New Hunger Games (Mockingjay Part 1) Trailer

2,930 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by jr15aggie
jr15aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Based on the trailer it looks like they are, once again, printing their own money! When it's all said and done I'm sure most people will feel the 2nd one (Catching Fire) will be the best (See Empire Strikes Back, The Two Towers, etc.), but I have high hopes for the last 2 movies. Some people really criticize the last book because it's definitely different and somewhat depressing... but based on the cast and how they have done the movie adaptations, I have no doubt they will give us a good show and, in the end, a happy ending.
chipotle
I criticized the last book because it was rushed and poorly written. However, with what happened I was pleased.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Disappointed they're making it into 2 movies, but I certainly won't knock their ability to make money.

District 13 looks good - much like how I imagined it while reading. Sad to see PSH, knowing he's no longer with it. How Julianne Moore plays President Coin will go a long way towards how much I enjoy the film, I think, as will seeing how legit the set pieces for the battles look.

They've done a great job with the look of both arenas. I really hope they can make the other districts and the battle in the capital look really real as opposed to just a sound stage.

Caught a quick second of Natalie Dormer (Margarey Tyrell) in the trailer. Her and Jennifer Lawrence int he same movie - that's some must-see entertainment.
The Debt
I refuse to see movies that split the story into 2-3 movies for more money. It takes away from the delivery of one encompassing movie.

We see this s--t with Twilight, the Hobbit, Harry Potter, etc. Its crap. And fanbooys are dumb enough to call this a good thing. "Ah the book has a lot of important detail" except it doesnt and the screenwriters are ignoring those jism-inducing details you want anyway.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
I refuse to see movies that split the story into 2-3 movies for more money. It takes away from the delivery of one encompassing movie.

While I don't necessarily disagree, the Mockingjay (the 3rd book) is definitely much different than the first two and I think 2 movies will help the finale. Some people flat out don't like the 3rd book. I didn't care for it all that much either until I read the series again. There is just so much going on... we go from the typical Districts/Capital/Games of the first 2 books and it all gets thrown out and the characters get caught in the whirlwind. It was such an emotional ride that it didn't even feel like a happy ending with all the crap that went on in between. After a 2nd read I've come to really like the 3rd book and I think the ending is really nice... but I wasn't able to process all that first time through. I think splitting it to 2 movies will help them tell the story better, let the audience digest it, and I think despite all the bad that happens they will be able to pull off the happy ending most of us want out of our movies.

The Debt
"People dont like it" therefore lets make TWO antagonizing movies.

So the screenwriters are gonna add stuff for artistic license (ala Hobbit DoS) to try and jazz up a story, I can be ok with that (if it didnt create a separate movie). But of course, thats just wishful thinking. Studios are Big Business and they know how to make fanboys cream just enough to pay twice.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
Studios are Big Business and they know how to make fanboys cream just enough to pay twice.

I won't argue with that, despite what I said above! It's pretty much a guarantee that I will buy tickets to see both Part 1 & 2 and be there day one to buy the Blu-Rays when they come out. And this is from a guy that had never heard of the series before the 1st movie came out. But hey, if they do a really good job then I'll have 4 really good movies instead of 3... right!?

Just don't tell me this series was written for an audience half my age and I'll be OK!
TajMaballer
AG
Can't believe The Capitol hacked into the cloud and leaked those photos of Katniss. That's messed up man...
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
They are making two movies for two great reasons:

1) Harry Potter 7A + Harry Potter 7B = $677 million

2) Twilight Whatever A + Twilight Whatever B = $573 million.

I've only read the first one more than once, and the third one did seem weird because it broke form from the first 2; although the first time I read the last Harry Potter novel , I felt the same way; they weren't at school and things were all over the place.

As long as they stick to their guns with who lives and who dies, I'll be happy.
The Debt
quote:
quote:
Studios are Big Business and they know how to make fanboys cream just enough to pay twice.

I won't argue with that, despite what I said above! It's pretty much a guarantee that I will buy tickets to see both Part 1 & 2 and be there day one to buy the Blu-Rays when they come out. And this is from a guy that had never heard of the series before the 1st movie came out. But hey, if they do a really good job then I'll have 4 really good movies instead of 3... right!?

Just don't tell me this series was written for an audience half my age and I'll be OK!

The problem is a split finale is seldom "awesome" because they have to split climaxes/reveals in each part. Can you imagine if EpVI was split into different movies? 2.5 hours of Jabba's palace. 2 hrs of set up and being captured by ewoks, then the 3hr conclusion. It could be done, but should it?
The Debt
One could argue this is the "death" of the silver screen that Hollywood legend mentioned, its the same thing Spacey talks about too.

