Colin Farrell confirms he will star in second season of True Detective

6,896 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by TCTTS
Nonregdrummer09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://au.ign.com/articles/2014/09/22/colin-farrell-confirms-hes-on-board-for-true-detective-season-2?utm_campaign=ign+main+twitter&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social
The Debt
I liked him in "Bruge" but other than that I don't think he could pull off a show like this.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Seems like a step down from MM to me.
COOL LASER FALCON
I think he's going to be great.

Does this mean that we should be getting news/ confirmation on the rest of the cast pretty soon?
schmendeler
AG
"In Bruges"
MROD92
Say Chowdah
AG
I can only assume that, after the plagarism accusations, this season is going to be much more straight forward than the first one.
The Debt
How do they make it more straightforward than a glorified procedural?
Say Chowdah
AG
quote:

No more of Rust's philosophical asides.
Seven Psycho Ags
Up until a few years ago were we really all that sure of MM's talent?
Complete Idiot
He'll play it Miami Vice style
swimmerbabe11
he is so hot.
israeliag
AG
He was great recently in Saving Mr. Banks
israeliag
AG
quote:
quote:

No more of Rust's philosophical asides.
Those were some of my favorite parts of the show. Took it almost to the edge of science-fiction.
Nonregdrummer09
AG
Vince Vaughn has been cast as the other detective with Colin Farrell, it is now official. I'm pretty shocked at this. Vince Vaughn trying to re-launch his career?

Edit: Yes, as TCTTS says, I found the press release and Vince Vaughn is playing a career criminal, mobster type guy
TCTTS
AG
^ If you actually read the press release - or any of the news we've been talking about for the past month or so - you'd know that Vaughn isn't playing a detective. He's involved with some kind of highway organization the plot revolves around.
TCTTS
AG
Here's the official logline, just released...

Three police officers and a career criminal must navigate a web of conspiracy in the aftermath of a murder.

Vaughn is playing the criminal, while Farrell and Taylor Kitsch (not yet announced) are playing two of the three detectives. The final detective, a female, is apparently down to either Jessica Biel or Rosario Dawson, though other names are in the mix as well.
Nonregdrummer09
AG
quote:
Here's the official logline, just released...

Three police officers and a career criminal must navigate a web of conspiracy in the aftermath of a murder.

Vaughn is playing the criminal, while Farrell and Taylor Kitsch (not yet announced) are playing two of the three detectives. The final detective, a female, is apparently down to either Jessica Biel or Rosario Dawson, though other names are in the mix as well.
For the record, if it's true that Taylor Kitsch will be in this season as a Detective I think that's great casting and a great role for him.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Vince Vaughn has been cast as the other detective with Colin Farrell, it is now official. I'm pretty shocked at this. Vince Vaughn trying to re-launch his career?

Edit: Yes, as TCTTS says, I found the press release and Vince Vaughn is playing a career criminal, mobster type guy

Didn't mean to sound like an ass. Just didn't want people to start b*tching.
Nonregdrummer09
AG
No it's fine, I just saw the headline and assumed they were the two detectives and that the show was formatted similar to last season, my bad on the assumption, thanks for correcting that.
COOL LASER FALCON
This is the one I was really excited about. I think Vaughn will be great. Glad it's official.

Is there any hope at all that it's someone other than Kitsch for the other male detective?
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Is there any hope at all that it's someone other than Kitsch for the other male detective?

Technically, there's still hope, but it sounds like a done deal. Then again, the fact that he wasn't included in this press release may be telling, seeing as his name and Farrell's name were initially rumored at the exact same time. Maybe someone else has entered the race?
Ag_07
AG
Vaughn and Farrell seem like great fits. Think the addition of Jessica Beil would knock this casting out of the park regardless of who the other detective is.
Sex Panther
AG
Jessica Biel? She's barely relevant anymore other than being Mrs. Timberlake. I can't remember the last role she even had... That Chuck and Larry movie with Adam Sandler?

Weren't they originally talking about Jessica Chastain?
TCTTS
AG
Chastain was never a legit option. It was pure rumor / fan casting.

These are the nine names so far that have been confirmed to be in contention for the female detective...

Rosario Dawson
Jessica Biel
Malin Akerman
Brit Marling
Jaimie Alexander
Kelly Reilly
Oona Chaplin

... and then Elizabeth Moss and Rachel McAdams were swirling around the role as well, but have both apparently either passed, or have been passed on.
Sex Panther
AG
Would've preferred Rachel McAdams. Rosario Dawson would be my choice over Jessica Biel, but looking at that list I'd go with Brit Marling. She's not really known but is a very good actress, and could definitely do a good job in a role like this if it stays similar to season one. I've seen her in some indie films and she'd be much better than Jessica Biel.
TCTTS
AG
Nice little read from Vulture on why Farrell and Vaughn could be great choices. I'm getting more and more excited about Vaughn, in particular...

http://www.vulture.com/2014/09/true-detective-vince-vaughn-colin-farrell-season-two.html

Sex Panther
AG
Looking forward to Vince Vaughn not playing Vince Vaughn.
TCTTS
schmendeler
AG
I think Vince Vaughn could be an excellent addition.
GinaLinetti
AG
This thread makes me happy
Professor Frick
AG
quote:
HBO has just confirmed in a press release that Colin Farrell and Vince Vaughn will star in Season 2 of True Detective. It looks like some of the rumors we reported on last month turned out to be true. I wonder if Taylor Kitsch and Elisabeth Moss will be announced soon?

Per the press release, Colin Farrell will star as Ray Velcoro, a compromised detective whose allegiances are torn between his masters in a corrupt police department and the mobster who owns him.

Vince Vaughn will play Frank Semyon, a career criminal in danger of losing his empire when his move into legitimate enterprise is upended by the murder of a business partner.

The press release also says that more casting announcements will come once they are confirmed.
oragator
I just don't want this to turn into the Rocky series, amazing first piece obscured by the crap that came later.
And the first year was so great, I just don't see how this year can ever live up, even if it well above average.

i am heartened by the fact that hbo people are saying the writing this year is as good as last (though they surely have reason to say that), but nothing will ever top MMs nihilistic character last year, it was the perfect blend of role and actor.

all that said, the masterpiece that was created last year means that the writer has earned the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise, and I really think Vaughn could be great. But man is the interwebz gonna be rough on this show, it is going to be held to an impossible standard.
COOL LASER FALCON
Pretty funny:

@Allison_Tolman: I'd like to announce that I'll be appearing in season 2 of True Detective! I can't, because I didn't even read for it, but I'd like that.

I think she could also be a pretty good choice.
Southlake
If Alexandria Dario make an appearance (or two. who cares about the rest?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.