X-MEN: APOCALYPSE coming May 27, 2016

66,041 Views | 487 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TajMaballer
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
(I see what you did there.)
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
I think they kind of struck gold with McAvoy, Fassbender and Lawrence, but also wrote themselves into a corner.

I mean, she's right - if they all leave, where does that leave the franchise? With all these young stars we're seeing for the first time in the ~6th film? The timeline jumps have made consistency nearly impossible.
I don't necessarily see the problem. If they lose McAvoy, Fassbender, and Lawrence tomorrow, they could at this point probably transition to the younger cast as the focal point. There's already X-Force film in development as well as a New Mutants film. Simon Kinberg has also said several times now that he wants to adapt The Dark Phoenix saga in a future film. That's also not to mention that if the next film is set in the 90's that characters like Charles and Erik would be in their 50's or almost 60.

Regardless, the X-Men franchise is in a better state than any of the DC stuff right now.
rhutton125
AG
But at least the DC stuff has a plan. I think it's a cheap and late copy of the MCU, but it has more potential. Unless they just rock the casting, I don't see how a 90s New Mutants film would top anyone's "most anticipated" list.
toucan82
I'm in if they kill Doug Ramsey because being good with languages is the lamest superpower ever
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
I'm in if they kill Doug Ramsey because being good with languages is the lamest superpower ever

Most of the mutants we encounter have pretty lame powers. I think that's a bonus, really. Only the top few % are X-men material.
Ambres
AG
I want a good Kitty Pryde (Shadowcat) movie.

AggieHank86
AG
quote:
I might be in the minority here but I cannot stand Jennifer Lawrence and think she is a no talent ass clown.
Two words: Winter's Bone
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
But at least the DC stuff has a plan.
Yeah, I'm not so sure that they really do though. The nice thing about the X-Men movies is that even if there isn't a next one, the story the movie has told is complete. BvS was part of DC/WB's plan but came across as just a complete mess because they wanted to setup so much stuff for the movies after.
jeffk
AG
quote:
quote:
I might be in the minority here but I cannot stand Jennifer Lawrence and think she is a no talent ass clown.
Two words: Winter's Bone

She was pretty decent in Joy too IMO.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Apocalypse is shaping up to be the worst reviewed film in the X-Men franchise

Yikes. Oh, they aren't counting X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

Looks like this'll be one that I catch some afternoon late in June right before it leaves theaters.

Obviously I haven't seen it, but IMO this can all be placed at the feet of one person: Bryan Singer. He made two great X-Men movies over a decade ago and then, after Matthew Vaughn made what I consider the best film in the series with the 'reboot' First Class, Singer took the franchise back and has tread water with it since then.

I thought that DoFP was ultimately a disappointment given the classic storyline he used and this looks bland and uninteresting. Hopefully, Fox will hand future movies in the series over to new blood.
Bobcat06
AG
quote:
I thought that DoFP was ultimately a disappointment given the classic storyline he used
I find it hilarious how critical people are now of DoFP, when two years ago they were celebrating it as a genius way to purge all the bad parts of X3 and Wolverine Origins from the timeline.

GiveEmHellBill
AG
I was very underwhelmed when I walked out of the theater after DoFP. They went from the excellent First Class to making a film version of the greatest X-Men story ever and that was what we got?

What bothers me most about all this is that we are getting some truly great Marvel films right now and my favorite comic series from the 80's has turned out to be a series I can't get any enthusiasm for.
Phat32
AG
I thought DoFP was great. *hides*
double aught
AG
I'm with ya.
nickstro66
AG
Too bad we couldn't get a Deadpool/Wolverine crossover before Hugh Jackman retires.
Bobcat06
AG
quote:
Too bad we couldn't get a Deadpool/Wolverine crossover before Hugh Jackman retires.
We did...
nickstro66
nickstro66
AG
With the final Wolverine movie being rated R there has to be at least a Deadpool appearance right?
rhutton125
AG
I think Matthew Vaughan is highly overrated
Sex Panther
AG
Really? I think he has one of the most impressive, and flat out entertaining resumes in Hollywood
TajMaballer
AG
quote:
Really? I think he has one of the most impressive, and flat out entertaining resumes in Hollywood
Kickass
First Class
Kingsman

All three are amazing in my opinion
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
I thought DoFP was great. *hides*

Almost everyone agrees with you. The hate for DOFP by a loud minority is all a recent thing.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
quote:
Kickass
First Class
Kingsman

Don't forget Layer Cake, which may actually be my favorite.
TajMaballer
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Kickass
First Class
Kingsman

I heard this referenced because of Craig, but had no idea that Vaughn directed! Will check this out ASAP.
Bobcat06
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Kickass
First Class
Kingsman

Star Dust may be a children's movie, but I really enjoyed it when I saw it in theaters. I didn't realize that Vaughn directed it until about a year ago.
FaceMask
Matthew Vaughn also produced Lock,Stock & two Smoking Barrels and Snatch.
BigRobSA
At my local theater in Cedar Rapids for the 7pm, 2D showing. Me and 6 other dudes in a 200+ person theater 17 mins before the start of the 30 mins of crap before the start of the movie.

Same showing of CA:CW it was packed already at 6:43.

Wonder if it's an omen??
rhutton125
AG
It's done well overseas but there's nowhere near the hype for this thing than Civil War. No way.

I'll be there this weekend though. Watching DoFP right now, in fact
Desert Power
AG
Loved it. I went in with pretty low expectations but it definitely surprised me. Very entertaining.
BigRobSA
Liked it enough. Humor, cameos, etc all went together okay.

Slow to build, though. There IS a post-all-credits scene, too.

MrPlow2010
AG
I thought Days of Future Past was a better movie but I really enjoyed this one too. The fight scenes were the best of any of the Xmen movies. I loved how there was a lot of mutants and I thought the Quicksilver scene stole the show again. After some of the reviews I thought it was going to suck but it was better than I thought it would be. The pacing was all over the place for a while but it came together finally.

I really liked Fassbender as Magneto. He is such a good actor. I wish Oscar Isaac could have shined more but they really could have had any guy play Apocalypse. I'm also really glad it wasn't Mystique and the xmen. The trailers made it feel like she had a huge part. The after credits scene was cool too.

Can any one explain the scene at the end of DOFP when Mystique disguised as Stryker takes Wolverine?
Aggie_3
Wife and I just got back we both thought it was awesome very well done!
Really???
I'd rank this as 5th out of the 6 main films. Didn't care about any of the characters or what was happening to them. (Another film with millions upon millions dying and I found myself looking at my watch to see if it was almost over.)

Olivia Munn and Jennifer Lawrence are hot at least.
TajMaballer
AG
I'd give it a 6/10. Liked it, didn't love it. I am intrigued by Sophie Turner as Jean Grey. Also really liked Nightcrawler and of course Quicksilver. I'll get a spoiler thread going so we can talk plot points.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.