***Once Upon A Time Season 4***

8,088 Views | 81 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Bregxit
R0GUE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Did anyone else catch the OUAT premiere? I thought it was pretty good all things considered. Not that there weren't some rough patches. There was definitely some major cheese during the Gold/Belle dance scene, that certainly put me off a bit. And I can't understand how a show that has the combined resources of ABC/Disney manages to consistently put out such crappy effects.

But other than those gripes, I was pleased. The plot with Elsa and Anna was really nice and picks up from the movie in a cool way, and the casting for the Frozen characters was spot on! The Mickey Fantasia hat is kind of awesome, and I thought the Regina/Marian/Robin Hood love triangle was handled pretty well. Plus Giancarlo Esposito is back!
swimmerbabe11
Do I need to have seen Frozen?

Muy
AG
quote:
Do I need to have seen Frozen?

swimmerbabe11
R0GUE
AG
I'd say it's more important for you to have been watching previous seasons of Once Upon a Time. :P
swimmerbabe11
I've seen all the episodes of Once Upon a Time, so I'm covered there.
Nonregdrummer09
AG
I have to say I was disappointed in how they are handling Frozen, for the following reasons, possible spoilers:

START SPOILERS

Once Upon A Time has taken characters from our favorite childhood Disney stories (and some others) and altered them to have a story where they can co-exist. No character is exactly how they are in the original stories (probably most obviously, Peter Pan.) So I was a little surprised and disappointed to see that Frozen is exactly like the movie. The costumes, the characters, marshmallow, I would not be shocked to see Olaf at some point in the future. This feels like a big audience grab for Frozen fan (I am not a Frozen fan at all, I didn't really like the movie from first viewing and on) because they didn't alter anything, just added a little bit to the movie storyline, but it's all pretty much the same. They did a similar pay off for Beauty and the Beast fans, but those fans have been putting up with an extremely altered Beauty and the Beast story for 3 seasons.

Anyway, seems like a big circljerk for frozen fans for me, I hope the Season improves some how in the future.

END SPOILERS

I give the episode a B.
Saxsoon
AG
I thought it was great episode. Also we have an entire season to work with, they still have places to go with these characters.

How seriously amazing was the Anna character. She was the embodiment of Kristen Bell's character.
AgMarauder04
AG
I read that the Frozen storyline is only 12 episodes or so. It's not a season long thing.

I wonder if Elsa and Emma will bond over their powers. Elsa was afraid of her powers for so long, and Emma is just starting to understand hers. Feels like a good mix.
Dro07
AG
haven't watched Frozen but looks interesting so far... guess i will have to check it out one of these days.
Belton Ag
AG
My wife and daughters were giddy all day Sunday waiting for 7pm and the show to start. It was fun watching the show with them and seeing how much they enjoyed it.

Our older daughter was starting to get into the show even before the Frozen story arc.

I was kind of hoping they would shed more light on the evil, dark place Rumple sent Emma to (where Elsa apparently was trapped in the vase) before they came back into Storybrooke. I'm guessing that character or place will be revealed soon.

And to make it more guy-friendly, the actresses who play Elsa and Anna are smoking hot.
91_Aggie
AG
quote:
(I am not a Frozen fan at all, I didn't really like the movie from first viewing and on) b

You aren't their target, then... TV show producers don't target people who don't like really popular things... Frozen has proven to be very popular among many, many people.
Nonregdrummer09
AG
quote:
quote:
(I am not a Frozen fan at all, I didn't really like the movie from first viewing and on) b

You aren't their target, then... TV show producers don't target people who don't like really popular things... Frozen has proven to be very popular among many, many people.

I would say I'm certainly not their target this season, maybe it was just this episode to get people hooked onto the show who maybe haven't watched it before. If it's true that the arc is only 12 episodes, then hopefully it'll start meshing with the feel of the rest of the show soon. I'm a big Disney fan, I just think Frozen was an average animated film.
Average Joe
AG
The only two things I hate about the Frozen plot is how soon they jumped on it, and how there is not really an antagonist. Them using Frozen gives me the feeling that they were running out of ideas our just wanted to capitalize on its popularity right away.
Daveintx
It's a little odd seeing them play a story completely the way it was before (sven, poppy, etc) considering they always put their own spin on the material.... That said, curious to see how Hans and his brothers play into it since they made mention in the epi that they are out there looking for revenge
Saxsoon
AG
I don't think even the writers wanted this. This is a purely corporate move on Disney's part with their synergy across their different commodities. They wanted to hit while the iron was hot . . . er cold and take advantage of it.
Dro07
AG
quote:
I don't think even the writers wanted this. This is a purely corporate move on Disney's part with their synergy across their different commodities. They wanted to hit while the iron was hot . . . er cold and take advantage of it.
concur
Saxsoon
AG
Granted I don't mind, and we still have a lot of episodes for them to mess with the story. The writers are already saying they are not trying to direct a sequel to Frozen (you know Disney wants that honor for the next film)
agmatt06
AG
Maybe this is a spoiler:

If I saw it right, Gold and Belle are now living in the Wizards house from Fantasia right? Wonder if he will be the "true villain" this season.
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
Maybe this is a spoiler:

If I saw it right, Gold and Belle are now living in the Wizards house from Fantasia right? Wonder if he will be the "true villain" this season.

