Star Wars: Rebels - Season 1

35,422 Views | 236 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by jabberwalkie09
Legal Custodian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Has anyone else watched the premiere through the DisneyXD app or website? If you haven't, don't worry as it premiers this Friday on the Disney Channel at 8pm CT.

I just got done with the first episode, and I have to say that it's pretty damn good. It reminds me of The Clone Wars during their good seasons.

Anybody else's thoughts?
TCTTS
AG
I haven't watched a cartoon on TV in probably 20 years, so I may not be the best person to give my thoughts. That said, I downloaded the premiere last night - and really wanted to dive in and give this first official bit of Disney-helmed Star Wars content a chance - but I don't know if I'll be watching any more after this initial episode.

I'll say that the digital "sets," set design, and action/movement, etc were really, really good. The overall look is pretty awesome. But I could not get over how rudimentary the faces/facial expressions were, and how bad/weird a lot of the hair looked. I know that sounds super-nitpicky, but it was really distracting. Going into this, I hadn't seen a single trailer (only pics), and I guess I just expected TV GCI to be beyond what I was seeing, in that regard. The Wookies, especially, looked HORRIBLE; like they were rendered in 1995, straight out of the original Toy Story. But then the stormtroopers, ships, hallways, environments, etc all looked incredible, and I just couldn't figure out why some aspects of the show looked so good, while the faces/hair/Wookies looked so bad.

And I realize this show is obviously aimed at children, but the amount of times a character was alone and talked to themselves, saying exactly what they were thinking, providing brief exposition, or had some "clever" one-liner - to no one at all - is just something I can't watch on a regular basis. It was kind of mind numbing. That, and the plot itself just wasn't that compelling. It's all character types and interactions we've seen a thousand times before, with situation after situation telegraphed scenes in advance.

Again, in general, I know I'm not even close to being the target audience for a show like this, but I AM a big Star Wars fan, and it basically did nothing for me. Though, I can definitely understand people being into it. It's harmless fun, and not near as bad as something like Gotham, which truly baffles me as to how people can get enjoyment of it. At the very least, this was competent, not too wink-wink, and actually kind of felt like Star Wars, or a decent imitation.
Thomas Ford 91
AG
My kids and I watched it. I thought it was very intriguing, particularly considering it is canon for the movies going forward. I agree the Wookies were a little oddly rendered. My kids love it. Even though I've seen it on commercials a thousand times, I got a little tingly when the Jedi revealed. I will continue to watch.
Legal Custodian
AG
I understand your thought process TCTTS, but I wasn't too focused on the renderings or facial expressions. Unfortunately I was only following the story and the music. The story might be a little bit dull to the likes of us, but damn that music always brings back memories.

I will definitely continue to watch, just like Thomas Ford 91. The only potential problem I see so far is the depth of the story lines. With the Clone Wars, you were able to dive into the Jedi Temple, Jedi Academy, Clone Academy, Clone Wars, and numerous other avenues for stories. Right now, the only potential stories I see are those following this band of rebels. Can anyone see other potential story lines down the road?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Just finished watching the premiere and really, really enjoyed it. Was about 50:50 going in if I would or not.
Can definitely see the worry about how many adventures they can have together as a group, and am hopeful it won't just be going place to place, visiting familiar star wars haunts and bumping into star wars celebrities (fett, tarkin, bail organa, etc.) Would like to see the characters section off and tell their own tales that way.

Positives from first episode
The ISB survives the EU purge!
As mentioned earlier, the moment where the Jedi reveals himself was fantastic and goose-bumpy.
Two female leads! Star Wars joins the present.
A Twi'lek female who isn't a ho.
"The Emperor's my uncle."
The beginning chase sequence! Now that I see it a second time, seems like a terrific homage to the beginning of "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" - hot shot kid keeps one step ahead of seasoned adventurer until the very end, and then is praised instead of punished.
The Imp officer kicking the stormie to his death when the latter decided to chit chat about Jedi.
You see the kid actually USING the force. The thing I wanted from Anakin from 3 movies, sensing things in the force.

Negatives from first episode
The kid - I mean he's just Aladdin, right? Same look, same attitude, they even call him street rat!

