only thing I'd change is that it drug on too long there at the end. Lost interest in the last 20 mins or so. Couldn't help but think the female role was made for Clare Danes though, was almost distracting that it wasn't her.

Noblemen06
AG
quote:

Great clip. I love Fincher's style...tied with the Cohen Bros for my favorite filmmakers.
Joan Wilder
AG
I thought it was remarkably consistent with the book and Affleck was nails - perfect casting. I agree the pace at the end slowed too far down and it dragged at the end. But the rest of the movie was creepy and well paced.

*****spoilers*****

Holy schnickes that scene in bed with NPH!
TCTTS
AG
LOVED this movie. I'm so incredibly glad I didn't read the book or have any idea that's where it was going. It's not something I'm going to watch over and over again like The Social Network, Zodiac, Fight Club, etc., but man, that was definitely an entertaining two and a half hours. The audience absolutely loved it. Way, way funnier than I expected it to be. It didn't take itself too seriously, was very tongue in cheek. So many great twists and turns. I thought the structure was brilliant. I've never seen a movie have a big reveal like that halfway through and just completely switch gears in that way. Was so absurd, and absurdly great.

Also, I'm 95% sure Pissi Pyle - who played Ellen Abbot - was in our showing. I never got a great look, but whoever we did see looked identical. She had a crutch under her left arm, and was limping a bit.

For those who read the book, how significant was the ending change? I assume not much, but that was a big news item a few months back; Fincher saying they had tweaked the ending a bit.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
quote:

Great clip. I love Fincher's style...tied with the Cohen Bros for my favorite filmmakers.
tremble
AG
I'm a little torn. I thought the framing was a bit of a hack job and unrealistic in how Affleck's character handled it. It just seemed really cliche in a bad way until he had the interview.

I thought after that the movie really hit its highest points in the framing of the narrative and the meta-game between the two.

The ending was brilliant. Him locking the door was excellent as was their last confrontation.
TCTTS
AG
Never mind about the ending potentially being different...

http://www.vulture.com/m/2014/10/gone-girl-ending-explainer-discussion-book-movie.html
Frank Sobotka
quote:
****** Spoiler Alert ******
Also, Affleck's girl on the side has some incredible...acting skills.
By acting skills, are we referring to tits? If so, who is the actress with the acting skills?
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Emily rotjikaimamwiknskanaki (sp?)
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
cr0wbar
AG
Fianc and I saw it last night and loved it. Fantastic score, very creepy. That lead actress deserves an award
Saxsoon
AG
I have liked Rosamund Pike from Jack Reacher and the World's End, but from what I have heard, this movie is going to be life changing for her.
Frank Sobotka
*****************Spoiler Alert*********************************

Any time you can play a character who is playing another character, it's impressive. When you add in all of the plot twists which require her character to adjust her story, the role becomes that much more complex.
Frank Sobotka
Emily Ratajkowski's breasts are amazing. She could stand to gain about 15 lbs, though. I think she would look amazing with that weight on.
AggieDave02
AG
Enjoyed the book and the movie
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
*****es. Be. Crazy.
Noblemen06
AG
quote:
I have liked Rosamund Pike from Jack Reacher and the World's End, but from what I have heard, this movie is going to be life changing for her.
Read the book and loved it. Saw the movie today and loved it, too. Pike played her part brilliantly. After reading the book, you walk away thinking "that was f'ing crazy" and the movie gets the same point across in similar fashion. Fincher does it again.
JimbosHatBarelyFits
AG
Just walked out. The rib and I were creeped out. Had no idea it was a book, but I'm glad I went in not knowing about the book.
k20dub
AG
Saw it last night and loved it. Had not read the book but wife did and kept me posted throughout the movie with what was he same and different. (Mostly the same)
Loved the movie but I actually thought the ending was rushed. I would have been fine if it was 3 hours, I was so interested. And yeah, the NPH scene was cray.
redd38
AG
Didn't love it.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Wife loved it. I liked it. For whatever reason, the ending didn't sit well with me. I don't know. You can feel it when a scene is about to go to credits, and I found myself not wanting it to end there, but for all the wrong reasons. Hard to explain... just didn't like the way it ultimately played out.

Everything leading up to that, however, was fantastic.
Say Chowdah
AG
I agree with a lot of the above.