Movies only give X hours of content, TV can deliver countless hours of content. So show biz will succeed in series rather than in film. Diluting films is Hollywood's attempt to hang on.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
One could argue this is the "death" of the silver screen that Hollywood legend mentioned, its the same thing Spacey talks about too.

Movies only give X hours of content, TV can deliver countless hours of content. So show biz will succeed in series rather than in film. Diluting films is Hollywood's attempt to hang on.

I don't know how the money stacks up (successful TV Series vs. sucessful Movie)... but it seems to me that there are still lots of movies that make hundreds of millions of dollars (globally) in profit by the time the movie runs its course in the theater and hits the home audience. Doesn't seem like the movie industry is in that bad of shape, even if TV series have become more and more popular.

The Debt
Movies are also way more expensive. Its easier to front $2M for the first season of show that may create a following and get a decent ROI than it is to spend $40M on low budget action film that may flop.

We see movies gross "$90M" but how much of that is actually going to those who financed the film?
Redstone
AG
Very disappointed in The Fappening scandal. Will probably have to skip this one. I could, hopefully, give it a try in a few years (likely video on demand).
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
Very disappointed in The Fappening scandal. Will probably have to skip this one. I could, hopefully, give it a try in a few years (likely video on demand).

I'm not familiar with how it relates to hunger games.
Dr. Horrible
I really enjoyed the first two, but mostly because of the games aspect. I don't think that they did enough outside the games to really make me care about the districts, the oppression, the people who live there, etc. I knew that was going on, but it didn't pull me in to the conflict. Really makes me wonder if I will enjoy this movie as much as they shift to a civil war plot line.
Tabasco
AG
quote:
quote:

I'm not familiar with how it relates to hunger games.
I think he is saying he is so upset Jennifer took nudies that he is boycotting the movie until he has time to emotionally recover in a few years.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
I really enjoyed the first two, but mostly because of the games aspect. I don't think that they did enough outside the games to really make me care about the districts, the oppression, the people who live there, etc. I knew that was going on, but it didn't pull me in to the conflict. Really makes me wonder if I will enjoy this movie as much as they shift to a civil war plot line.

What you are saying is valid and also why so many people said the 3rd book was very different and some didn't like it at all. I think what has really made the movies great is the incredible cast and that won't change. The fact that the books were 1st person made book 3 difficult at times (Katniss was very much a confused mess of emotions which was a buzz kill in book 3). I know the movies will show us a lot more of the Capital... show both sides of the conflict especially with Peta being held there. I expect it to be really good.
KeithDB
AG
There was not two movies worth of plot in that back.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
how about in that front?
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
There was not two movies worth of plot in that back.

I think there is... especially (like I said above) when you consider they will most likely spend a little time showing us what's going on at the capital, which wasn't part of the first half of book 3. W/out going into spoilers, I think it's pretty obvious Part 1 will be about District 13 and her getting exposed to the War when her and Gale visit that one area... and I can almost guarantee the movie will end on a cliffhanger and those that have read the books probably know what cliffhanger I'm talking about. They sorta touched on the subject in the trailer.

To me it's debatable whether there is enough plot for 2 movies vs. there is too much plot for 1 movie. I didn't care as much for the Ender's Game movie because they jumped from one plot point to another so quickly to cram it all in... I think they would have had to do the same here if it was one movie.
Dr. Horrible
quote:
To me it's debatable whether there is enough plot for 2 movies vs. there is too much plot for 1 movie. I didn't care as much for the Ender's Game movie because they jumped from one plot point to another so quickly to cram it all in... I think they would have had to do the same here if it was one movie.
Agree with the Ender movie. That's one that could have easily used 2 parts. Never read this book to compare though.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
quote:
Agree with the Ender movie. That's one that could have easily used 2 parts. Never read this book to compare though.

Yeah, Ender's Game made me sad. I was glad to at least see a high quality movie made, but the story was so rushed. I hadn't read the book until I saw the first trailer and thought it looked awesome. So I had just read the book a few months before the movie came out so everything was fresh on my mind and it was painful to see how quickly the jumped around.

I think people that hadn't read the book were somewhat confused too because it never stood in one place long enough. I sorta think Mockingjay would have the same problem if it were 1 movie. Most of the audience will have only seen the movies and I think throwing everything from book 3 into one movie would have been a bit much considering it all hits the fan!
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Song by Lorde from Mockingjay released today.

