Finally Watching Lost....

8,811 Views | 86 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by ac04
TexasAggie008
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
About 7 episodes into the first season....pretty solid so far. From what little I know, the show is outstanding for....2-3 seasons? And then jumps the shark and has a disapointing ending (no spoilers please). Is that about right?

What characters did people grow to love, and hate?

Where is this show generally ranked among other A-list TV shows within the last 10 years? (Sopranos, Breaking Bad, The Wire, etc....all the shows that are raved about..)
91_Aggie
AG
It has one bad story arc with two of the background characters getting some screen time. Then the ending sucks and is a complete cop-out by the writers. But I don't think it jumps the shark
91_Aggie
AG
Oh and you haven't even met some of the characters you are going to like/love.
TexasAggie008
AG
Good to hear...so people were, for the most part, all-in with this show until the last episode? It doesn't ever completely fall off/run out of ideas?
mid90
AG
The first 2-3 seasons are amazing. And there are some truly amazing characters in the show.

But then the writers lost me. Plot turns into a WTF? for me. Perhaps most annoying was all of the ridiculous important plot questions they introduce and then never answer, or wait until the end of the series to answer.

Like 91 said, series finale is a definite cop out; I was disappointed.
Sex Panther
AG
Enjoyed it all. It's like tv crack though.
91_Aggie
AG
oh yeah. The season with the tailies (2nd season?!?). Is probably considered the weakest season
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Great show. Underrated IMO. I enjoyed the ending but won't deny seasons 1 and 2 are probably the best.

4 is also very solid though and has the best episode of the series.
Redstone
AG
The show is terrible, and anyone who likes it :

1). Endured severe bouts of lonliness and "kept up" with it so they could stand around an office water cooler and experience a fleeting moment of human connectivity.

2). Wished to major in philosophy in college, but their parents refused to foot the bill for that. They hung around time-wasters like AICN until 1 or 2 AM to get their self-importance kick before returning to the soul-crushing reality of their pitiful post-"Business" degree existence in accounting, ever at the mercy of a feminized HR tyranny.
twenty two ags
since you're already in and like it, go ahead and finish.
its a good show, but i wouldn't recommend it to someone who hasnt seen it simply because 120 episodes is a lot of investment for a good but not great payoff.
FL_Ag1998
AG
quote:
Great show. Underrated IMO. I enjoyed the ending but won't deny seasons 1 and 2 are probably the best.

4 is also very solid though and has the best episode of the series.
Coppell97
AG
I liked it. Didn't ever jump the shark in my book. It's my favorite series I've ever watched. I was OK with the ending. I think those that don't like it may not fully understand it.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
quote:
The show is terrible, and anyone who likes it :

1). Endured severe bouts of lonliness and "kept up" with it so they could stand around an office water cooler and experience a fleeting moment of human connectivity.

2). Wished to major in philosophy in college, but their parents refused to foot the bill for that. They hung around time-wasters like AICN until 1 or 2 AM to get their self-importance kick before returning to the soul-crushing reality of their pitiful post-"Business" degree existence in accounting, ever at the mercy of a feminized HR tyranny.

Your troll attempts are too well thought out. It worked better when you appeared to be an off the cuff *******. HTH
Teslag
AG
No questions you have will be answered and people will tell you idiotic crap like "it was never about the island, it was about the people". Lame.
GoAgs92
AG
Do yourself a favor and quit watching now.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Do yourself a favor and don't read this thread again until you finish.
I really enjoyed the series.
Spoiler: Kate turns into badass elf.
AggieSouth06
Season 1 is amazing, and Season 2 is great. From there, it's hit and miss. I'm in the minority that loved the ending because it connected with me on an emotional level. I never cared about the sci-fi stuff, nor did it bother me much that it went nowhere.

Somebody already mocked this POV, and they undoubtedly think they are smarter than me, but I genuinely liked the characters and was happy to see their stories resolve.

