**Official Game of Thrones: Season 5 Thread (BOOK READERS/SPOILERS ALLOWED)**

341,408 Views | 2543 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Al Bula
Marsh
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Never too early to get this started!

New major characters appearing this season:
mashable.com/2014/07/25/game-of-thrones-season-5-cast

Lots of Dorne, Myrcella replaced, High Septon (aka Howland Reed ) cast

Jaqen H’ghar could be back:
http://winteriscoming.net/2014/06/23/familiar-face-returning-game-thrones-season-5

Location wise, Dorne will be filmed in Spain. Here, actually:
http://sevilla.abc.es/andalucia/cordoba/20140701/sevi-cordoba-rodaje-juego-tronos-201407012104.html

Alcázar of Seville Palace

Bishop Anthony IV is boycotting a shot in Šibenik, Croatia that will happen near a cathedral:
http://www.sibenik.in/sibenik/casting-za-statiste-u-srpnju-u-sibenskoj-gradskoj-vijecnici-a-snimanje-serije-ovisi-o-biskupu-ivasu/25179.html

Some believe this will be Cersei's walk of shame.

Directors:
Episodes 1-2: Michael Slovis (Breaking Bad)
Episodes 3-4: Mark Mylod (Shameless)
Episodes 5-6: Jeremy Podeswa (Boardwalk Empire)
Episodes 7-8: Miguel Sapochnik (House)
Episodes 9-10: David Nutter (The X-Files)

(David Nutter did the Red Wedding episode... otherwise, all new directors.)

Stolen from Season 4 thread:
quote:
Season 5 is filming....

http://winteriscoming.net/2014/07/23/signs-point-game-thrones-season-5-filming-underway

And look where they're shooting...

I'll add more as it comes out.

[This message has been edited by Crystal Blue Meth (edited 7/25/2014 6:46p).]
R0GUE
AG
Trystane Martell a replacement for Quentyn Martell? Or just Trystane?

The Sand sisters are hawt.

Still no new Greyjoys? WTH man.
The Dog Lord
AG
Let it begin! Do yall think the Greyjoys will really be left out or just possibly delayed? It's not the most intriguing storyline, but it isn't bad. Euron is an extremely interesting character though, so I'd hope that he is included at least.
G Martin 87
AG
There have typically been several casting announcements before each season, so I wouldn't assume that any of the Greyjoys have been left out yet.

LOVE Jonathan Pryce as the High Sparrow.
mid90
AG
quote:
LOVE Jonathan Pryce as the High Sparrow
Al Bula
AG
Wake me up when Patchface is cast
Al Bula
AG
Also can't wait to see who is cast as Ariane.
Marsh
AG
GRR Martin won't be writing an episode this season "to focus on writing the eagerly awaited sixth novel":
http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/07/26/why-george-r-r-martin-wont-write-a-thrones-episode-this-season/
GoneForGood
Good, martin needs to finish these books so I can stay up late reading more ??
GoneForGood
And Dr. Julian Bashir (Alexander Siddig) as the head of house Martell?!?!

Dr. Bashir was my favorite character in DS9 now I can't wait for season 5 even more
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Siddiq and Pryce are some outstanding bit of casting. they both bring some legit acting chops for this upcoming season but also future seasons.
redline248
AG
Cool
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
The "familiar face" will most likely be Kevan Lannister.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Crap, nvm just glanced over the article. Looks like we'll possibly be getting some spoilers for us readers in the faceless men storyline.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
wangus12
AG
So since Michelle Fairley came out and said there won't be a Lady Stoneheart in the show, what happens to those story lines. I felt like it was going to be a guaranteed inclusion. I wanted to see wrecking shop on Frey bannermen.
mid90
AG
quote:
Crap, nvm just glanced over the article. Looks like we'll possibly be getting some spoilers for us readers in the faceless men storyline.

Finish the ****ing books George
AggieSouth06
quote:
Also can't wait to see who is cast as Ariane.

Nobody. The new character descriptions say that Trystane is the heir to House Dorne. He will likely take Arianne's place as the conspirator to put Myrcella on the throne. When that doesn't work, he may get sent to Dorne to court Dany and absorb the Quentyn storyline as well.
wangus12
AG
I feel like some big characters are getting left out
Fenrir
quote:
So since Michelle Fairley came out and said there won't be a Lady Stoneheart in the show, what happens to those story lines. I felt like it was going to be a guaranteed inclusion. I wanted to see wrecking shop on Frey bannermen.

