*** THE KNICK - Season One ***

5,528 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Bunk Moreland
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Reviews so far have been stellar (from HitFix, Time, Vanity Fair, and Vulture, to name a few), which isn't surprising, considering all ten episodes of The Knick are directed by Steven Soderbergh. He'll also be back for season two, which has already been greenlit by Cinemax, so there should be no fear of invested time lost. At the very least, over the next two years, we're looking at 20 hours of Soderbergh-helmed content, and I can't think of a better investment in terms of my cable bill. The only caution I'd exercise is to NOT eat while watching, as The Knick is apparently one of the more gruesome shows in recent memory, according to just about everyone who's seen it. Considering we've been famished most of the summer, hopefully Soderbergh will at least be able to quench our appetite for some great TV.

The ten-episode first season of The Knick premieres tonight at 10 PM EST on Cinemax.

YouTube / THE KNICK - Season One Trailer

TPL

TCTTS
AG
Also, just FYI, I don't know if this is actually the case, but yesterday I heard that if you have an HBO subscription, you automatically have access to the content on MAX GO, Cinemax's equivalent of HBO GO, without having to have an actual subscription to Cinemax via your cable provider (since HBO/Cinemax are basically the same company). Last week, I ordered Cinemax specifically for this show through DirecTV, so I can't actually test this out. But for those who have only HBO, I'd love to hear if MAX GO works, and if so, I'll cancel Cinemax ASAP.
Btron
AG
I'm gonna tune in for this. But I'm a little worried the gore might be too much.
Do you know how historically accurate this is supposed to be? Or is it just a period piece setting with fictional script, characters, method, etc...
TCTTS
AG
Pretty sure it's fictional characters, setting, etc., but don't quote me on that. Or maybe the hospital was real, but the characters weren't? I honestly don't know. I didn't quite read every last bit of all four reviews linked to above, so one of them might have the answer, and I just missed it.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
May have to check this one out. The reviews are pretty promising. My one hesitation is Cinemax. If this was HBO, and their amazing track record, I would be much more inclined to watch it.
TCTTS
AG
^ Cinemax is currently trying to rebrand itself. Soderbergh originally took the show to HBO, with Clive Owen attached, and just the pilot script. HBO loved everything about it, but Soderbergh wanted to have the next nine episodes written and ready to shoot in FOUR MONTHS, which is insane. HBO just doesn't work that fast, but it was them who suggested taking it to their sister provider, Cinemax, who gladly accepted. Considering Soderbergh stuck to that four month timeline, I doubt Cinemax had much creative input. Point is, Soderbergh would have made them same show at HBO, or wherever else it could have ended up. He basically has free reign to do whatever he wants.
Sex Panther
AG
I just tried to log in with my HBO Go/Time Warner info and it didn't work. Gonna have to figure a way out to watch this. Didn't realize it was Soderbergh.
TCTTS
AG
Damn. Figured that sounded too good to be true. Thanks for checking.

DirecTV gave me Cinemax for $11/month. So I'm keeping it for three months, spending $33 to watch 10 episodes, and then I'll cancel.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 8/8/2014 11:07a).]
TCTTS
AG
Wow, that was great. I had to turn away a couple times during the two big surgery scenes - the first one, in particular - but overall Soderbergh knocked it out of the park, especially that last 15 minutes or so. Really loved Clive Owen's character, and the stuff with nun and the two ambulance guys. The unexpected electrical score was a nice touch too. Somewhat Social Network-esque. That whole era feels like it's going to be way more interesting than I thought it'd be. Will definitely be seeing this one through, as I heard it only gets better.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 8/8/2014 11:47p).]
Teacher_Ag
AG
Definitely an intriguing premier.

As a veterinarian's kid I could stomach the gore but my wife had to turn away during both scenes.

Not sure about the Kraftwerkesque score...but it was certainly a bold choice.

