del Toro's - The Strain - Sundays FX

28,032 Views | 282 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Phat32
Saxsoon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can't wait for this start this Sunday at 10. del Toro is not just one and doneing the pilot, he has apparently been involved throughout the process.

He and Cuse have also been writing the scripts and developing the design of the vampires for the past 2 years, so hopefully that shows in the show.

Great interview with Carlton Cuse and Corey Stoll
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07/10/the-strain-carlton-cuse-and-corey-stoll-on-teaming-with-guillermo-del-toro

Saw this in a review for the pilot on International Business Times about how the final scene of the pilot is up there in insanity with GoT and Walking Dead.

[This message has been edited by Marsuvees (edited 7/11/2014 12:44a).]
zap
AG
IN
Btron
AG
DVR set, hopes it good
Clavell
AG
When I read trilogy I thought it was just ok, but mainly because it read like a screen play. This may be case where TV series is better than books. Action over plot and character development.
aTmLoKi
AG
Nobody posted yet?

I thought tonight was pretty good and am intrigued by what is to come (I have not read the books).
Saxsoon
AG
About to start for me on the west coast. Can't wait
SlimM
AG
I liked it! I thought the characters were a little too "jokey" considering the horrible things that were happening all around them, but that didn't affect my enjoyment of it. That last scene was very creepy.
Post removed:
by user
Texas A&M
Not sure about the above review.... It looks like you read the book, so I'm not sure why you'd be surprised when it followed much of it last night.

For those who've read the trilogy, were books 2 and 3 any better than the 1st?
FAST FRED
AG
I liked the pilot of "The Strain" better than those of "The Last Ship" or "Tyrant."

I'm about to give up on "The Last Ship" after watching the ensuing few episodes.

So far, that one seems about like "Gilligan's Island" or being "Lost" on a naval vessel.

"Tyrant" hasn't overly impressed or interested me much yet either, but I've still got the recorder set for those three.

Not having to view any commercials has been enough to entice me to pay them some attention as I concurrently browse the internet, late at night.

The pilot of "The Strain" was indeed cliched, but for me somewhat more promising to me because it was cliched with stuff I enjoy in horror movies.

So to my exceptional, accepting mind, that made the "scary" stuff more authentic even though it was nothing new.

Different genres for different junkies.

You take your pick, if you choose to watch at all.

Since I can eyeball a very nearby TV while I'm reading and posting on TexAgs, etc., I'll always have something of at least passing interest on (perhaps Fox News or something from NETFLIX) to keep me from being a total internet wh*re/enthusiast.

Again, take your pick.

When World Cup Soccer was going, I watched every match while posting with the sound low.

Same thing with most pro football and basketball.

Go Spurs and Cowboys.

Those are my favorite casual ball-playing picks.

The Aggies get my full attention.

After my grand kids are at home and my wife is asleep, that's how I wind down.

Gig 'em, FAST FRED '65.

Before the world wide web, village idiots usually stayed in their own village.

[This message has been edited by FAST FRED (edited 7/14/2014 7:50a).]
Clavell
AG
quote:
For those who've read the trilogy, were books 2 and 3 any better than the 1st?

Wont go into why to avoid spoilers, but did think 2nd and 3rd books were better. Just say the second half of 1st book was repetitive for no advancement of story. Sure much will be cut.

[This message has been edited by Clavell (edited 7/14/2014 7:53a).]
rhomulus bonham
AG
quote:
Wont go into why to avoid spoilers, but did think 2nd and 3rd books were better. Just say the second half of 1st book was repetitive for no advancement of story. Sure much will be cut.

When i read the books i read them all back to back so i can't remember exactly which book this happened it, i believe the first, but the time frame had me so screwed up for a while. I felt like the first part of the first book was in the matter of a few days and then all of a sudden we were jumping months ahead. Aside from that, i do remember book three being much better, I wasn't all that thrilled about the explanation and resolution but it wasn't horrible.
BlackGold
AG
I was just randomly flipping through channels and came across this show. It was awesome and looks to be good. I just hope it doesn't turn out to be pacific rim-esk.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Some good things about it. Some bad things about it.

Good: The design of the creature. They don't skimp on the gore or creepiness of the undead. The Euro-bad guys are at least interesting. And David Bradley is a fantastic character actor who elevates every scene he is in.

Bad: The main guy ("Eff"? Seriously? You go by "Eff" and call your son "Z"?) is a bland dewsh. The sterotypical characters (the "rock" guy is painful).

