Has John Wick been discussed?

7,152 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
Cancelled
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
At 100% on RT. I have no idea what it's about, but I love KR.
FtBendTxAg
AG
Saw trailer on tv last night and it was the first I have heard of it. Didn't look terrible.
Sex Panther
AG
Nice, I love Keanu. Don't care what anyone says. Glad to see this getting good reviews.

Also, I hate the new Rotten Tomatoes. I just got used to TexAgs and now I've got to deal with this?
amercer
AG
Saw the trailer and thought it looked terrible. I'm not a Keanu hatter, but I just can't see him as a killing machine bent on revenge. I assume Denzel turned this role down?
Madmarttigan
AG
Is this seriously about a professional killer going ape**** about someone killing his dog?

Not to say I wouldn't kill some fools, but that is pretty funny lol.
Icecream_Ag
S
quote:
Is this seriously about a professional killer going ape**** about someone killing his dog?

Not to say I wouldn't kill some fools, but that is pretty funny lol.
well at least it's a moderately new idea instead of trying to do whatever the latest craze is
TCTTS
AG
For what it's worth (which admittedly may not be much), the crowd at Fantastic Fest - made up mostly of fanboy critics and what not - went absolutely nuts for this movie. It was a huge, huge hit there.
israeliag
AG
So, Keanu Reaves is playing Denzel Washington playing Liam Neeson?
BigRobSA
I can't stand Keanu, he couldn't act his way out of a paper bag, but this looks like a good guy movie regardless of the star. Yes, it's totally and outrageously absurd. Looks matinee-price worthy.
All Star
Keanu is a great guy by all accounts but he makes the late great Paul Walker look like Daniel Day Lewis when he's acting
BigRobSA
Yes, I'm only talking about his acting.

I've heard that he, as a person, is outstanding and nice.

His "acting", if we're going to call it that...well...um...yeah....about that....
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Keanu Reeves
schmendeler
AG
I tried last week...

http://texags.com/forums/13/topics/2533258
Sex Panther
AG
17 reviews so far... 100%

I ****ing love Keanu Reeves, so I'm officially pumped. I'm gonna pretend that his name used to be Johnny Utah but he had to change it to go into being a hitman.
TCTTS
AG
Totally forgot this was playing in IMAX. That may have just sealed the deal for me seeing it tonight.
Sex Panther
AG
This movie is the tits
TCTTS
AG
Looked slick/cool as hell, had a lot of fun with it, but I kind of wish I would have waited for cable (where it'll be playing on repeat for years to come - and I mean that in a good way), or at least seen it at a matinee. After the fact, I'm kind of pissed at myself for spending $19.50 on a prime-time, full-price IMAX ticket. So that may have skewed things for me a bit. Again, it's definitely worth seeing, but not anywhere close to that price.

It's basically Taken without the kidnapping, only a lot more stylish. But on that level, and of that same general quality. Kind of harkens back to '90s action/revenge movies too, in the best possible way. Overall, it's a paper thin plot, but probably didn't need to be anything more. If anything, I really enjoyed that whole world. The neutral/off-limits hotel was such a great touch. I almost wish they would have explored that more. I could have watched an entire movie set at that place.
Sex Panther
AG
Agree with all that. I thought about seeing it in IMax but it didn't really seem like it would be worth it... The hotel was really cool, and they are already talking about sequels so maybe they will explore it more?

Cool movie that knows exactly what it is, and Keanu is still awesome.

Oh and Theon Greyjoy continues to make terrible decisions.
TCTTS
AG
^ Good or bad, there really is no one quite like Keanu. He was perfect in the role. I really enjoyed the fact that EVERYONE was scared of him (save for Theon initially, but even he came around). It was really unique in that way. The bad guys weren't trying to kill him because he had something they wanted, or anything like that. They were straight up scared sh*tless, and just trying desperately not to get murdered. That was such a fun way to play it.