Urban Ag
AG
I can't wait for Rebels.

This is something my wife will think I want to watch because she knows I am a Star Wars fan. My boys will clearly love it. So it all plays up for something that dad and kiddos will want to watch on DVR together.

Wife, not being a Star Wars fan, will go in the other room to watch Housewives or play on her phone or just generally get a break from the male dominated household. I will sit be between my boys, get comfortable, and then get 20-30 minutes of sleep. Love it.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
TCTTS, I had the exact same thoughts when The Clone Wars first appeared: I thought I'd never be able to watch that show with those weird-looking facial features.

But if Rebels is anything like Clone Wars.....try to get used to that because it's the best Star Wars we've had in a loooooong time. The Clone Wars was getting extremely good when it ended, and right now I'm kinda tired of seeing the prequel era. I'm ready for something more in the original trilogy timeline (more stormtroopers and less clone troopers).

BTW, when the action would be in space......wow.
gravy97
AG
DVR Set. Me and Gravy Jr are ready for it! We enjoyed the ride through Clone Wars... I'm glad i had a kid so I could watch it with him and not have to be interested in a cartoon all by my adult self
Legal Custodian
AG
quote:
not have to be interested in a cartoon all by my adult self

Is that a bad thing?!
Farmer1906
AG
Hopefully it is as good as Clone Wars. The last season and a half (minus the droids, kids, and jarjar episodes) were fantastic.
DB Coach
AG
I felt the exact same way about the Wookies. Other than that, I thoroughly enjoyed the premier. I thought the music, the troopers, and the environment were well done for a cartoon. There was even some ambient sound throughout. I especially noticed it when the grass was moving in the wind. My son and I will be watching this every week together...good times!
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
In a lot of ways, Rebels can be much, much better than Clone Wars. The only person you ever feared for in Clone Wars was Asokha. You knew everyone else made it through to Episode III.

Not that I'm expecting a lot of death here, but I imagine at some point they'll have to kill of Jedi #1 so Ezra will be center stage.

I actually found the Imperial ISB guy more intriguing than anyone. It was nice to see an uniformed Imperial actually fighting instead of standing on the bridge of a star destroyer.

I also loved the way they had the main Jedi dodge blaster bolts, not just block them with his lightsaber. It really helps the project the idea of Qui-Gon JInn's line "he can see things before they happen." I always thought they really blew it in TPM by not showing what the pod race was like from Anakin's POV - at least showing bursts of him seeing through the Force what was going to happen next, or seeing events slowed way down.

Simplebay
AG
Soooooo glad to be put of the clone war prequel era. Thought it was good. The hair and kids face was distracting. But I liked this a lot. And this was just the pilot. I think the characters are interesting too.

And man, when the Jedi rose up on the hull of the ship in the mine of Kessel lightsaber and all....I was like I think we got a winner.
Philip J Fry
AG
Saw it tonight. I do believe they have a new regular viewer with me.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
They captured the spirit of the original trilogy. I am so in. I'm curious to see how it might foreshadow the new movies as well.
JCRiley09
AG
Second episode is available on the app (or I guess first episode since the other was a "movie")

This show definitely has my attention. As stated by someone on reddit:

"It felt like Star Wars was an adventure again"
TXAG 05
AG
Watched the next episode last night. Definitely going to keep watching. Some familiar faces in the new episode too.
Cyprian
AG
I could not get into clone wars that much, but I am into this one so far. Nice vibe, etc like others have said. Fun and family friendly - my 4 year old likes it too.
Mr. White
I loved it.

When the Disney/Star Wars acquisition was announced, there was some concern (including on the Episode VII thread) that the necessary violence of a rebellion and war would be absent.

I don't think we have to worry about that. There were, what, 15-20 deaths in the first episode?

Infinitely better than the prequels.

I didn't know it was possible, but I'm now even more excited for Episode VII.
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
Soooooo glad to be put of the clone war prequel era. Thought it was good. The hair and kids face was distracting. But I liked this a lot. And this was just the pilot. I think the characters are interesting too.

