RUSHMORE is the best Wes Anderson movie

1,800 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by ContinentalAg
Mr. White
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Does anyone disagree?

I watched it today for the first time since it was in theaters (1998?). I think it has more soul than his other movies. The characters are real, not caricatures.

I fell in love with Olivia Williams when I first saw it. Now? Still not bad.
COOL LASER FALCON
Definitely my favorite
Vernada
AG
RT
Snake Jazz
I don't get his movies. They seem to be weird just for the sake of being weird. Not funny or even all that interesting. Just weird.
Philo B 93
I agree with weird just for the sake of being weird. I have no use for Wes Anderson with one exception: Rushmore. That is his best movie, and a good movie overall. Tennenbaums? Grand Budapest? Life Aquatic? All pretentious crap.

Rushmore is a far outlier for Wes Anderson. I really enjoy watching that movie every time I see it.
Jacques
I like his movies. But he is awfully committed to his kind of fey directorial style. It's fine; no one else is doing it. But it's not going to be to everyone's tastes. And you have to be in the mood.

Teacher_Ag
AG
I've always considered Royal Tenenbaums his best by a mile. That cast is perfect.
One thing I find interesting about Wes Anderson is that you hear a lot of people say, "I don't like WA films at all except for [movie title], which is great" where "movie title" is a different movie.
gigemags-99
AG
I liked The Darjeeling Limited. One of my favorites for some reason...
TCTTS
AG
1. Rushmore
2. The Royal Tenenbaums
3. The Darjeeling Limited
4. The Life Aquatic
5. The Grand Budapest Hotel
6. Moonrise Kingdom
7. Bottle Rocket
8. Fantastic Mr. Fox

I fully expect blowback on my #3, but for whatever reason, I just love that movie so much. In fact, I love absolutely every movie on that list, so anything in the bottom half or so is there only by the slimmest of margins.

That said, it does kind of feel like it's time for Anderson to maybe shake it up a bit going forward. Grand Budapest was one of my favorites of the year so far, but even it felt like a caricature at times. I'm a huge fan of his style and schtick, but he's perfected it to the point where it almost feels like he's mocking himself now. I wish he'd go back to his Rushmore roots and make something a little more raw and loose, where every last camera movement isn't so meticulously planned and staged.
TCTTS
AG
Was typing as you posted, gigemags-99. Great minds...
gigemags-99
AG
quote:
Was typing as you posted, gigemags-99. Great minds...

Yes, sir!
COOL LASER FALCON
The weirdest thing about Wes Anderson films for me is that with the exception of Rushmore, my opinion of them changes really dramatically with each viewing. Hated Life Aquatic the first time, and then thought it was hilarious. Thought Moonrise Kingdom might overtake Rushmore, but then thought it was pretty mediocre.

I guess like someone else said earlier, you do have to be in the right mood.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Hated Life Aquatic the first time, and then thought it was hilarious. Thought Moonrise Kingdom might overtake Rushmore, but then thought it was pretty mediocre.

Same here. Didn't hate Life Aquatic in the theater, but didn't love it at all. Now? It's one of my favorites. It was on just the other day, and I couldn't stop laughing. And yeah, with both Moonrise and Grand Budapest, LOVED them both in the theater, but have cooled big time on each one. Rushmore, Tenenbaums, and Darjeeling were the only ones I loved in theaters, and absolutely love just as much - if not more - now.
schmendeler
AG
Don't get it. They are just too "cute" for their own good. Twee is the word I'm looking for, I believe.
redd38
AG
Rushmore is his only movie that I like
Silver Arrows
AG
Rushmore is the best
cone
AG
I saved Latin.
COOL LASER FALCON
I wrote a hit play and directed it, so I'm not sweating it either.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Moonrise Kingdom gets my vote for best Wes Anderson movie
OldArmy71
AG
Rushmore.
george07
AG
Rushmore is a good movie. It was filmed at my high school, Lamar High School in Houston, the year before I got there. I had an opportunity to be an extra in a scene, but the day they were filming I couldn't go unfortunately. A few friends of mine are in the movie however, and one even had a line.
Hagen95
AG
quote:
One thing I find interesting about Wes Anderson is that you hear a lot of people say, "I don't like WA films at all except for [movie title], which is great" where "movie title" is a different movie.

I agree with this. To me it is very interesting how WA has done a variety of movies that strike individuals in a different manner. I was not impressed at all with RT, though Rushmore was "okay", but laughed my butt off at Life Aquatic.

FtBendTxAg
AG
Rushmore is excellent, my all time favorite movie, tied with every other movie he's ever made.

I'd probably rank them something like

1. Moonrise Kingdom/ Rushmore/royal
4. Darjeeling
5. Mr fox
6. Bottle rocket
7. Life aquatic
8. GBH

HeadGames
AG
My list

1. Rushmore "Dr. Peter Flynn: These are O.R. scrubs. Max Fischer: O, R they?"
2. The Life Aquatic "Anne-Marie, do all the interns get Glocks?"
3. The Grand Budapest Hotel "Did he just throw my cat out of the window?"
4. Royal Tenenbaums
5. Moonrise Kingdom
6. The Darjeeling Limited
7. Bottle Rocket

I actually like his movies, but I'm weird. so. my bad.
Bud Fox
All great (especially Bottle Rocket and Rushmore).
Only Moonrise disappointed.
Citizen Reign
The Life Aquatic
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Rushmore
The Royal Tenenbaums
Bottle Rocket
Moonrise Kingdom
Fantastic Mr. Fox

I had the same experience with Life Aquatic. Just didn't really get it the first time, now it's one of my favorite movies. I'll just have it looping all day with the sound down. ...same with Grand Budapest
ContinentalAg
Bottle rocket
Rushmore
All the rest...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.