And yeah, a contained, hotel-set sequel would be amazing. Like that latest Dredd movie, but way better.
Max Power
AG
Really liked this movie, wouldn't have gone to see it if it weren't for the RT score being so high. In addition to it being a quality revenge flick there were a few decent laughs as well. It was basically non-stop, not much in the way of down time, it just kept going. Keanu was great, thought he knocked it out of the park. I thought everything involving the operation of The Continental was terrific. The entire cast was great and I agree seeing Theon living in fear for the whole movie wasn't a bad thing. If they would have called the movie Keanu Reeves Kills Everyone it might have made some more money this weekend.
k20dub
AG
Didn't really care for it. Not what I expected going in. It seemed like a comic book and a lot of the acting wasn't great. The action was sweet, but that was the whole movie. Not much story. Then it kept extending itself. I thought it was going to be over at least 3 different times.
mslags97
AG
I really enjoyed it. Nothing apectacular, but very good. I thought Keanu was great in this. He's not as bad as so many say/think.
Saxsoon
AG
Other than the opening scene where his wife died and the one scene where he tells the guy that "ya, I think I'm back" he showed no damn emotion the whole film. I am sorry, there could have been a lot better acting there.
Seven Psycho Ags
He's playing a badass hitman set in a noir environment. How much emotion can you possibly expect? Him boo hooing after the dog dies wouldn't be as cool as him getting ever more pissed while cleaning the blood

Say what you will about his range or w/e but he has always been good at these kinds of characters
Jadedhamster
AG
Best line of the movie..."oh."
Saxsoon
AG
quote:
Best line of the movie..."oh."
Jadedhamster
AG
I am usually one of the first people to jump on KR for having the emotional range of a tired potato, but there are just some roles that are tailor made for him. Clueless guy in the first matrix? Nailed it. Stoner surfer? Yep.

Him playing this role just felt right, because it let him systematically murder his way through a criminal organization with workman-like efficiency instead of a passion fueled blood-lust. An actor afflicted with normal human emotions might try to express them instead of just being a passionless murder-bot mowing down Russian gangsters as calmly as a cow chews grass, over and over again.

Which brings me to the second best line of the movie "oh, ok, well I'm just going to leave you to it then."
Sex Panther
AG
Did you guys not see Keanu's speech about how he was thinking he was back!? Explaining what that dog and his wife meant to him... All while facing certain death!

Keanu is the ****

Haters gonna hate...
Keanu gonna shoot mother ****ers in the face
CajunAg97
AG
Saw this in IMAX, not much plot. But the way he kills is freaking awesome.
Saxsoon
AG
quote:
Saw this in IMAX, not much plot. But the way he kills is freaking awesome.
This is pretty much the entire film
Clavell
AG
Saw Friday night. Basically little plot, just a lot of killing. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

One or two plot twists would have been refreshing though.
Icecream_Ag
S
I thought the fact there are no plot twists was a nice twist
65532ag
Very enjoyable movie. Loved how dark it was, loved the soundtrack, and thought the action sequences were over the top awesome. Sure it isnt going to garner any acting nominations for awards but it isnt that kind of movie. Also loved the freaking cars.

Recommend to anybody who enjoys a good old fashioned revenge action flick.
wesag
AG
Keanu Reeves. Awful actor in a few good flicks.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Finally saw this yesterday and can't recommend it enough. Keanu was perfect in this role.

I loved how they dropped you into this weird subculture that had it's own rules and didn't explain any of it to us. They just let us accept it and move on.

- The neutral zone hotel.
- The cleaning company for body disposal.
- The currency of gold coins.
- That small-town police don't interfere (that scene was greatness).

This was the first movie for a couple of stunt men who've moved behind the camera and I think they really know how to shoot an action sequence. Long takes, no jerky edits, camerawork that flowed with the action instead of that hand-held s**t. Great work. I hope this leads to bigger and better things.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.