And man, when the Jedi rose up on the hull of the ship in the mine of Kessel lightsaber and all....I was like I think we got a winner.

Did you mean Rebellion prequel era?
Mac94
AG
Saw it with my son and we both liked it ... do have one curiosity though ... the opening of the original movie tells us this:

quote:
It is a period of civil war. Rebel
spaceships, striking from a hidden
base, have won their first victory
against the evil Galactic Empire.

So if the first victory is the stealing of the plans to the Death Star ... how much can this band be seen besting the Empire at every turn? Yes ... I'm a nerd, lol.
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
Saw it with my son and we both liked it ... do have one curiosity though ... the opening of the original movie tells us this:

quote:
It is a period of civil war. Rebel
spaceships, striking from a hidden
base, have won their first victory
against the evil Galactic Empire.

So if the first victory is the stealing of the plans to the Death Star ... how much can this band be seen besting the Empire at every turn? Yes ... I'm a nerd, lol.

Maybe they mean a major victory?

If this survives for a few years, I bet stealing the Death Star Plans is the finale.
benMath08
AG
I liked it, you could definitely tell they were/are going for the feel of the original trilogy. I agree the approach with the wookies was really weird.

You can also tell it's a kid's cartoon, but hey, it's Star Wars.
Hagen95
AG
I watched it with the kiddoes this weekend. Enjoyed it enough that the kids were running around with nerf guns playing Rebels and shooting each other. Next generation is primed and ready. I'm not looking forward to the merchandising push for Christmas.

They better make the inquisitor as badass as he should be.
benMath08
AG
One minor complaint from an overall universe point of view: I was hoping they would ret-retcon the Mandalorian armor/society to being lost and only used by Jango and Boba Fett. Much like the Jedi, the Mandalorian armor is so much cooler when there's only a handful instead of hundreds of cannon fodder guys running around.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Maybe the chick just has a cool helmet. Nobody's actually said Mandalorian.

I finally watched the entirety of the second episode last night. I continue to be so pleased with how the young kid is learning about the Force - how it just came out in a rage last night when his friend was about to get killed by the Imperial. I also really liked that the kid was such a minor character in the overall episode, I found that very pleasing that they don't just make the show "a kid JUST LIKE YOU is in Star Wars!"

Really liked that R2D2 is running secret missions for Bail Organa so early on, meaning R2 isn't just some random astromech along for the ride on Tantive V in A New Hope, he's there on a mission and Princess Leia knows she can count on him. Having Organa at the end of the episode already hatching plans to foment a Rebellion is excellent.

I like that the Imperial took out the muscleman (muscle beast?) in a fight. That further establishes him as BAMF. I worry that too many episodes will end with him shaking his fist as the gang barely gets away. I guess that's where the Inquisitor comes in.

I also like that The Empire has a chain of command for possible Jedi - regional, then the Inquisitor, then Vader/Palps. Showing R2/3PO was a nice little taste, but they need to reserve Vader/Palps for really special occasions.

Couldn't be happier overall, and I read somewhere on line that the third episode is the best yet.

benMath08
AG
Second episode? Am I missing something?
JCRiley09
AG
quote:
Second episode? Am I missing something?
Disney XD app
Farmer1906
AG
Can we hold off talking about unaired episodes until they air?
benMath08
AG
I'm still confused, you're just talking about the shorts right, not the actual second episode of the season?
AgMarauder04
AG
But I've already seen them...
JCRiley09
AG
quote:
I'm still confused, you're just talking about the shorts right, not the actual second episode of the season?
On the DisneyXD app, there is a 43 minute "movie" that has also aired on tv. There is also a new, 23 minute episode that has not aired on tv yet.
benMath08
AG
quote:
quote:
On the DisneyXD app, there is a 43 minute "movie" that has also aired on tv. There is also a new, 23 minute episode that has not aired on tv yet.
Ah yes, I "found" what I was looking for.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
There's no app involved for me, just went to their website, gave them my Uverse ID # and watched.
Hagen95
AG
quote:
Nobody's actually said Mandalorian.

I think in one of the shorts that introduced Sabine, one of the troopers refer to her being in Mando gear.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.