New TERMINATOR set for July 26, 2015...

44,902 Views | 321 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Summer 2015 is officially RIDICULOUS (and I don't yet know if that's a good ridiculous or bad ridiculous).

Announced as the beginning of a new trilogy (are there any other kind of announcements these days?), there's still no word yet on whether this new movie - simply called "Terminator" - will be continuation of the current storyline or a complete reboot, but I guess it really doesn't matter at this point. I gave up on this franchise long ago, but it is in completely new - and seemingly capable - hands this go around. David Eliison (producer of Star Trek, Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol, World War Z), along with his sister Megan Ellison (producer of Zero Dark Thirty, The Master, Spring Breakers), will be spearheading in conjunction with Paramount Pictures (Warner Bros made the last two movies).

I've already hammered this home in two other threads (for Independence Day 2 and Jurassic Park IV), but summer 2015 just keeps getting more and more insane...

05.01.15 - The Avengers 2
06.19.15 - Assassin's Creed
06.19.15 - Inside Out (Pixar)
06.26.15 - Terminator (reboot)
07.03.15 - Independence Day 2 (aka ID Forever Part 1)
07.10.15 - Pirates of the Caribbean 5

TBA:
- Jurassic Park IV
- Man of Steel 2
- Star Wars Episode VII

Again, the fact that Star Wars STILL hasn't yet set an exact date yet, especially with all this crazy activity over the past couple weeks, tells me it's likely moving. It's just getting too damn crowded. Sticking to my Christmas 2015 prediction for that one.

[This message has been edited by Tctts (edited 6/28/2013 4:18a).]
TCTTS
AG
Ok, new press release definitely refers to this one as a “reboot” and says the trilogy will “stand alone” from the first four films...
Saxsoon
AG
Holy ****
Morpholino
sharkenleo
I don't like the idea of a reboot not involving Cameron.
sharkenleo
Oh, and Star wars is a summer franchise, and that will not be changing. Book it.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Oh, and Star wars is a summer franchise, and that will not be changing. Book it.

Star Wars was a summer franchise when George Lucas and 20th Century Fox were calling the shots, BEFORE the Lord of the Rings movies paved the way for the gigantic Christmas blockbuster. Before Kathleen Kennedy and Disney took over the franchise. I'm not saying summer 2015 is out of the question. But tell me, where on the schedule does it fit? There's just no way Disney sticks it in that Memorial Day Weekend spot. Releasing both Avengers 2 and Star Wars the same month, by the same company, makes NO SENSE box-office-wise.

[This message has been edited by Tctts (edited 6/27/2013 8:24p).]
BillOnCapitolHill
Rebooting Terminator?

/yuck.

sharkenleo
No way Star Wars comes out before May 2016.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Its just a shame that McG f'ed up the last one so badly. There was a lot of potential in that storyline, and I'm a big fan of Bale. Whoever put McG in charge should never get to make another Hollywood-related decision again.
maca1028
quote:
Its just a shame that McG f'ed up the last one so badly. There was a lot of potential in that storyline, and I'm a big fan of Bale. Whoever put McG in charge should never get to make another Hollywood-related decision again.

Agreed! I was really fired up when this movie came out and I will never get those 2 hours back
KeithDB
AG
I love phasers, blasters and evil bug like alien gore. Does that make me a bad person?

[This message has been edited by KeithDB (edited 6/27/2013 9:42p).]
benMath08
AG
whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Dro07
AG
How the hell can you make a reboot?!
TCTTS
AG
Dang it, make that JUNE 26, 2015, not July. I type these things too damn fast sometimes.
big-ag
AG
quote:
How the hell can you make a reboot?!

Seems easy with time travel involved. You send someone/something back in time before the original timeline began, it reboots the entire series. Star Trek did it.
bigjohn1
AG
I am interested to see if the reboot works. A few years ago, I would have been worried about a reboot without Cameron involved, at least on the fringes as a consultant maybe. But after seeing Abram's Star Trek, without Rodenberry, Harve Bennett, or Rick Berman - and those were a great success.

TCTTS-

Not to derail the thread, but I still think that Star Wars is the 800lb gorilla, and will force some of the others to move if they choose to stick with a Summer release.

Star Wars is still a juggernaut, and with multiple generations awaiting this next episode, it will kill anything it is up against the first 3 weeks (and possibly longer) that it is out.
TCTTS
AG
Interesting speculation as to the potential plot...

http://www.movies.com/movie-news/terminator-reboot-june-2015/12695

If 65-year-old Schwarzenegger plays a Terminator, I'm out. But if he's playing some kind of scientist or Connor family member, that could (maybe) be somewhat interesting.

quote:
TCTTS-

Not to derail the thread, but I still think that Star Wars is the 800lb gorilla, and will force some of the others to move if they choose to stick with a Summer release.

Star Wars is still a juggernaut, and with multiple generations awaiting this next episode, it will kill anything it is up against the first 3 weeks (and possibly longer) that it is out.

