Penny Dreadful

7,030 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by aggieactor01
Lex
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Have any of you watched it. It's 2 episodes in and I am intrigued. I don't know if I love it or hate it.

It's definitely interesting.
getme
Actually considering getting Showtime to watch this, might wait until it's available streaming and watch all episodes.
Professor
I keep hoping that more things will be explained further along, so I stay with it.
Lex
Without spoilers. There was lots of things I liked in this last episode. The end was my favorite. When he was all "your son is back. I told you I would find you!" I was scared. I also think Dorian may be crazy. I love Vanessa. She is mysterious. I don't know what she is.
ellebee
Watched the first episode. Thread reminded me to set my dvr. It was interesting. I kind of wonder if the chick is actually evil.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
I keep thinking that the movie Penny Dreadful is on when I see the title on the guide. Doubt that will ever be the case though.
marble rye
AG
First time I saw the show on the guide, I thought they had made a show about murderous clowns.
iceman08
AG
I watched the 2 episodes, it's interesting. .. Eva Green is perfect in this role
schmendeler
AG
I know next to nothing about the show, but the name alone makes me not want to watch it. It sounds like some BBC America series made in Canada with British actors.
iceman08
AG
^
It's not, some parts are actually pretty freaky, shows ppl drinking, sexing and ... monster'ing - Eva Green seriously freaked me out in the second episode
howitzercannon
Clavell
AG
http://forums.texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?topic_id=2474717&forum_id=13
As mentioned in other thread. Think formation of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

[This message has been edited by Clavell (edited 5/23/2014 9:28p).]
Belton Ag
AG
Pretty awesome show, actually. I got Showtime because DirecTV was offering it in a deal and I'm glad I did.

Eva Green is beyond gorgeous. One of the most beautiful women in entertainment today.
MW03
AG
Catching up on On Demand. Pretty good so far.
Say Chowdah
AG
I caught up on demand strictly due to this thread.

It is League of Extraordinary Gentlemenesque without all the suck that LOEG brought to the big screen.

Thanks!
ellebee
I'm caught up now. Pretty good and creepy so far. I'm in. What was the deal with Felton at the end? Was someone calling him master?
PuryearFratDaddy
AG
For anyone remotely considering this, watch the 15min 'making of' episode titled 'Inside'...old school, classical 1800's mix with the modern.

Little original or unpredictable entertainment available nowadays. Just started episode 3 and am hooked. An intriguing web of characters, captivating and graphic, but not over the top.

K2-HMFIC
I'm still trying to figure what Josh Hartnett's character really is.

Werewolf?
MW03
AG
I think he's the Texan from Bram Stoker's Dracula, right? But then again, I don't know why he'd have a problem with things killing rats and what not. I really didn't understand the end of that last episode, or why the opera sent him off the rails. Unless DG drugged him by giving him something other than sugar with his absinthe.
MW03
AG
Incidentally, I could never tell if Billy Piper was hot on Doctor Who. That issues seems decided on the negative, now.
ellebee
I was confused about the absinthe scene as well, but I'm not familiar with the Dorian gray story other than him being hedonistic.
MW03
AG
Basically, DG is a jerk and a narcissist that becomes obsessed with hedonism. And every time he does something wrong, his portrait ages and warps. However, he never ages. I don't think these stories are following the classical stories, though, if the Frankenstein arc is any indicator.

[This message has been edited by MW03 (edited 6/3/2014 10:26a).]
Sex Panther
AG
I haven't watched this show (no Showtime) but I would like to, it sounds interesting.

But I just wanted to say that you should read The Picture of Dorian Gray, it's one of my favorite books of all time. Oscar Wilde is awesome.
ellebee
So is his fave painting that's hidden in the back room of him?
98Ag99Grad
AG
quote:
I'm still trying to figure what Josh Hartnett's character really is.

Werewolf?

My guess as well. Could have done without the kissing scene between him and Dorian.
Apache
AG
It's like True Blood set in Victorian London.

All kinds of supernaturals about & no one is sure what the other is.

A little muddled and they haven't made me care about the daughter that went "to the dark side" that is driving the whole thing.

I'm still watching...
ellebee
Well that was interesting. Not real clear about what went down when malcome went to see her and then all of a sudden she was walking down the beach with long hair. How did she get better between that time? Girl got her some issues.
TheCougarHunter
AG
Damn good episode last night. Explained a lot of things. This show is great so far
BarryProfit
Can't watch anymore, it's terrible
Clavell
AG
Just caught last episode. This thing is over the top in good way. Guilty pleasure. For someone that grew up on all the old classic horror films it brings back great memories.
ElCheAg
AG
Still can't figure out why there's an American soldier/Wild Bill character in the series. Kinda misplaced (thus far in the series) IMO.
Aggie94
AG
I've taught the works that Penny Dreadful draws from, and I'm really enjoying the series and the various references it's making to them.

The Dorian Gray character is probably the best adaptation of the character I've seen on screen - the novel never specifies the vices Gray indulges in directly, but there's a lot of implying and the show just takes it and runs with it. Above all, Dorian corrupts people and the show is showing him do just that.

Ethan Chandler is not the Texan from Dracula - that's Quincey Morris. I think we're being led to believe he's a werewolf, but that might be just to throw viewers off. But if he is a werewolf that could explain how he fits in with the rest of this group of loners. I'm also wondering about his knowledge of religious dogma...

And this show is exactly what League of Extraordinary Gentlemen should have been as a movie.
Clavell
AG
Yeah, the latin came out of no where and Dorian Gray is perfect. Keep waiting for werewolf to show. I got confused a number of episodes back when a murder looked like could have been Jack the Ripper or werewolf. No Jekyll and Hyde or invisable man yet, but pretty much rest have joined the fun. Oh yeah... no mummy yet, but heading to Egypt means mummy center.

[This message has been edited by Clavell (edited 6/25/2014 8:40a).]
Sex Panther
AG
@Aggie94

Like I said earlier on this thread of this show I have never watched, I love the story of Dorian Gray.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1235124/?ref_=nv_sr_1

This is probably the best adaptation of it on film. The guy who plays Dorian is ok, definitely above average, but Colin Firth steals the show as Henry Wotten. He's the one with all the great quips, and is the original corruptor and manipulator of people.
Astroag
AG
That jack the ripper murder was Dr. Frankensteins monster...

If ya ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin!!!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.