X-MEN: APOCALYPSE coming May 27, 2016

66,027 Views | 487 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TajMaballer
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bryan Singer just announced. As a follow-up to Days of Future Past.

Have never read an X-Men comic in my life, so all I know is that Apocalypse is a popular/revered X-Men title. So... what's the plot? Who/what is Apocalypse? And what does this tell us about the plot of DOFP?

I'm so incredibly over this franchise, but DOFP does at least look intriguing, and I guess I'm mildly curious what this implies for the franchise as a whole.
Philip J Fry
AG
I assume that means Apocalypse is in it....which would be fricken awesome.

Apocalypse is revealed to be the main instigator in dofp

[This message has been edited by Philip J Fry (edited 12/5/2013 4:00p).]
Red Five
AG
Apocalypse is a recurring villain for the X-men, so theres not really any way to tell based on the title what the plot will be. If its based on Age of Apocalypse, as it should be, then it will suck if its only one movie.

Professor X's deranged reality-warping son travels back in time to kill Magneto and Professor X tries to save Magneto and is killed intead. With Professor X dead the universe spins off into an alternate version of the future where Magneto heads the X-men and attempts to create peace between mutants and humans to honor Charles's legacy. Apocalypse conquers North America and sets up his survival of the fittest regime and wipes out humans so that mutants can become the premiere race. Basically the whole world is all F'd up. Bishop followed Charles's son back in time and then got trapped in the alternate future so he is the only one who knows that the world is supposed to be different. He finds Magneto and then the X-men try to figure out how to put the world back the way it was supposed to be.

That really doesnt do it justice, there is a lot more that goes on. A lot of mutants are different or are in different roles. Cyclops is the head enforcer of Apocalypses mutant cops, Colossus is an insane bloodthirsty maniac trying to find his sister, Wolverine and Jean are together, theres a lot different.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Apocalypse is the "first mutant" over 5000 years old. He is supposed to be the "gods" of many civilizations in the past. He had been forced into hibernation and Cable going back in time "awakened" him.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
Professor X's deranged reality-warping son travels back in time to kill Magneto and Professor X tries to save Magneto and is killed intead. With Professor X dead the universe spins off into an alternate version of the future where Magneto heads the X-men and attempts to create peace between mutants and humans to honor Charles's legacy. Apocalypse conquers North America and sets up his survival of the fittest regime and wipes out humans so that mutants can become the premiere race. Basically the whole world is all F'd up. Bishop followed Charles's son back in time and then got trapped in the alternate future so he is the only one who knows that the world is supposed to be different. He finds Magneto and then the X-men try to figure out how to put the world back the way it was supposed to be.

TCTTS
AG
quote:
Professor X's deranged reality-warping son travels back in time to kill Magneto and Professor X tries to save Magneto and is killed intead. With Professor X dead the universe spins off into an alternate version of the future where Magneto heads the X-men and attempts to create peace between mutants and humans to honor Charles's legacy.

Knowing what we know about DOFP, I think it's safe to say who bites the bullet (yet again) by the end of that film, setting things up for the Apocalypse in much the same way as you described.
T Bow
Hell yes!!!!!
Dro07
AG
I hope they bring on Askani Son for it or reference him in DOFP
Red Five
AG
I'd rather have Age of Apocalypse than another storyline, but I'd rather have Cable than Nate Grey. Tough choices.
Dro07
AG
I agree on Cable but that story line is so intertwined with details i think they would mess it up big time.
OnlyForNow
AG
It would be close to impossible to bring in Cable as he is in the comics without doing major back story... like a whole other movie just on back story.

And with apocolypse you get into the whole Savage Land crap and Sauron and the blue guy in the red cape....

It opens up the entire Uncanny X-Men universe...
Al Bula
AG
This could be good if done properly. I sure hope Apocalypse will look bad ass and not like the 1980s comics or X-Men cartoon version.

GiveEmHellBill
AG
Those mutants better be careful about all this time travel, or else this man will become more powerful than even Apocalypse:

You got a problem with that, butthead???
TCTTS
AG
A few spoilery notes - including the end-tag description of DOFP - and how it relates to Apocalypse...

http://www.firstshowing.net/2013/exclusive-how-x-men-days-of-future-past-teases-x-men-apocalypse/
toucan82
that's.... interesting
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
That's a pretty major spoiler if true.

As much as the comics screwed with timelines and alternate realities over the years, there's no reason to expect the movie to stick to a familiar plot.
Btron
AG
Two McFly's with the same gun!