I totally agree. And knowing now that Terminator is coming in June instead of July, that mid-to-late-July slot is wide open for Star Wars to swoop in. It'll be interesting to see who claims it first, Star Wars or Man of Steel 2. That July 18-20 time frame has been Warner Bros. bread-and-butter for the last two Dark Knight movies + the last Harry Potter. And apparently they want Man of Steel 2 back in that slot as well. Star Wars is absolutely the 800lb gorilla, and shouldn't be scared of anything, but the catch is that Disney (likely) won't put their two 800lb gorillas both in the first half of the summer. So that only leaves late June or July for SW. And yes, any of these movie would likely get out of its way, but why even have to deal with JP4, Terminator, ID42, Pirates 5 or Man of Steel 2 (all likely second-half summer movies) when you can have Christmas all to yourself?

Since the prequels came and went, that mid-December release date has become THE spot for the huge "family" blockbusters. Not only have the LOTR/Hobbit and Avatar movies set that precedent, but Disney itself has put Tron: Legacy and 2014's Tomorrowland in that mid-December spot as well. And yes, Star Wars has ALWAYS obviously been a summer franchise. But the blockbuster release landscape has changed. Look at all the movies listed in the above paragrpah. And then look at all the movies mentioned in this paragraph. Star Wars absolutely sways more toward the latter group, and fits the new LOTR/Avatar type and release model far better than any of the summer fare.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 6/28/2013 2:23p).]
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Love Arnold Schwarzenegger. I've been wishing we had another action star like him for years. I passed on watching the last Terminator, but will keep this one on the radar.
AliasMan02
AG
Terminator has vast, untapped potential. Showcasing new/different versions of terminators a la Transformers (with robot vehicles) or Jurassic Park (with dinos) or whatever is a huge potential upside.

The best unused potential, though, is the Time War. The Sarah Connor Chronicles did a pretty good job of it. Machines and Resistance both constantly sending resources back to try and change outcomes by assassinating people, collecting resources, and controlling key events in history.

I hope the next series of movies happens, at least in large percent, in the future, however. I think a big thing to keep an eye on is how XMFC: Days of Future Past plays out. It's a heavy time-travel/continuity-merging movie. If it plays or bombs with audiences, that could impact how they approach Terminator.
TCTTS
AG
Damn it, now I HAVE to be interested in this movie. Jason Clarke in talks to play John Connor...

http://www.deadline.com/2013/12/jason-clarke-in-talks-to-play-john-connor-in-terminator-reboot/

This is perfect casting.
TCTTS
AG
Also, Terminator: Genesis is a horrible title. Surely the settle on something better.
TCTTS
AG
Speaking of Clarkes, Emilia Clarke - aka The Mother of Dragons - is currently the front-runner to play Sarah Connor. Another great choice.

Why are they making me care?

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 12/11/2013 12:31p).]
Simplebay
AG
Alan Taylor did a better job than Branaugh for Thor. I think he might do just fine.

Honestly....if he just delivers the snippets of Cameron's post apocalyptic vision, its a win. ITS SO SIMPLE-ish, dammit McG. At what point do you think Cameron intended for it to be a boring desert.
Duncan Idaho
clake is too young looking.
israeliag
AG
quote:
Also, Terminator: Genesis is a horrible title. Surely the settle on something better.

I'm going to disagree with you on this one. Any story involving man creating an A.I. can logically be compared to the book of genesis.

Hopefully the title is indication that this movie will dive more into the man playing god motifs... nah, it's definitely just gonna be good ol' man v. robot action.
MGS
So will the sequel be named Terminator: Exodus?
TCTTS
AG
quote:
clake is too young looking.

She doesn't look any younger than this...

jabberwalkie09
AG
I am not sure I like the reboot of the idea... Arnold was, and always will be the ideal terminator for me.....
TCTTS
AG
^ He's still in this movie. Which is the main thing that concerns me. Obviously in agreement that he IS the franchise, but I have no idea how they're planning on using him this go-around. Surely he's not going to be an actual terminator again. Hoping he's just playing the guy they based the model on. Something along those lines...
The Marine Biologist
AG
Clarke shares some features with Hamilton. Cool casting--especially if the other Clarke joins in. I'm pumped for this. I hate that some people would rather franchises die than pursue original stories or continuations. If you don't like other movies in franchises, ignore them. That's what I do with JP3. Color me cautiously excited!
mazag08
AG
very meh
Bed Sores
Love Arnold. Love Terminator movies.
PatAg
AG
This is a stupid idea, imo.
TCTTS
AG
The Mother of Dragons is now - officially - the mother of John Connor...

http://www.deadline.com/2013/12/emilia-clarke-terminator-sarah-connor-role

As long as it doesn't interfere with or delay GoT, I'm all-in on this casting.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 12/13/2013 5:34p).]

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.