You're assuming they told the truth on that.
wangus12
AG
Well yeah, they can't put it on the internet if it isn't true.
mid90
AG
IIRC Fairley said that Catelyn wasn't coming back

maybe some room for interpretation of Catelyn being dead and gone forever, but LSH will make an appearance
mid90
AG
regardless, I don't expect to see LSH on the screen, which is a huge disappointment
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I don't mind no Lady Stoneheart. Her "re-emergence" sort of cheapened the Red Wedding for me.
Urban Ag
AG
agreed on Lady Stoneheart.

Lack of presence of Iron Born kind of tells me what I have thought for some time. Non factor in the overall story. Victarion floats in to the Slavers Bay, helps Dany win the war, tries to seduce and steal the dragons, ends up BBQ. Could be wrong but it has always seemed like a speedbump storyline to me.

Lack of a casting confirmation for Arianne Martell makes me think that maybe she will just be rolled in to the Sand Snakes and not be a factor in the tv series. Which would also indicate she doesn't have a whole lot more to offer the series so HBO is not bothering.

Or, HBO could be keeping some stuff in stealth mode which would be cool too.
LawAg05
AG
Love Pryce as High Sparrow and Alexander Siddig as Doran.

The link about Jaqen H’ghar speculates that he will replace the Kindly Man as Arya's teacher in Braavos. This makes sense and I like the change as it would allow them to bring back a fan favorite while cutting down on the number of new characters next season.
Karrde
AG
Reddit think we could see the iron born Kingsmoot in Season 6. So you can have Balon die and Yara (Asha) find out this season, and mention the kingsmoot, but not need any new ironborn actors till the next season.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
quote:
Love Pryce as High Sparrow and Alexander Siddig as Doran.

The link about Jaqen H’ghar speculates that he will replace the Kindly Man as Arya's teacher in Braavos. This makes sense and I like the change as it would allow them to bring back a fan favorite while cutting down on the number of new characters next season.
Agreed. Much in the same way they made Bronn Jamie's sparring partner. 
Urban Ag
AG
or how they just rolled the Bloody Mummers in to Bolton's men.

I used to get kind of *****ly to the notion of HBO combining, omitting, or altering the characters but with a couple dozen POVs and literally hundreds of minor character, adapting 1000 page books to (10) 1 hour long episodes per season has to be incredibly challenging.

Overall I think they have done a pretty good job.
The Dog Lord
AG
quote:
I used to get kind of *****ly to the notion of HBO combining, omitting, or altering the characters but with a couple dozen POVs and literally hundreds of minor character, adapting 1000 page books to (10) 1 hour long episodes per season has to be incredibly challenging.

This is why I don't let HBO's choices in casting/storylines/etc. influence my notion of who/what is important to the story in the books. They have to make judgment calls on what to include, omit, and rewrite based on the resources they have.
Marsh
AG
Lots of good information here:

http://watchersonthewall.com/portstewart-strand-gears-big-scene-august-7th/

Including the tidbit that Jamie and Bronn have officially been confirmed to be traveling to Dorne together:

Al Bula
AG
Jamie in Dorne is admittedly more exciting than Jamie jerking off in the Riverlands. I think you have to assume either two outcomes about Myrcella that will happen in TWoW. Either she is brought back to King's Landing by Jamie in the show (someone else in the books) or she dies in the show and the book (which would be the second assassination attempt).

I feel like she is going to die.

[This message has been edited by 3rdCoastAg (edited 8/7/2014 10:50a).]
LawAg05
AG
Love set leaks
The Debt
It would be a great story if everyone Jaime is suppose to protect dies. Since he has already sworn off his title, he leaves the KG in disgrace to join the NW. He takes his vows as a steward, as the war of the undead occurs, Jaime saves the realm he swore to protect.
AggieSouth06
I think this is what happens:

Jaime and Bronn attempt a rescue of Myrcella. She is killed by a Dornishman in the fray. Doran panics and sends Trystane to form an alliance with Dany. He makes it to Mereen, she rejects him, he finds the dragon pit...

"Oh."
AggieSouth06
Rationale: I think the Quentyn storyline was poorly done in the books because GRRM had written himself into a corner. It seemed like a pointless aside. But I think it had a point: to create a rift between Dorne and Dany.

The show can do this MUCH better by making it Doran's only heir and a character that we actually get to know over an entire season.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.