Keep talking nerds. Loved that Biff made this thread.
aTmLoKi
AG
Man, this would be a major win. Apocalypse has always been my favorite supervillain - based on his powers, story, and what he is able to do. He has a good number of stories to choose from - which lends its way to really opening the door up for the future of this franchise. Adding Apocalypse is a GOOD thing!
YouBet
AG
So, as someone who is super anal about chronology and reading things in order could I read the old Age of Apocalypse story line as a standalone series without reading any other X-men comics? I read X-men as a kid but don't remember any of it but have a decent command of the back story's.
BillOnCapitolHill
Any chance they bring Jean back and easy button apocalypse with her "I'm gonna disassemble your matter" attack?
toucan82
Yes, it can be read by itself
Dro07
AG
Age of Apocalypse can be read along but it spoils some of the previous stuff incase you want to read it. I don't like the Nate Grey Story line compared to the Nathan Dayspring story line but thats just me. I would read X-force (Cable) and then after that read Age of Apocalypse but to each his own
TCTTS
AG
So... now having seen Days of Future Past, how do the events of that movie inform this one?

Here's what we (think we) know about Apocalypse so far...

- It will take place in the '80s, which could be pretty cool. This hasn't been confirmed yet, but I'm pretty sure the filmmakers have hinted as much.

- It will introduce new, younger iterations of Jean Gray and Cyclops (who will eventually grow up to be the Famke Jansen and James Marsden versions of the characters). Again, not confirmed, but alluded to by the filmmakers.

- Gambit may play a role as well.

- Apocalypse will obviously be the villain, returning from wherever he's been hiding since ancient times.

Where we left off in 1973...

- Charles and Beast are still the only two "good" mutants currently part of any kind of a bond/team.

- Wolverine is alive, but presumably with no memory of the events of DOFP, and in the "possession" of Mystique, who is masquerading as Colonel Stryker. For what purpose, we have no idea.

- Magneto flew away from White House to likely regroup / recruit / hatch his next plan-of-attack.

Despite its many flaws and inconsistencies, I definitely enjoyed DOFP for the most part. The main thing that bugged me, though, was how the purpose of its plot seemed to contradict Charles' (McAvoy's) final voice over at the end, where he basically says the future is unwritten. The entire point of the movie was that the mutants of an apocalyptic 2023 HAD to go back in time in order to save civilization from near-total annihilation via Sentinels - the mutants succeed in their mission - and we see that a new, better timeline/2023 is created in its place. And we know the next movie will focus exclusively on the First Class/1973 group. Yet, because we've already seen their future, we know that things ultimately work out in the end, and that at least Charles, Wolverine, Jean Gray, Cyclops, Storm, Beast, Kitty, Bobby, and Rogue live. So, whatever events happen in Apocalypse, those events WON'T result in the death of those characters, and won't lead to any kind of actual apocalypse. In other words, their future IS written, contrary to Charles' voice over, because we've actually read the end result via that final scene in the mansion where everything's okay, and everyone's alive (which IS the end-result of the new timeline, the one we'll see partly play-out in Apocalypse).

I mean, yes, it'll be interesting to see what ultimately becomes of Magneto and Mystique in the new timeline (since we weren't shown their fate), and watching the 1973 Wolverine eventually join the team (and potentially get his adamantium again) might be kind of cool - but still, knowing that basically ALL the "good" mutants live through Apocalypse is a huge level of suspense removed from the next movie. We'll get to see the "original team" come together, but knowing they'll never break up or lose a member is pretty lame.

What are everyone else's thoughts?

And how can the Apocalypse story of the comics play into what we now know?

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 5/25/2014 5:46p).]
Bruce Almighty
AG
Of course the future is unwritten because in a world where time travel is possible, timelines can always be changed. The voice over is from 1970s Xavier point of view. He doesn't know what the future holds. The audience may know the end game, but that's essentially true for every time travel movie. How is Terminator any different? From a movie character's perspective, things are different.
tomtomdrumdrum
AG
Who cares if we know the X-Men live? This isn't Game of Thrones, it's a super hero movie. It's like MacGyver - we know he'll survive, we just want to see how.
Scotty Flamingo
quote:
I sure hope Apocalypse will look bad ass and not like the....X-Men cartoon version.

YOU TAKE THAT BACK!

Madmarttigan
AG
I feel like trying to read the biography of Apocalypse on wikipedia is the most confusing thing in the world except for the very beginning.
Dro07
AG
So is there a cable cameo or not dammit in DOFP
Seven Psycho Ags
I just saw it and I didn't notice him if he was in it.

I'm really hoping they redo Deadpool in this one and do him right. He and Cable are always getting into trouble together
Dro07
AG
Damn
Dro07
AG
I just don't understand how they can make an apocalypse movie without cable. Surely they have him in it..... They just have to. I am going to be pretty pissed if they don't.

Jason Clark would make I think a perfect cable
AliasMan02
AG
I'm kinda hoping we get an Apocalypse that is crossed with Sinister, and is obsessed with the Summers/Gray genetic line.
Quad Dog
AG
Movie audiences are going to be so confused in a few years...

[This message has been edited by Quad Dog (edited 5/27/2014 7:46a).]
jeffk
AG
Me after reading this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horsemen_of_Apocalypse
AliasMan02
AG
I've been watching the X-films again, and think it will be nice if they can get Xavier and Magneto on opposing sides again. They've really been allies more than not.

Not sure how you do that in an Apocalypse film, really.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.