Pretty much sounds like every other Lorde song, although I dug the Katniss-specific lyric,
"I'm locking up every one who's ever laid a finger on me."
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
after finally finishing the series i cant say that i am excited for the film. i had only read book 1 then saw the first two films, even after everyone whose opinion that i trust hated the 2nd two books, especially the 3rd one. but curiosity got the better of me and i finally plowed thru book 3. it amazes me how something so terribly written and developed became such a phenomenon.

i will see the films in the hope that they make some changes to improve on the story.
Natasha Romanoff
I feel like the only "splitting" of a book into two movies that was somewhat necessary was Harry Potter. There was A LOT in that 7th book, and I'm honestly glad they didn't short change the epic battle scene.

Most of the rest of the books that have split into multiple movies have been unnecessary. We will see on the HG.
splits
Is there an official movie thread yet? *waits patiently*
Mac94
AG
Saw it last night with my 13yo "fan girl" daughter. Just me but thought the first two were better. I haven't read the books but the storyline was fine for a 2 hr movie ... but didn't like the way they did the story line. Obviously felt like a "bridge" movie between the last one and the final ... started and ended abruptly kinda like a continuing TV series rather than a movie. And just seemed like the director had a quota on the amount of Katniss looking shocked, sad, in despair, mad, etc. closeups ... and every scene had to set up her next closeup. Needed more Woody Harrilson and more scenes from the Capitol and what was going on with Peeta. Of course ... I'm the old guy in the crowd ... my daughter loved it ... as did her friends that were there.
dah4439
AG
Saw it last night. Spectacular! IMHO, the best of the three so far. Ending was super creepy and leaves you on the edge of your seat. Can't wait for part two!
Mac94
AG
quote:
Ending was super creepy and leaves you on the edge of your seat.

LOL ... daughter and friends knew it was coming and still were buzzing about it ... they were saying "I can't go to bed now with that being the last thing I saw!!!"
MooreTrucker
AG
I guess I'm just not sophisticated enough to really care to dissect everything like y'all are. I loved the books (all 3) and loved the first two movies, and can't wait to see Mockingjay.

And I'm an old guy.
Hotard06
AG
quote:
started and ended abruptly kinda like a continuing TV series rather than a movie. And just seemed like the director had a quota on the amount of Katniss looking shocked, sad, in despair, mad, etc.

That's basically exactly how the books were. As a first person narration they were all about her, and they had very abrupt endings.
jr15aggie
AG
Just saw it earlier... brilliant like the other movies. I said this before and I agree after seeing Mockingjay Part 1... splitting the last book into 2 movies was absolutely the best thing to do. Sure, it's been done before (Harry Potter, Twighlight, etc.)... I can't speak for those because I didn't see them and didn't read the books. But this series absolutely needed it. The 3rd book is definitely the most brutal and shocking. 1 movie would have been too much for a typical movie audience to handle.

Take Ender's Game as an example. The movie was very well done, but despite the fact that it wasn't a long book the movie felt very rushed. It jumped from one important scene into the next. It needed to be a 3 hour + movie to fit it all in. Mockingjay avoided this by splitting the movie.

For me, this is easily on par with Lord of the Rings as best movie adaptation of a popular book series. Absolutely nails in terms of cast and screenplay. Only thing I can critique is they should have fudged the script a little and given Haymitch (Woody Harrelson) more screen time. But otherwise, it's been a perfect screen adaptation of the books. Hollywood needs only to create a good movie series for The Wheel of Time and I'll be 100% satisfied!
Ag_N_Houston
AG
I saw it today. This was one of those rare times that the movie was better than the book. I didn't care much for the 3rd book, but really enjoyed the movie.
Saxsoon
AG
This really is probably one of the best film adaptions of a book ever to grace Hollywood.

Holy crap, this film was dark. When the scene opened with Finnick and Katniss struggling with PTSD, I knew we were going to be in for a ride (I had read the books but I wasn't sure the direction they would take in the film). I also agree that splitting this was probably for the best. I never felt like I was watching fluff.

Hoffman was fantastic and Sutherland makes the perfect villain in this film. Banks as Effie is still probably one of the best characters in the movie, just sad we didn't see more of Flickman besides his super serious talks with Peeta.

Really my only complaint was actually Jennifer Lawrence. She seemed really fake in some of her scenes and I am not just talking about the propaganda. I had to cringe at some of her scenes where she is crying and yelling. For as big a deal is made of her as an actress, she felt like she mailed this one in. I understand some of it was just tonal flatness because she is supposed to be so desensitized at this point, but it did not engender her to me at all.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.