Awesome trailer for THE ONE I LOVE: A Romantic Comedy with a Twist

2,577 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Aggie_Journalist
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Now this is cool. A romantic comedy, starring Mark Duplass and Elizabeth Moss, that hinges on a mysterious, not-to-be-spoiled twist; an acknowledgement that's actually woven into the marketing of the trailer itself. Further, the twist looks to be rooted in some kind of sci-fi, Being John Malkovich-esque conceit. I not only want to see this movie, I absolutely have to see this movie, and word out of Sundance is that it certainly delivers.

From RADiUS-TWC, The One I Love hits theaters in limited release on August 22.

YouTube / THE ONE I LOVE - Official Trailer

Original TPL Post

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 7/20/2014 12:01a).]
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Putting this on my radar. Thanks, TC
TCTTS
PatAg
AG
Mark Duplass
TXAG 05
AG
I am guessing the reflections being different(glasses, hair) are on purpose?

[This message has been edited by Cstrickland05 (edited 7/20/2014 8:41p).]
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Watched in on BT - loved Mark Duplass, didn't like the twist.
Btron
AG
Bump

Just caught this on Netflix. Very entertaining and original idea. I didn't love it but it kept me engaged and I wanted to know what the heck is going on. I didn't love the twist ending and it happened so fast that once it ended it kept me wondering, what? But again, the overall idea and originality of it I enjoyed.
If you're looking for a quick netflix film I'd tune into this one. I'd also say if you're 30+ you'll probably like it more than say if you were single in college.
Jim01
AG
I enjoyed it as well. I feel like the Duplass brothers always put out unique and interesting work, but they haven't quite have that one movie that really jumps to the next level.
MosesHallEnforcer
AG
I really liked the acting. Very enjoyable movie. Just caught this last night on Netflix. It has some unfulfilled potential, but definitely worth the watch.
BullSprig07
AG
Just watched, I enjoyed as well but man what a mind****
Ag Since 83
AG
Just watched on Netflix. Enjoyed it, although I'm not sure what I think of the ending.

Also, did anyone else notice "Kobe and Vanessa" on the list of couples on the computer?
Sex Panther
AG
Liked this movie a lot. I'm intrigued as to what exactly the doppelgangers were and how they looked and sounded like them since it made it clear that they were actually two other people... but I guess that's more up for your interpretation.
swimmerbabe11
I just finished this movie....but I really really hate when a movie leaves me with more questions than answers. I don't think comedy is fair...its enjoyable but not 'funny'

I loved watching it from start to........what?!!?!?
mavsfan4ever
AG
I watched this last night and really liked it.

SPOILER WARNING

So what do y'all think? Was the fake girl telling the truth about the fake guy and she was actually trying to help out the real husband? Or was she wanting to leave with the real husband all along and was just duping him with her story about the fake guy?

Also, what happens to the people that had to stay? Do they now get turned into a new couple (the next couple to go to the resort)?

What role did the therapist play in it all?

Sorry for so many questions. Just interested in what other people thought.
israeliag
AG
Spoilers ahead.

The fake wife originally intended to leave with the fake husband, but after fake hubby fell for real wife, she decided to ditch the plan and tell real husband what's up and leave with him.

I also thought it interesting, that considering the twist ending, the real wife made no effort to prevent reat husband from driving off once he left for good - I think she'd at that moment, with fake husband on the ground, made up her mind to stay with him.

Good movie overall and what more science fictions should be like.
swimmerbabe11
***Spoiler***

So in the start, fake wife and fake husband just pretend like the guest house is the catalyst, but really its the whole grounds. Does that mean they are both in the guest house the whole time? Seems like it would be difficult to never get caught.

Also, What does the therapist gain by setting this up? He just gets good referrals? or what?
mavsfan4ever
AG
quote:
Spoilers ahead.

The fake wife originally intended to leave with the fake husband, but after fake hubby fell for real wife, she decided to ditch the plan and tell real husband what's up and leave with him.

I also thought it interesting, that considering the twist ending, the real wife made no effort to prevent reat husband from driving off once he left for good - I think she'd at that moment, with fake husband on the ground, made up her mind to stay with him.

Good movie overall and what more science fictions should be like.

I wasn't sure if the fake wife told real husband what's up because she wanted to leave with real husband or because she wanted to screw up fake husband's plan so that fake husband had to stay with her.

I thought the same thing regarding the real wife. She made no effort to go with the real husband. She was content to stay.
mavsfan4ever
AG
quote:
***Spoiler***

So in the start, fake wife and fake husband just pretend like the guest house is the catalyst, but really its the whole grounds. Does that mean they are both in the guest house the whole time? Seems like it would be difficult to never get caught.

Also, What does the therapist gain by setting this up? He just gets good referrals? or what?

Yea, I didn't understand what the therapist gained from the whole thing. Didn't seem like there would be any money in it.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
***spoilers***
I came away assuming the therapist was some sort of alien or mystical being just toying with us for the hell of it.

Zero proof he's an alien, that's just what I assumed.

I think the real wife stayed with the fake husband because she liked him more than the real husband. Sure, they might be trapped forever, but she really enjoyed her time in the cabin with him anyway and had previously said she wanted to stay forever (if I remember right).
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.