Tower Lord Out Today

2,629 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by jbsj9698
jlb2957
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Picking this bad boy up after work. Thought Blood Song was freaking awesome and can't wait to dive into this one.

Who else out there will be tearing through this for the 4th of July weekend?
Prophet00
AG
Bought it first thing this morning, can't wait to get through it this weekend.

Should finish it just in time to get the new Abercrombie book on the 15th.

[This message has been edited by Prophet00 (edited 7/1/2014 1:43p).]
agmatt06
AG
Man..I keep following farther and farther behind on books. I probably have 10 books in the que right now
Hudson2508
AG
Finished Blood Song Sunday and got on the net to see when book 2 was coming out....oh **** it's out in two days! Perfect timing.
Thunder18
AG
Popped up on my kindle last night...just started a different book but will be checking this one out shortly

Wrong emoticon. Should be thumbs up

[This message has been edited by thunder18 (edited 7/1/2014 6:23p).]
jlb2957
AG
I probably should have reread blood song first... I can't remember who some of the characters are.
Hudson2508
AG
*Spoilers*

Thought it was a solid sequel. The different POVs were all great but my main criticism was too little Vaelin. The ending was pretty nuts and it ends on quite the cliff hanger but I think I know what happened.

Loved Reva and Frentis' POVs, think the next book will focus much more on Vaelin now that most of the characters are together.
OCEN99
AG
I'm about halfway through, and I agree with jlb. Fun read so far though.
jlb2957
AG
Halfway through so far.

I have to keep stifling my disappointment in the fact there are multiple points of view. I love single points of view (mainly because I hate cliff hangers for 4 chapters at a time). That being said, I am enjoying it so far.
PatAg
AG
Good series.
jlb2957
AG
Agree with Hudson.

I thought it was a solid entry and, while i did enjoy the other POVs, I wanted more Vaelin.

Time to look forward to the next one, though I am probably going to reread Blood Song in the coming weeks because I need a huge refresher.

I do know that the third book is already written and was with his editors as of a few months ago, so we may not have to wait TOO long for the third. At least not as long of a wait as Patrick Rothfuss.
maverick2076
^
Even Pat Rothfuss waits aren't that bad. George Martin waits, on the other hand...

I think people who read fantasy have gotten spoiled by Brandon Sanderson and how fast he writes.
Hudson2508
AG
Yeah Sanderson is great and you're right Rothfuss has nothing on GRRM. I'm also glad I didn't read the WoT on Robert Jordan's schedule.

So what kind of timeframe should we expect with Ryan's publishers? 6 months minimum? A year?
jlb2957
AG
No idea... i just know for a fact it is finished and they have it as Ryan told me via e-mail.

tremble
AG
First felt tighter to me. Think all the POVs made for a little sloppier narrative.

Good sequel though, looks like Vaelin needs a recharge for his powers
Texas Yarddog
AG
Tower lord is getting trashed on the Amazon comments. Is it just that it didn't live up to Blood Song or is it really that bad? Is there any real progression of the main arc or is it just filler? Hard to know with the comments.
Hudson2508
AG
Haha, I wouldn't by any means call it a bad book. Was it as good as Blood Song, hell no. The story progressed but not nearly as far as I would have liked. Like I said earlier I think the book failed a little because Al Sorna was not the main focus. But saying that, I enjoyed the other characters and think they deserved a part of the story.

I've been reading a lot of discussion on Reddit and there are a few who are blasting it but most people agree it's a good book and worth the read.

Blood Song was excellent because it was able to focus on one guy and his tremendous character growth. This book lacked that and wasn't able to focus on anyone enough to really make me care about the characters as much as I care about Vaelin. But I know the story needed to expand and the additional characters were needed to build the world of the book. Could it have been done better, sure. But it's still a great story and I'm glad I read it.

[This message has been edited by hudson2508 (edited 7/13/2014 7:44p).]
jlb2957
AG
Hudgson said it.

I can honestly say I enjoyed the book the entire time. However, I admit I was always trying to get back to Vaelin's parts as we spent an entire novel getting to know him and becoming invested in his character.
Texas Yarddog
AG
Thanks. I figured it was a case of higher than normal expectations due to the greatness of Blood Song. Looks like I will be picking it up. I just re-read Blood Song to get back up to speed and then started reading the comments for Tower Lord. Appreciate the input.
LawAg05
AG
Enjoyed it. Looking forward to the next one.
bearamedic99
AG
Just finished this book. Great book IMO. I liked the additional POVs over just the Jedi - like Vaelin. The final cliffhanger angers me because I want to know the result now.
mid90
AG
Just finished Tower Lord.

Like others have said, Blood Song was definitely better, but Tower Lord was still a good read. On the whole, I think I liked having multiple POVs, but there were definitely times when I didn't care much for a Reva or Lyrna chapter. Vaelin's chapters of course were great, but I think Frentis was my favorite character in this book. His journey and transformation was creepy and disturbing, yet also redeeming and uplifting at the end.

My main dissatisfaction with the book (and Blood Song) was how quickly Ryan flies through major events. Sometimes it's great that he does so: for instance, GRRM could have written an entire novel's worth of a character as a prisoner POVs, whereas Ryan spent about 2 chapters. But other times, it feels choppy. For instance: one chapter can take place over several weeks of time, and it's hard to get a feel for how much time has passed, which makes some character transformations feel huge and out of place.

Regarding the end of the book.........
**************************************SPOILER********************************************

Everyone seems to agree that the 2 assassins who attack Lyrna are the priest who raised Reva and the lord who's controlled by 1 of the 3 spirits from the Beyond, and that Weaver is using his healing gift (which was revealed to Vaelin on his trip to the Fallen City in Blood Song) to heal Lyrna's burns, and that the line "she burned" refers to the pain of being healed, a la Frentis being healed of his scars.

Did any of y'all come to different conclusions?

**************************************SPOILER********************************************
jlb2957
AG
Didn't see this post.

I'll post my comments later after work!
jlb2957
AG
It's after work and I'm a little drunk now.

Suffice it to say that I enjoyed the hell outta this book. After reading, I immediately went back and re-read blood song... and it was even better the second time.

I do kind of wish the story itself only needed to be told from Vaelin's point of view because I would have loved a whole book about a year or more of him being the Tower Lord of the North. Could have been a great book.

Unfortunately, that is not the story Ryan is telling here. His story is about these dead people who are trying to do something that we do not understand yet. We just know they are trying to destroy the unified realm.
jbsj9698
AG
It sounded more that the Unified Realm was the staging ground for an invasion into the Alpiran Empire.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.