Possible. Not sure where the house came from, but that was certainly the wizard's hat....
Belton Ag
AG
Will Mickey make an appearance?
agmatt06
AG
Good, not great episode last night.

It is interesting to watch how they weave the characters together.

Elizabeth Mitchell is always welcome on TV shows too.
Bitter Old Man
AG
quote:
quote:
Maybe this is a spoiler:

Possible. Not sure where the house came from, but that was certainly the wizard's hat....

I actually thought that was Merlin's hat/house, of the Sword and the Stone (King Arthur), which might make some sense for a storyline to bring in the knights/King Arthur, which would fit the feel of the show. His battle with Madam Mim could be an interesting arc, which might also fit. Using Henry to play the young-Arthur role wouldn't be out of bounds.

If it is the Fantasia hat, then I could see Henry being Mickey and bring all sorts of things to life in response to Regina going evil again.
Bitter Old Man
AG
I also have not seen Frozen, but my wife has and she fills me in on the details I need.

Also, for those that don't know, Frozen is based on a Hans Christian Andersen story called "The Snow Queen," so it does belong in the fairy-tale realm, and not something Disney pulled out of their ass. It also doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out that Disney is trying to cross-capitalize as much as they can.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Snow_Queen
Bitter Old Man
AG
Also, if Emma calls Henry, "Kid," one more time, I am going to stab myself with a pencil. It doesn't fit the character roles anymore.

I guess I better go sharpen a pencil....
Dro07
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Maybe this is a spoiler:

I actually thought that was Merlin's hat/house, of the Sword and the Stone (King Arthur), which might make some sense for a storyline to bring in the knights/King Arthur, which would fit the feel of the show. His battle with Madam Mim could be an interesting arc, which might also fit. Using Henry to play the young-Arthur role wouldn't be out of bounds.

If it is the Fantasia hat, then I could see Henry being Mickey and bring all sorts of things to life in response to Regina going evil again.
Ha funny you said that i was talking about it the other day saying that maybe they bring King Arthur as a villain to go along with how they have changed certain characters.
Dro07
AG
quote:
I also have not seen Frozen, but my wife has and she fills me in on the details I need.

Also, for those that don't know, Frozen is based on a Hans Christian Andersen story called "The Snow Queen," so it does belong in the fairy-tale realm, and not something Disney pulled out of their ass. It also doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out that Disney is trying to cross-capitalize as much as they can.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Snow_Queen
So is the Snow Queen the woman at the end or the girl from Frozen or are they both from Frozen?
Bitter Old Man
AG
Don't know, havent seen it. But, as with all Disney cartoon adaptations of fairy tales, they don't usually follow them that closely.
R0GUE
AG
Ok, so:

Elsa, the blonde in the blue dress - is from the movie Frozen, as is her sister Anna.

Elsa is the Queen of Arrendelle, she was never called "The Snow Queen" but the movie Frozen is very loosely based on the Hans Christian Anderson fairy tale "the Snow Queen", so she pretty much = the Snow Queen as much as Rapunzel from Tangled = Rapunzel.

The woman who they introduced at the end of the second episode is an unknown character at this moment, but she seems to have powers similar to Elsa.

Some people on the internet have speculated that she is the "original snow queen" ie. it's a title that multiple people can claim, just like Darth in Star Wars. Others speculate that she is the "White Queen" from Narnia, since that is also a property owned by Disney. But its all just rumor and speculation.

So basically all you need to know right now is that Elsa, from Frozen, is the Snow Queen, until further notice.

Meanwhile, let me add, the second episode was also really really good I thought. I loved seeing Elsa and Emma bond. both of them really need a friend, who isn't a part of their family or a romantic interest, and their stories really are very similar. I also thought Henry was really great for once, I usually don't like his storylines. It's amazing how they pegged the castings of both Anna and Elsa for live action. The idea of Bo Peep as a gangster mastermind was genius, I wish they'd throw out a few more characters like that that are just fairy tales and not part of the Disney stable, so that they can put their own spin on them like that. The two episodes this season have been as good as anything they've put out since Season 1.
Dro07
AG
oh ok so the last character is an unknown. Thanks for the insight
AgMarauder04
AG
Bo Peep was annoying as hell.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Bo Peep was annoying as hell.
Agreed....
R0GUE
AG
Aww no way! She was great! Plus it's the chick who played Calamity Jane in Deadwood!
redline248
AG
Henry as the sorcerer's apprentice could be a cool plot.
Bregxit
AG
Mitchell is the Hans Christian Andersen Snow Queen.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.