Edge of Tomorrow

12,904 Views | 101 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Duncan Idaho
Carlo4
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just got back.

Great action. 1/2 of movie is surprisingly very funny. One of Tom Cruise's better roles because it's not a typical role for him. Emily Blunt is great as well. I thought they had good chemistry.

If you hate Cruise, you see him die and die and die.... So you should support the film as well.

No spoilers. Just go enjoy the movie. Found it very fitting it opened on D-day.
Saxsoon
AG
My review from the other thread

quote:
Just got back from a pre-screening. Damn that was a great movie. This is probably the most fun I have had this year at the movies, and I am including Cap and XMen in that (they are both technically better films because of the established continuity and characters, but damn this movie made me love it)

Tom Cruise plays a little ****face media relations guy for the military and it is hilarious watching him try to blackmail a general to getting out of the warzone at the beginning. He has some GREAT character growth throughout the film and he and Emily Blunt really share the screen well. They really transform into the badass he needs to be and what we usually expect from Tom Cruise. Towards the end, he began to remind me of a slightly more relatable version of his Jack Reacher character.

It is interesting to note that Emily Blunt is a complete badass in the film, and she is the one to make Tom Cruise into a badass. Definitely a different take on the gender roles which is welcome. They call her Full Metal ***** behind her back if that helps convey her role

The aliens are pretty terrifying, lithe and fast, I would never want to go up against one of these things. Even with a lot on the battlefield at once, I never seemed to quite get over how ferocious and terrifying these would be in the one on one scenarios throughout the film. I never felt like they overstayed their welcome which was my initial concern at seeing so many of them.

The most unexpected part of the film is how funny it can be. There is obviously a lot of humor towards his various deaths and reactions upon waking up. It is Groundhogs Day: Apocalypse.
Bruce Almighty
AG
This was a very good movie. With this, X-Men, and Captain, this summer is shaping up to be one of the better summers in the last few years. The humor saved the film from getting too repetitive. If the movie took itself too seriously, I'm not sure it would have worked as well as it did. For all of Tom Cruise's faults, I generally enjoy his films, and this is one of his best.
Saxsoon
AG
The humor really did it for this movie.

I know Mr and Mrs Smith wasn't as good of a film, but I really enjoyed the comedic elements of what should be a more serious subject matter. I think the director really captured that and shot the film in such a way to do that. The way he would die in a sudden and terrible ways and Tom Cruise's reaction suddenly after really helped the film. Each time he died he learned something new and they used it to progress the plot.
OasisMan
AG
well done
chipotle
8/10
Gradin
AG
I really liked this movie. Very funny and entertaining.
HeadGames
AG
Same, I like it enough to see it again...

As soon as i'm done writing this God awful book chapter, which happens to be taking up all my time.
Gradin
AG
Looks like the early box office numbers are not looking great for this movie. Which is a huge shame. It was a such a great film.
Mozart Paintings
AG
Saw it an very much enjoyed it!
chipotle
Seriously contemplating seeing it again today.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Can't believe the box office isn't good.
TitanAGGIE09
AG
I really liked it. My wife was about 50/50 on it so that means it was very good. Typically she hates this stuff
FL_Ag1998
AG
Maybe I'm way off, and maybe I'll get blasted for it, but my first instinct to explain the box office numbers are that, at a first superficial glance (which is all that most people give movie trailers/commercials) it looks like the typical Tom Cruise movie that we've come to expect from him in recent years.

I hope you're all correct, in that it isn't typical and it is above average. But as I said in the Tom Cruise thread awhile back, it just seems like Cruise is in a rut picking his roles, and this movie superficially feels like other recent Scifi movies (Elysium, Oblivion, District 9). So when the average moviegoer sees a trailer that just seems like its already been done too often, too recently, they're probably gonna just wait to rent it.
Bruce Almighty
AG
This is so much better than Elysium and Oblivion.
TajMaballer
AG
quote:
Maybe I'm way off, and maybe I'll get blasted for it, but my first instinct to explain the box office numbers are that, at a first superficial glance (which is all that most people give movie trailers/commercials) it looks like the typical Tom Cruise movie that we've come to expect from him in recent years.

