November 7, 2014. Christopher Nolan. INTERSTELLAR.

98,201 Views | 809 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by The Collective
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
*** EDIT ***

From page 10 on, there will be no more discussion of the original draft of the script. Spoiler tags were initially used, but even those were keeping people away. Others were having a hard time looking past them. So only general discussion of the movie/marketing from page 10 on.

*** EDIT ***

This project had been tentatively announced a few weeks ago with news of Nolan potentially being attached, but now Paramount Pictures and Warner Bros. have made it official...

quote:
HOLLYWOOD, CA (March 8, 2013) Paramount Pictures and Warner Bros. Pictures jointly announced today that writer/director Christopher Nolans INTERSTELLAR will be co-produced and distributed by the two studios, with Paramount Pictures handlingDomestic distribution and Warner Bros. Pictures distributing the film Internationally. INTERSTELLAR will be released beginning November 7, 2014, in theaters and IMAX

Directed and written by Academy Award-nominee Nolan (INCEPTION, THE DARK KNIGHT RISES), INTERSTELLAR is based on a script by Jonathan Nolan. The film will be produced by Emma Thomas and Christopher Nolan of Syncopy Films and Obst of Lynda Obst Productions. Kip Thorne will executive produce. The film will depict aheroic interstellar voyage to the furthest reaches of our scientific understanding.

Brad Grey, Chairman and CEO of Paramount Pictures said, As a filmmaker and storyteller, Chris has continuously entertained the world with his extraordinary and unparalleled talents. I am pleased beyond measure to welcome him to the Paramount Pictures family. Partnering with Chris, Emma, Lynda and Warner Bros. to release this original idea next November is the perfect way to start the Thanksgiving and holiday movie season for audiences around the world.

Jeff Robinov, President, Warner Bros. Pictures Group, said, Christopher Nolan is truly one of the great auteurs working in film today, and were extremely proud of our successful and ongoing collaboration with him and Emma Thomas. We are excited to be teaming with Paramount, and look forward to working with the Nolans, and producer Lynda Obst, on this extraordinary new project.

... a heroic interstellar voyage to the furthest reaches of our scientific understanding. So, basically, under Nolan's direction, the coolest-sounding movie ever. More details from The Playlist...

quote:
The project has a script from his longtime collaborator and brotherJonathan Nolanand will deal with time travel and alternate dimensions, telling the story of a group of explorers who go through a wormhole. Earning its sci-fi bona fides, the film was developed bytheoretical physicistKip Thorne, and has actually been brewing for years. In fact,Steven Spielbergwas once attached to direct. However, Nolan is using that old script, combining it with an original idea of his own, and giving it a rewrite, so it will be interesting to see the twist he puts on what sounds like a hella ambitious movie.

I've always wanted Nolan to do some kind of hard-core space epic. Hes one of the few guys out there who could really do something Kubrick-esque. Cannot wait.

Interstellar hits theaters and IMAX on November 7, 2014. Seeing as though my birthday is the 6th, Ill go ahead and consider this the perfect present. Thanks, Chris.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/03/christopher-nolans-interstellar-to-be-paramount-warner-bros-co-production-and-joint-distribution/

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/christopher-nolans-interstellar-sets-fall-2014-release-date-20130308

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 12/18/2013 12:22p).]
schmendeler
AG
intergalactic, planetary, planetary, intergalactic.
Tibbers
Op, I appreciate all your threads about upcoming movies, but seriously, do you work for a PR firm or something? Just seems like all you do around here is name drop and tell us about about upcoming titles, which is what PR firms do to gain credibility and pimp out future titles.

Again, thanks for telling us about new movies, but please come from a place of honesty.
schmendeler
AG
i don't get that. he just seems like a movie geek to me.
Morpholino
AG
Looking forward to it.

Thumbs up to TCTTS.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
The reason TCTTS frequently seems to be hyping movies is, I'm guessing, because he likes talking about movies that appeal to him. I don't think I've seen him hype twilight or Gigli. I appreciate his contributions.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Op, I appreciate all your threads about upcoming movies, but seriously, do you work for a PR firm or something? Just seems like all you do around here is name drop and tell us about about upcoming titles, which is what PR firms do to gain credibility and pimp out future titles.

Again, thanks for telling us about new movies, but please come from a place of honesty.

Really? A place of honesty? No, I don't work for a PR firm. I just love talking about about upcoming movies. It's as simple as that. And posters here on this board, for the most part, are more sane and intelligent than most talk-backers and posters on the vast majority of movie sites out there. It's a great place to gauge interest, talk theories, and just discuss entertainment in general, without the typing-from-my-mom's-basement vibe.

And sorry if I "name drop." I live in LA, have friends in the industry, and see celebrities every now and then. I mention those things from time to time to A) help validate any claims I may make, and B) because celebrity sightings are fun. This is the entertainment board. Deal with it.

To everyone else - thanks, guys.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 12/15/2013 3:29p).]
jlb2957
AG
quote:
No, I don't not work for a PR firm

Freudian slip?
Tibbers
Ok, just checking.
BillOnCapitolHill
quote:
No, I don't not work for a PR firm
It still means he doesnt.
TCTTS
AG
Ha, just fixed it. Had "No, I do not," changed it to "don't," missed deleting the "not."

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 12/15/2013 3:27p).]
fightinags2013
AG
TCTTS threads are the best parts of the entertainment board!

Loved your analysis of The Master a few months back. Helped me understand the movie immensely better.

Anything Nolan-related sounds good to me!
TCTTS
AG
Awesome. Really glad to hear that, fightinags2013. Thanks!
Port_Cow Ag 08
AG
The film sounds great. Thanks for the info TC.
Rex Racer
AG
Glad to see the script is by Jonathan Nolan. This will be epic!
Richie Cunningham
AG
What is he talking about? Keep it up TCTTS!

