*** MANHATTAN ***

2,840 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by MrPlow2010
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
When I think of WGN, only two things come to mind: The Bozo Show and Chicago Bulls basketball. Seeing as I haven't watched the channel since either of those were in their prime (over 20 years ago), I can understand why WGN is getting into the scripted entertainment game; to not only join the ever-growing list of original content providers, but to bring people like me back, if only for one night, depending on how engaging Manhattan truly is. The reviews so far have been decent (from A.V. Club, HitFix, Los Angeles Times, and Variety, to name a few), and the trailer looks intriguing enough, but there are obvious reservations as to whether WGN will be able to compete with the likes of AMC and FX. Then again, maybe they don't have to. And even though this era and subject matter have been done to death, Manhattan does at least look like a somewhat fresh take, if not slightly better than expected. Will definitely be giving it a shot.

Anyone else plan on watching?

The 13-episode first season of Manhattan premieres tonight at 9 PM EST on WGN.

YouTube / MANHATTAN - Extended Trailer

TPL

schmendeler
AG
I'd be more interested in a show about the goings on of the researchers at the university of Chicago, that was some real interesting stuff.
Mucho austin
AG
quote:
I'd be more interested in a show about the goings on of the researchers at the university of Chicago, that was some real interesting stuff.

Go on...
schmendeler
AG
Things like creating a nuclear chain reaction under the bleachers of the stadium, controlled by hand-inserted carbon rods.
bagger05
AG
The wife and I are planning on giving it a chance. The fact that they got the director of The West Wing on board gives it some credibility. We'll see how it goes.
PooDoo
AG
I wanted to play the Grand Prize Game sooooo bad.
Professor Frick
AG
Well I can say one thing, they must have a pretty hefty marketing budget, because here in San Francisco every single space where a poster could be posted has had one of about half a dozen different posters for this show for the past two months.
quote:
I wanted to play the Grand Prize Game sooooo bad.

Is that where you toss the ping pong ball into the buckets and win Transformers and GI Joes???
bagger05
AG
Just got done watching it. I thought it was very well done. We're looking forward to the next episode so I guess that means it was good enough.
TCTTS
AG
Good to hear. With everything else on tonight, probably saving this one 'til tomorrow to watch.
Teacher_Ag
AG
The Bozo Super Sunday Show. I wanted to do that damn ball toss thing so bad. It's crazy how some of those uncoordinated little bastids couldn't land one past the third bucket.
Al Bula
AG
quote:
The fact that they got the director of The West Wing on board gives it some credibility.
Totally negated by the fact this show is on WGN.
TCTTS
AG
Finally watched it tonight. Really enjoyed it. Some overly-thematic, one-the-nose dialogue here and there (Oppenheimer was kind of over the top in that regard), but I really like the setting, don't dislike any of the characters, and I'm definitely invested in their plight. Makes for a lot of interesting dilemmas. Will definitely keep watching.
Rapier108
My friend who worked for Los Alamos thinks its about as stupid as could be. As he put it, "Desperate Housewives set at a secret base in 1944/45."
PatAg
AG
Good for your friend, however, he is definitely not the target audience
WoMD
Which part of SF Frick? Haven't seen any posters. Of course, this is hipster central, so that doesn't help...
TCTTS
AG
Anyone catch the second episode yet? I finally caught up last night, and man, I'm really enjoying this show. Surprised how much I like it.
jbsj9698
AG
I'm really enjoying the show so far. Interested to see where they take it.
jabberwalkie09
AG
I watched the second episode last night. While after the first episode, I thought it was going to be as how Rapier108 described it, but second episode was pretty good.
bagger05
AG
I've thought everything has been very well done. They have me invested in the characters and their struggles, which is what it's all about at the end of the day.

One thing that can absolutely destroy this show is if they decide to make it too long. I can see it being really good for about two seasons, but if they try to drag this on beyond that then it could get pretty bad pretty quick.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Anyone still watching this series? I thought the last couple of episodes have been the most interesting. Sometimes it has been a bit of "desperate housewives of the secret atomic community" but it has been entertaining. And it has taken over my Sunday night TV slot since The Strain's season ended.
Out in Left Field
AG
I've been watching and I like it. Though my opinion of each character changes week to week, not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

Also, the intro is really cool.
ccaggie05
AG
It was renewed for a second season today.
jabberwalkie09
AG
This first season ended with some pretty interesting revelations and twists. Hope that season two is as good as this one.
TCTTS
AG
Finally had a chance to watch the season finale. Fantastic episode. Really loved that end sequence with the music. Hopefully this show gets a little more promotion in 2015, because it definitely deserves it.
Out in Left Field
AG
I've enjoyed this first season. Looking forward to more next year.
MrPlow2010
AG
Thought this was one of the best shows on tv the last few months. Really looking forward to next season.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.