I hope you're all correct, in that it isn't typical and it is above average. But as I said in the Tom Cruise thread awhile back, it just seems like Cruise is in a rut picking his roles, and this movie superficially feels like other recent Scifi movies (Elysium, Oblivion, District 9). So when the average moviegoer sees a trailer that just seems like its already been done too often, too recently, they're probably gonna just wait to rent it.

I agree with this 100% unfortunately. I loved this movie, but don't expect big numbers from it because of Tom Cruise. I understand people don't like him, but his movies are pretty entertaining.

What doesn't help the numbers for Edge is that The Fault of Our Stars opened this weekend. It's a teenage audience which kills at the box office this time of year with actors (Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort) who were just in another teen movie (Divergent).
20ag07
quote:
What doesn't help the numbers for Edge is that The Fault of Our Stars opened this weekend. It's a teenage audience which kills at the box office this time of year with actors (Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort) who were just in another teen movie (Divergent).
There is no reason a $20M movie about teens with cancer should crush a $200M Cruise blockbuster, except for Cruise no longer being marketable as an action star. They are playing to two totally different audiences, and if everyone wasn't over Cruise, there would have been room for both to do well this weekend. It's time for him to try to reinvent himself with a starring comedy role.

[This message has been edited by 20ag07 (edited 6/8/2014 1:16p).]
TajMaballer
AG
My point was that Fault of Our Stars was going to get their big numbers regardless. It doesn't help the perception of Edge of Tomorrow when it comes in second to a Young Adult novel turned movie beat it in the box office.

[This message has been edited by Tajmaballer (edited 6/8/2014 2:10p).]
redd38
AG
Every girl I know was looking forward to Fault in Our Stars, no guy I know was looking forward to Edge Of Tomorrow. The trailers just didn't make it look very appealing. Based on reviews I'll probably go see it but it's not too surprising to me that it was beat by Fault.
20ag07
quote:
It doesn't help the perception of Edge of Tomorrow when it comes in second to a Young Adult novel turned movie beat it in the box office.
It came in 3rd behind Maleficient. Less than $30M is a disaster without needing to compare it to anything- perception of what it got beat by doesn't make it much worse than it already was.
TCTTS
AG
EoT made over $80M overseas. Domestic box office is no longer the defining box office statistic. Less than $30M domestic definitely isn't good, but all things considered, it's no disaster either. I think it'll have legs, too, based on word of mouth. Not strong legs, but I doubt it dives in its second weekend as much as other blockbusters have this summer.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 6/8/2014 4:21p).]
G Martin 87
AG
Our theater was full for the 2:25 Sunday matinee showing. I know I intend to spread the word to all my friends. This was one of the best sci-fi action movies I've seen in many years. Tom Cruise was great, Emily Blunt was great, the effects were great, the story was great… You get the idea. Loved every minute of it! Do not miss this movie in the theaters.
HockeyAg07
AG
Just saw it too. Pretty good IMO. I'll second that the unexpected comedy made it a solid film. Felt like iron man meets gears of war meets halo. Good flick.
Old Main
AG
Word of mouth should help Edge of Tomorrow. More people will see it when they hear that it is not the typical Tom Cruise action flick. I haven't read a bad review yet. I'm looking forward to seeing it in the next day or two.

israeliag
AG
Definitely a great film!

The concept is, while perhaps unoriginal ala Ground Hog day, so well done and adding the elements of a DDAY esque invasion truly fit. The acting was great, the dialogue was good, and as others mentioned the humor was incredible. Seems fitting considering this movie is as much about death ad anything else, and death is afterall life's ultimate punchline.

Has anyone read the book and can compare? There is so much more thematically that could be explored that I'm probably going to read it next.