November 2014 is a long ways away but I greatly anticipate any Nolan movie. I may be in the minority but I think my two favorites are the Prestige and Insomnia (although that wasn't written by Nolan). But love them all
GiveEmHellBill
AG
I appreciate someone who loves movies who gets excited about upcoming projects without resorting to cynicsm or snide comments.

That has acutally pi$$ed me off about some of the 'movie' websites: they can't just get exxcited about movies anymore. They have to instead put in comments like "well, I hope it doesn't suck as much as their last film" or crap like that.

I stopped visiting CHUD.com years ago because everything on the site was dripping with cynicsm, rude comments and "look at how clever I am bashing this actor/filmmaker" crap.

Keep it up, TCCTS.
Professor Frick
AG
Tctts is great. Keep it up.
Professor Frick
AG
Oh and it appeared I was giving you lots of **** on that Hobbit FPS thread, but I was being completely sarcastic.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Will someone die but may or may not really be dead?
Belton Ag
AG
I'll watch.

Could it be like Sphere, if Sphere had been made by a filmmaker who stayed true to Circhton's book?
TCTTS
AG
GiveEmHellBill - I know exactly what you mean. The cynicism on most of those sites is ridiculous. Another reason why I like posting here. It's at least healthy cynicism, if that makes sense, and there's genuine excitement otherwise.

Professor Frick - Ha, yeah, I remember that, and saw that you were kidding after the fact. But that thread got so crazy that I just stayed out of there after that. No worries.

Everyone else - again, thanks.

As for the movie itself, I'm definitely imagining something like Sphere, at least in that same, serious vein, only way better. Like - and this is obvious - Inception in space. That kind of tone/intrigue. It's been FOREVER since we've seen a good, serious, space-epic. Something more 2001 than Star Wars, but something that is also tied to legit science/theories.

Also, consider the release date. That's prime Oscar territory. Given that most of Nolan's movies have been big, summer blockbusters, I think this strategy may say a lot about the potential of the story itself. More thinking-man's sci-fi than blockbuster sci-fi. Should be pretty awesome, either way.
schmendeler
AG
or maybe a look at what the event horizon saw when it went through the wormhole?
InternetFan02
AG
I love what TCTTS brings to this board. Don't run him off! Reading his threads basically allows me to not worry about getting this type of news/analysis elsewhere. He's one of Texags' greatest assets
MSFC Aggie
AG
I seem to recall TCTTS coming on here and pimping a few movies that turned out to be duds. But he was man enough to come back and admit he was wrong. I always enjoy his insight...good or bad.
TCTTS
AG
I've pimped plenty of duds (which sounds disgusting), but I don't see how anyone could pick all winners. I'm not psychic, I just really love the marketing, hype and anticipation of movies. When they deliver, all the better.

And thanks, InternetFan02. Much appreciated.
TxAggieIV
Man, if you thought Inception left you asking questions, this should have the potential to really be a mind f*ck. Sounds awesome.
NukeAg10
AG
didn't read any part of the thread, except Nolan will be directing it. i'm in.

[This message has been edited by Kevin Malone (edited 3/8/2013 8:15p).]
TCTTS
AG
Btw, as of now, this is Warner Bros.' 2014 tent-pole slate...

- 03.07.14 = All You Need Is Kill (Tom Cruise sci-fi-actioner, very cool-sounding concept)
- 04.25.14 = Transcendence (sci-fi thriller, Wally Pfister's directorial debut starring Johnny Depp, awesome script)
- 05.16.14 = Godzilla (new version "done right," great cast so far)
- 11.07.14 = Interstellar
- 12.17.14 = The Hobbit: There and Back Again
- SUMMER '14 TBA = Jupiter Ascending (the Wachowski's next, a "groundbreaking" space adventure epic)
- SUMMER '14 TBA = Mad Max: Fury Road (Tom Hardy, Charlize Theron)

WB is just going to be printing money next year. Money that will then be dumped on the front lawns of Christopher Nolan and Christian bale for Justice League in 2015/2016, I presume.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 3/8/2013 9:16p).]
NukeAg10
AG
Nolan and a new LOTR is all i see, sounds good to me.
sharkenleo
Honestly, a lot of those films could very well bomb. Outside of maybe MI4, Tom Cruise hasn't had a spectacular showing in recent years. (Knight and Day, Jack Reacher, Rock of Ages, etc.) I think his star has fallen quite a bit.

The Wachoswkis aren't really well known and recognized names for most people, unless the marketing really pushes the "creators of The Matrix" angle, which I'm sure they will. But Speed Racer and Cloud Atlas really didn't do much in terms of establishing their cred. (And I love The Matrix)

And Godzilla? It's not exactly something people have been clamoring for, especially after the sour taste the '98 version left.

The only one I see listed that is a surefire, billion dollar blockbuster is The Hobbit.
Saxsoon
AG
Alternate Dimensions

I have been looking forward to this and Transcendence. Seems like a great year for the deeper scifi films.
TCTTS
AG
sharkenleo - I agree completely. Most of those could bomb, if not merely break even. Though, it's just the sheer number of tent-poles they're releasing next year that's surprising/exciting. Most studios don't release that many big-budget action movies in a single year. So, there's at least the potential for big bucks, more so than in most years or for most studios. All it takes is for one or two of those (outside of The Hobbit) to be a big hit, and WB will be sitting pretty.
Saxsoon
AG
Well if the wachowski's flop again like Cloud Atlas, I don't seem them being sought after much more.

Granted I really liked Cloud Atlas.
schmendeler
AG
Gimli!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.