As usual, Clive Owen is top-notch.
AG
Enjoyed it. I felt like I was watching Contagion with the score. Odd for this time period, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Definitely worth a watch for those on the fence.
TCTTS
AG
HBO is airing the pilot tonight at 10 PM EST for those who have HBO but not Cinemax and want to give it a shot.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 8/9/2014 12:47p).]
TCTTS
AG
Or, you can watch the first episode for FREE right here...

http://youtu.be/ItBAXOEE8Vk
R0GUE
AG
Just watched it. On one hand it's just House. But House was pretty great. Plus I love the costumes and sets, they nailed the turn of the century feel.
Icecream_Ag
S
Pretty sure I woke may neighbors up with a loud F THAT when the nurse had to inject the good doctor right before the second surgery
Bruce Almighty
AG
I'll have to watch this again without my wife. She's a surgeon and all she did was ***** about how fake everything was. She ruins medical shows for me.
MW03
AG
Glad to see people are interested in this, as my last thread on it was an epic flop
TCTTS
AG
Ha, I searched, but that one didn't come up. Would have used it otherwise.
MW03
AG
I much prefer your style with the poster. Makes me feel like I'm reading a trade magazine or something. I'm just stoked to see Soderberg's work. I missed the premiere but we'll be on this one for sure. I'm also think Owen is underrated.
TCTTS
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
Glad to see people are interested in this, as my last thread on it was an epic flop

Btron
AG
I really like it. What's scary is how desensitized I've become, I didn't find the scenes too gory. My wife is a nurse and she respectfully picked apart the medical scenes at the same time was really intrigrugted and fascinated in the historical perspective. When I asked her if she thought it was gory, she said, there's blood in surgery, no big deal.
I could help but think of Tommy Boy when the ambulance shows up " here comes the meat wagon!"
I'm on board with the circus!

Ps is the actor that played Dr. Jules also Trashcan Man from the Stand?
TCTTS
AG
Good to hear.

I've never watched The Stand, but that actor has definitely been "that guy" in a ton of stuff since like the '80s.

Also of note, I recently found out the actress who plays the main nurse is Bono's daughter. Her name is Eve Hewson. Never would have guessed she's Irish, much less the daughter of a rock icon.
Ag_07
AG
I watched it on DVR and thought it was really good.

I think the turn of the century era gives it a certain creepyness to it that I find fascinating for some reason.

I also like where they're going with the side stories of the ambulance guys and crooked health department. I think they'll give viewers a good break from the gore of surgery scenes.

Lookin forward to the rest of the season!
Bunk Moreland
I enjoyed it. Will definitely watch this season. Hope it turns into a great one.
Professor Frick
AG
quote:
I just tried to log in with my HBO Go/Time Warner info and it didn't work. Gonna have to figure a way out to watch this. Didn't realize it was Soderbergh.

The first episode is on HBO go.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Will have to check this out
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AirplaneAg09
AG
Checked out the first episode of this show the other day and really enjoyed it. I think Ownen's demeanor is perfect for this role and I like Soderbergh's style matched with this time period.

I was definitely another who was thrown off by the score at the very beginning of the episode, but was really digging it by the end. Looking forward to the rest of the season and where they go with some of the storylines. I'm sure some of them will be boring/rehashed but I think's it's got real potential.
BEaggie08
AG
quote:
I'll have to watch this again without my wife. She's a surgeon
Nice humble brag. My wife is teacher.
Btron
AG
Decent second episode. Not much shock and gore which is fine. Get introduced to some side plots with other characters. Nun abortions, gambling debts with hospital manager, boxing black doctor from Paris, also going rogue with his practice, bowls of drug soup.
Overall really enjoying the setting, time frame low yellow lite rooms. Music is starting to grab me, I like the electronic pacing of it.
TexasAggies06
AG
Feel like this show really started to hit its stride with this 3rd episode. Enjoyed getting to see a different side of Thackery in his interactions with his ex and Nurse Elkins. I'm looking forward to the backstory behind Dr. Edward's fighting abilities, and whatever is going on with the ambulance driver and the nun. At first I thought their back-and-forth was just for comic relief in the pilot, but I feel like there's going to be more there in the future. I'm definitely hooked for the season and glad to have a show to look forward to from week-to-week until True Detective, Game of Thrones, etc are back.
TCTTS
AG
Right there with you. Really enjoyed Dr. Edwards' story from last night's ep.
gomerschlep
AG
quote:
The only caution I'd exercise is to NOT eat while watching

I ate during on of the episodes, then again I used to eat in cadaver lab.

I dig this show quite a bit.
JakeyBS
AG
^lolz at the softball

really enjoying the show.
Btron
AG
That fight scene camera angle was awesome. Never seen that angel before.
Thackery does cocaine and Asians, Edwards likes to punch things.

Dancing flea bit was out of nowhere...I had to laugh
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.