Suddenlink dropping 24 channels

15,342 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by mid90
Wicked Good Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
including MTV, VH1, TV Land, Nick, Spike etc beginning tonight at midnight
GiveEmHellBill
AG
http://online.wsj.com/articles/viacom-60-cable-firms-part-ways-in-rural-u-s-1403048557

Viacom's ratings are down, and they are wanting to INCREASE their fees across the board (A 100% hike from what I see online). Numerous smaller cable companies are dropping their channels, and most I could give a s**t about . Haven't watched MTV or VH1 in a decade or longer. TV Land? Nope. Spike? Laughable. Good riddance.

The only ones that matter to me are Nickelodeon (kids still watch Spongebob in the morning before school) and Comedy Central (and pretty much only for Key & Peele).

Luckily, Amazon Prime has Spongebob and Key & Peele and I can buy their new episodes each week.
BigRobSA
Here's an article.

quote:
"Because Viacom still demands a significant pay increase, despite declining viewership, Suddenlink asked for a price for only the Viacom channels (like TV Land, Comedy Central, and others) that our customers watch the most," Suddenlink said on the site. "Viacom responded by further increasing its price demands."

quote:
Suddenlink's stance seems similar to one taken by another small market operator Cable One earlier this year. Cable One, citing declining viewership, had wanted to pay only for channels that its 700,000 video, voice and data subscribers watched, not Viacom's entire suite of 22 networks. Viacom argued that Cable One and all distributors have the opportunity to buy channels a la carte which Cable One said was prohibitively expensive but that most distributors opt to buy all of its networks, which it claims is a better value. Cable One dropped the Viacom channels in April and has not yet reached a deal with the programmer. The cable operator replaced the Viacom channels with networks such as BBC America, Sprout, The Blaze, Hallmark Channel, National Geographic, Investigation Discovery, TV One and Sundance TV.
oragator
Who the heck watches TV land?

I would miss Comedy Central, but I applaud them for standing up to Viacom, it's clear the tried to bully the smaller guys and lost.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Suddenlink sucks. But companies like Viacom are even worse.
BigRobSA
List of channels for ViaCom:
BET
CMT
Comedy Central
Logo
MTV
MTV2
Nick at Nite
Nick Jr.
Nickelodeon
Nicktoons
Palladia
Spike
TeenNick
Tr3s
TV Land
VH1

I don't watch any of them, so....bye! (If I were a customer of SuddenLink)
Dro07
AG
Soooooo does this mean there will be a price drop?
BigRobSA
Probably not, as they'll replace them with other channels, assuming they completely mimic the other providers that have dropped viacom.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
They are adding some channels. But, like the ones they are replacing, they don't interest me.
naytaz
Leave TVLand alone. My whole family loves this station. It has good family entertainment such as; The Cosby Show, Everbody Loves Raymond, The King of Queens, which is so much better than some of the crap televised on the "regular lower level lineup". If you are going to drop some of these channels, maybe you should take a look at some of the commercials your company airs.
BigRobSA
quote:
Leave TVLand alone. My whole family loves this station. It has good family entertainment such as; The Cosby Show, Everybody Loves Raymond, The King of Queens, which is so much better than some of the crap televised on the "regular lower level lineup". If you are going to drop some of these channels, maybe you should take a look at some of the commercials your company airs.
The channels being dropped has nothing to do with content and everything to do with ViaCom trying to rape them on prices for (as a whole) a bunch of worthless - or at the very least, worth WAY less than they want - channels.
schmendeler
AG
I watch none of those channels. The closest I come is an occasional daily show clip online
getme
South Park I will miss, funny how this cropped up just as the new season started
biobioprof
quote:
Leave TVLand alone. My whole family loves this station. It has good family entertainment such as; The Cosby Show, Everbody Loves Raymond, The King of Queens, which is so much better than some of the crap televised on the "regular lower level lineup". If you are going to drop some of these channels, maybe you should take a look at some of the commercials your company airs.
Amazon Streaming
Whitetail
AG
Oh no, not BET!

Seriously, I had no idea that racist channel was still around.
COOL LASER FALCON
There will have to be sacrifices on the way to a la carte cable. You're fighting a noble fight, Suddenlink customers.
twenty two ags
sucks to live in the sticks. suddenlink is garbage.
Rasslin Cheesehead
AG
Suddenlink wanted to cherry pick Viacom, and wants everyone to feel sorry that they can't get them to do that. So what do they do, add channels that are in their tiered packages only. Hey Suddenlink, why can't we cherry pick your lineup?
mid90
AG
I am so glad I am out of College Station and no longer have to deal with the Suddenlink monopoly.

Far and away the worst company I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.