Teaser trailer for FOXCATCHER (Steve Carell, Channing Tatum, Mark Ruffalo)...

2,603 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by israeliag
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
From Bennett Miller, director of Moneyball...

quote:
"Foxcatcher" tells the story of Olympic Gold Medal-winning wrestler Mark Schultz (Tatum), who sees a way out from the shadow of his more celebrated wrestling brother Dave (Ruffalo) and a life of poverty when he is summoned by eccentric multi-millionaire John du Pont (Carell) to move onto his estate and train for the 1988 Seoul Olympics. Desperate to gain the respect of his disapproving mother, du Pont begins "coaching" a world-class athletic team and, in the process, lures Mark into dangerous habits, breaks his confidence and drives him into a self-destructive spiral. Based on actual events, "Foxcatcher" is a gripping and profoundly American story of fragile men who pinned their hopes for love and redemption on a desperate obsession for greatness that was to end in tragedy.

I happened to catch Moneyball on TV again the other day, and was reminded how great that movie is. Miller is a fantastic director, and with Carell venturing way outside his comfort zone, this definitely looks to be something special. I've heard great things so far.

Foxcatcher hits theaters in limit release on December 20...

http://youtu.be/jp_UoCm4y8M

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 9/26/2013 6:40p).]
Rudyjax
AG
Seems like a heartwarming tale.
boy09
AG
I love Steve Carell, but I'm not sure about a serious role.. All I see is Michael Scott.
Sex Panther
AG
Yeah kind of seems like Michael Scott had a bigger budget and filmed the follow up to Threat Level Midnight
TCTTS
AG
Either way, just hours after the trailer apparently prematurely became available online, Fox has just now announced that they're moving Foxcatcher to 2014 "to allow for more time to finish the film." What a weird chain of events. If The Wolf of Wall Street moves to 2014 as well (which it likely will), that's two huge Oscar contenders leaving this year's race. Crazy.
Samsill98
AG
Looks pretty good.
MSCAg
AG
I could see it being a good story, but not sure if Carrell can break out of comedy.
Bunk Moreland
not that it was "breaking out of comedy" but his semi more serious role in Little Miss Sunshine was fine. I didn't see him as Michael Scott at all.
MSCAg
AG
I think at most he could do roles in comedic/serious dramas like Little Miss Sunshine or Dan in Real Life.

That said, what do I know, this might be where he does it.
Btron
AG
Wow! That looks awesome and intense. Great makeup work on SC.
cjg89
AG
Robin Williams went from Mork and Mindy to serious roles, so I think SC can pull it off. He was very good in Little Miss Sunshine.
Jim01
AG
Looks really good. The nose is huge, but hopefully will get past that. Kind of makes him look like a real life Gru.
wildbill12
AG
I definitely think Steve Carell can do it. Hopefully, he will have a memorable performance like Jim Carey in Eternal Sunshine or Bill Murray in Lost in Translation.
MW03
AG

Trailer #2

PSA: Stay far, far away from Wikipedia if don't want the story spoiled.
Professor Frick
AG
I definitely think carrel can break out of comedy. He seems to have a sadness that he can access really easily, and came out occasionally even on the office. He actually kid of remind me if Robin Williams in the way his natural smile seems to hold something kind of depressed about it.
MW03
AG
He was convincing as an ass in The Way Way Back
COOL LASER FALCON
Looks great.

Carell was great in The Way Way Back, so I'm sure he can handle serious stuff. This is a little different though because this really looks more like character work. Will be interesting.
zap
AG
Comedic actors should just stick to comedy. Steve Carrell will flop at this like many others before him.

cr06gis
AG
First thought was Secret Agent Michael Scarn
Frank Sobotka
quote:
I definitely think carrel can break out of comedy. He seems to have a sadness that he can access really easily, and came out occasionally even on the office. He actually kid of remind me if Robin Williams in the way his natural smile seems to hold something kind of depressed about it.
Dude. Spot on with your description of the smile.
Frank Sobotka

That, smiling-through-the-pain that you've overcome. That comforting smile. That smile of eternal hope...
Citizen Reign
quote:

That's a high level of empathy and ability to articulate it you possess.

I couldn't agree more but think Williams had all the tools to work with from day one. SC is moving in that direction.
israeliag
AG
quote:
quote:

That's a high level of empathy and ability to articulate it you possess.

I couldn't agree more but think Williams had all the tools to work with from day one. SC is moving in that direction.
I would say SC has had it from his early days on the Daily Show - pretty much his day one.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.