I would feel better if this was a extended mini-series with a clear conclusion instead of a regular series that can stretch the premise out for too long and lose everyone's interest.

I'll give it a shot for now...

[This message has been edited by GiveEmHellBill (edited 7/14/2014 1:44p).]
LHIOB
AG
Thanks to Alan Sepiwall for pointing out that Ephraim is played by a wig-clad Corey Stoll aka Rep Peter Russo from House of Cards
The_Professional
I'm not sure if I have a real opinion yet or not. I've been seeing the commercials about this show so I figured I'd check it out. It's different that's for sure. I love the walking dead, so I might end up liking this. First episode was pretty decent though I guess.
BlackGold
AG
When the monster beat that guys head in - it was great
mid90
AG
just watched the pilot

holy **** holy **** holy **** holy **** holy **** holy **** holy **** holy ****

some of the creepiest television I've ever seen, including all the X-files and Fringe episodes

I am hooked.

p.s.
turned on spotify as soon as the show finished. started playing "Monster" by Imagine Dragons:

quote:
A monster, a monster,
I've turned into a monster,
A monster, a monster,
And it keeps getting stronger.
IJones23
I watched it and liked it so now it's doomed..
Ol Jock 99
AG
I liked it. We'll see how it goes.
ro828
I enjoyed it. Bonus: I haven't read any of the books so I have no idea where the story will go. I'm curious about the main characters ex-wife vs. girlfriend plot. One of them has to go. If the show kills off the girlfriend, it will put the guy in the same situation as in The Abyss, Outbreak, and Twister.
BlackGold
AG
quote:
I enjoyed it. Bonus: I haven't read any of the books so I have no idea where the story will go. I'm curious about the main characters ex-wife vs. girlfriend plot. One of them has to go. If the show kills off the girlfriend, it will put the guy in the same situation as in The Abyss, Outbreak, and Twister.

I hope they turn them into blood sucking lesbos.
BJM1781
AG
So many cliches, so little time.
The horror parts in the last half were good enough, but it took forever to get the plot moving. And most of the characters are just plain awful. But I did enjoy the traditional horror film fare towards the end and I'm somewhat intrigued. I'll keep watching and hope it improves.
Teslag
AG
quote:
quote:

I hope they turn them into blood sucking lesbos.

Sounds like true blood.
TampaBayAg08
AG
Just watched the pilot. The acting made me cringe (which may be unfair since I finished FX's Fargo where the acting was mind blowing amazing). The acting was so bad I almost didn't want to watch. But the vampire/monster... Holy crap. And the weird zombie/vampire thing going on... Wow. The story alone will keep me watching. Here's hoping the acting gets a little better!
jabberwalkie09
AG
While the acting was nothing to go wow over, the plot has intrigued me enough to keep watching. Not to mention the previews for the season look pretty awesome. Kevin Durand who played Lord Zipacna on Stargate SG-1 is in it too.

[This message has been edited by jabberwalkie09 (edited 7/15/2014 4:00p).]
Sex Panther
AG
Some of this writing and acting is brutal. But I'll definitely keep watching.
mid90
AG
The absolute worst line was the flight controller guy at the beginning, acting like he had never once seen an airplane in his line of work:

"it's soooooo big. it's like a building with wings! "
Sex Panther
AG
quote:

You aren't kidding... I looked at the screen in disbelief after he said that.
rhomulus bonham
AG
quote:
Some of this writing and acting is brutal. But I'll definitely keep watching.

I guess i have pretty low standards, I never thought the acting was phenomenal but i also haven't really been turned off by it. It gets cheesy at times but it's been bearable. I will be interested to see how the story progresses. I feel like the first book would make a fairly decent mini series, but the second and third need a lot of clean up to keep the story moving.
TXAG 05
AG
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You aren't kidding... I looked at the screen in disbelief after he said that.

I actually had to rewind it to make sure that was what he really said. A little cheesy but its a horror show so not expecting shakespeare.
Clavell
AG
After seeing first episode wonder if going to do a book a season. Sounded like not going to handle entire trilogy as miniseries format.
Saxsoon
AG
They are planning for 5 seasons. The pilot alone covered the first half of the novel and they are going to flesh a lot of stuff out. Spread each of the other two books over two seasons.
Clavell
AG
Thanks. Good idea on spending more time on books 2 and 3.
Anyone else laugh when the French girl's dad slapped Ephraim?

The lady playing Nora needs acting lessons.

They shouldn't have used "Sweet Caroline". It ruined what should have been a creepy scene.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.