My only complaint is that this absolutely needed to be rated R to properly convey the emotions and shock of such a terrifying enemy and horrors of war. Sure you can say that about any movie, but one trying to convey a Normandy invasion and the senselessness of death really needs that to hit home.
chipotle
quote:
Has anyone read the book and can compare? There is so much more thematically that could be explored that I'm probably going to read it next.

Read it. It will only take you a day.
schmendeler
AG
Enjoyed it quite a bit. The humor was a nice addition and I liked the plot device. One of my favorite episodes of TNG uses a similar time-loop set up. Maybe it was just me but I enjoyed the love story aspect of it, that he really comes to care for her from actually spending time with her, not the usual action movie "fall in love in five minutes while running for your life". I liked oblivion but this was better. I'm not surprised it has been down in the box office though, literally no one I knew was going to see it. Hopefully wom carries it next week.
schmendeler
AG
*******spoiler*******

1. At the end, why does he jump back again? I assumed it was something to do with the blood from the omega in the water? Or was he really not "cured" from the alpha?
2. Why did he jump all the way back to his helicopter trip? If any time/place, why not back to the same point he'd always reset to? Did I miss something or was that just a nice tidy way to wrap things up in a bow?

Does the book explain these any?

*********spoilers*********

[This message has been edited by Schmendeler (edited 6/8/2014 10:21p).]
chipotle
spoiler

The omega blood gets all over him and he regains the power. So I guess the next time he dies he'll go back to that day again? Never understood why he goes back to that day but I had a feeling at the beginning of the movie him waking up there at that time was going to come to play again.

The book and movie only have 50% or so in common and doesn't get into so much as to why/how the time resetting thing works. This is actually one of the first times I thought the movie was better than the book.

/spoiler
PatAg
AG
I would not be surprised to see this movie have a strong second week due to word of mouth.

edit: I posted without reading the thread, so sorry for the repeated thought.

[This message has been edited by PatAg (edited 6/8/2014 11:04p).]
Chuck Gay
AG
Saw it tonight. It was good. I'm guessing WoM will help this out in the weeks to come.
G Martin 87
AG
spoiler

quote:

The omega blood gets all over him and he regains the power. So I guess the next time he dies he'll go back to that day again? Never understood why he goes back to that day but I had a feeling at the beginning of the movie him waking up there at that time was going to come to play again.

A good point, but Cage knows how to "turn it off" now if he wanted to. Perhaps even repeated blood donations would be enough to lose the power since the body would naturally replace the lost blood volume with new cells.

Scratch my previous inference. The "reset" power takes Cage back to the start of the previous day. He kept returning to the base as Pvt Cage because he couldn't make it past the invasion day. He returns to the helicopter because he killed the Omega on the same day as the invasion.

/spoiler

[This message has been edited by G Martin 87 (edited 6/9/2014 8:05a).]
israeliag
AG
Spoiler

The omega blood returning him to the helicopter I can get, but how was the war over then? Didn't they say when he landed at the end to meet the general that they killed the omega in Paris? Killing the omega kills it in the past?

End spoiler
PlanoAggie
AG
Kids and I really enjoyed this one!! Exactly what a summer movie should be -- Fun and entertaining!!
bigjohn1
AG
Really enjoyed seeing this. Saw it in XD-3D (Cinemark's version of Imax-3D) and it was worth it. The battle scenes were well shot and were not filled with too much jerky, handheld camera-type action.

I enjoyed the development of Tom Cruise's character as he went through the resets, seeing him go through the various stages, from disbelief, to denial, to acceptance, to despair/depression, and to badass.

Emily Blunt was great as the Full Metal B****. Great hard-shell exterior, but opens up as they go along.

This won't win any Oscars, but it was a good popcorn flick and very entertaining.

Oh, and I did love Bill Paxton as the Master Sergeant and the comedic value of Cruise's interactions with him each time he came back.

**Slight Spoiler**

And am I the only one that thought the rolling under the truck (the first try) was hilarious - especially Bill Paxton's reaction to it? I laughed out loud in the theater, but only heard one or two others laugh at it.

**End Spoiler**

[This message has been edited by bigjohn1 (edited 6/9/2014 10:39a).]
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.