Plus, if you keep watching, then you get to see the episode "The Constant" in full context. It's pretty fantastic.
jja79
AG
Watched every episode live. Wish I hadn't.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Love the show, maybe my favorite show of all time.
rhoswen
AG
I watched it recently as well and while I didn't hate it, I thought it was pretty stupid. Every season there's some new "thing" that just sort of came out of nowhere. But stick it out and finish it, maybe you'll love it.
Carlo4
AG
If you continue. Remember the title of the show "the constant". In season 4 I think. Arguably the best hour long episode of any show ever.
Ag Since 83
AG
Hope you enjoy it. The worst part is basically the first half of season 3. Agree with the comments about The Constant. Personally, I really liked the ending.

The show is simultaneously about characters and the mystery of the island itself, with a bunch of sci fi/mystery/relgion/literary symbolism mixed in. It's at its best when they allwork, which is why The Constant is so good. However, if you like one component of the show more than the others, there will be parts you don't like. For example, if you aren't completely bought in to the sci fi component of the show, season 5 might get too crazy for you. On the other hand, if you like the mystery/sci fi stuff more than the characters, you will probably think the ending is a let down, which is why so many do. I liked it all, but the characters were the most important, so I enjoyed the ending.
bigbass1170
AG
Loved the show, including the ending.
Chipotlemonger
AG
The Constant.

Damn, wish I could go back and rewatch that one for the 1st time.
aggiesq
AG
I enjoyed Across The Sea episode in the last season, which was good because it helped me stick it through to the end.

but in answer to OP, I wouldn't put this in the same class as BB, Wire, or Sopranos.
gigemhilo
AG
There are two or three episodes from season 4 that were amazing - some of the best TV ever IMO.

Stick with it. If you like it so far, it will be worth it.
TexasAggie008
AG
I'm about 13-14 in now and still liking it

I'd rather deal with a disappointing end than a whole last 2-3 seasons that are bad...so good news hearing that most of you liked it at least 99% of the way.

I can see the writing on the wall of them not fully explaining the "supernatural stuff"...in some ways, people had the same complaint about True Detective's end.

No spoilers please, but hopefully since I'm going in knowing it won't all be fully explained, I won't be that disappointed.
Say Chowdah
AG
Season 3 is tough to endure. It occured during the writer strike and the episodes reflect this. They also struggled with not knowing how long the show was going to air. They made the definitive stop time and they knew exactly how many more episodes were going to happen and the show picked up steam again and finished strong.
oragator
I liked the last season and liked the last episode, but I may be in the minority.
There were some things in the middle seasons I didn't like (will talk about when you get there), but the constant and everything around that whole plot line was really well done.
I think some people took it all too seriously - looking for answers to very question, every loose end tied up, but the show was more about the mystery than the answers in many cases. Just take it for what it is.
Cibalo
I tried to watch it a few months ago but only made it about 20 minutes into the first episode before turning it off.
Bruce Almighty
AG
First half of season 3 is by far the weakest point of the show, but I thought the second half improved. For all the hate the ending got, season 6 has some of the best episodes of the entire series.
boy09
AG
quote:
I tried to watch it a few months ago but only made it about 20 minutes into the first episode before turning it off.
What kind of impossible standards do you have that you only made it halfway through the pilot?...
91_Aggie
AG
one thing you are going to miss by watching it now, is the 7 days between each episode, when you'd be on the internet/talking with co-workers/friends/family trying to find out what all the symbols, monsters, jargon, imagery, characters actually meant, a

By burning through several episodes in a sitting, it may not have the same "magic" as when it first aired.

However, Since the ending was such a cop-out, you will save yourself a lot of time by not trying to figure it all out.
Nonregdrummer09
AG
Probably the most lost in the woods show I've ever seen. My brother watched it when it aired live, I didn't start watching until all season were on Netflix, and I am glad I didn't watch it live, because the show delivers nothing in the end.
CajunAg97
AG
Great show, and the ending was not a cop out. Some people just don't have the level of comprehension necessary for such a brilliant show.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.