Wife read the book and she felt kind of "off" after reading it. It is a hard story to actually "like" but that doesn't make it a bad story; just twisted as all hell!

I, personally, really liked it! I went in knowing a little about it but not having any real expectations other than knowing that the story is very dark in overall appearance.
benMath08
AG
I went into this knowing only the most basic of a premise. I thought it was great.

It was about two straight hours of "this couldn't get any more f*cked up, oh wait I was wrong".
Saxsoon
AG
I found out about the twist but I was surprised at the momentum shift midway through the film. I thought it was going to come out at the end. And I had no idea about NPH's character the events that follow from that. I was still pleasantly surprised. Great film that I really enjoyed.

I am not married or even in a dating relationship and I was just kind of numb walking out of that film. I would hate for this to be a date night movie for couples.
benMath08
AG
quote:
I found out about the twist but I was surprised at the momentum shift midway through the film. I thought it was going to come out at the end. And I had no idea about NPH's character the events that follow from that. I was still pleasantly surprised. Great film that I really enjoyed.

I am not married or even in a dating relationship and I was just kind of numb walking out of that film. I would hate for this to be a date night movie for couples.
I saw it with my wife, we both thought it was pretty good. You're right though, it does paint a pretty bleak picture about relationships (except for the twins). It's so over the top though and it makes good use of humor so it doesn't beat you down. Makes you wonder what the author of the book has gone through in their own life to come up with something like that.
Joan Wilder
AG
My fiance and I left the movie saying, "wow. What a great movie for us to see before we get married!"

Her first 2 books are pretty creepy as well.

The twist is much more of a surprise in the book because the reader is subjected to 2 unreliable narrators for the first half of the book. She sets the reader up pretty perfectly.
Frank Sobotka
quote:
quote:

I saw it with my wife, we both thought it was pretty good. You're right though, it does paint a pretty bleak picture about relationships (except for the twins). It's so over the top though and it makes good use of humor so it doesn't beat you down. Makes you wonder what the author of the book has gone through in their own life to come up with something like that.
I don't think we are meant to take it as a serious portrayal/critique of American relationships. I think it was meant to be taken a very unique and morbid situation which is only really believable in the context a drama/mystery/thriller novel. I think the intent of the author was to create an exciting and dark story, not to make social commentary. The story is a bit too outlandish for that imo.
Saxsoon
AG
The author has been lambasted for what many consider a misogynistic novel. She says she wanted someone truly villainous and wanted to move away from women being innately good.

quote:
"To me, that puts a very, very small window on what feminism is," Flynn told The Guardian. "For me, it's also the ability to have women who are bad characters
the one thing that really frustrates me is this idea that women are
innately good." The piece then links to an essay Flynn wrote about 2006's Sharp Objects, in which she defends the female dark side. "I've grown quite weary of
the spunky heroines, brave rape victims, soul-searching fashionistas
that stock so many books," it reads. "I particularly mourn the lack of
female villains good, potent female villains. Not ill-tempered women
who scheme about landing good men and better shoes not chilly WASP
mothers not soapy vixens (merely *****y doesn't qualify either). I'm
talking violent, wicked women. Scary women. Don't tell me you don't know
some." So: Gillian Flynn has been fighting these charges for a while.
israeliag
AG
From a production point - this is an exceptional movie. From a story point - this is a horrible movie, and I mean it in the best way. The ending result is that it is a movie that very successfully made me enjoy it. I agree with what TCTTS said - this isn't a rewatch, but it is a must watch (although it isn't necessarily a must watch in cinemas).

I kind of disagree with Pike being very good. Her expressions and look were spot on, but I couldn't get past her American accent (she's British). That said, she was creepy in a way I haven't seen since John Lithgow in Dexter.

TCTTS: any rumors on David Fincher's next film? And will he ever do a large budget action epic? He could do to a brand what Christopher Nolan did to Batman.
benMath08
AG
I also really liked/got creeped out by Trent Reznor's creepy soundtrack.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The murder scene, along with the score that accompanied it, was amazing.
Sex Panther
AG
Great movie, Fincher is such a badass.

Rosamund Pike is absolutely gorgeous... and ****ing crazy.

Trent Reznor is an incredible score producer. He really helps make Fincher's films.

I am never, ever getting married.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.