GIRLS on HBO...

54,967 Views | 580 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by cone
Inspector Spacetime
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was reluctant to give the pilot a watch because the main characters and I assumed therefore the storylines were going to be female.

However, I gave it a shot because of Judd Apatow's involvement and just a good feeling based on that and the way they've been advertising it since it premiered to the entertainment biz folks. I didn't read too much into the trailers except for the obvious fact that the main character is incredibly unattractive as female leads go. That told me what to expect-- honesty, discomfort (preferably like some of those really dark Michael "Office" episodes or most episodes of "Louie"), and good writing.

I would say that the show definitely delivered on the honesty and writing. And though I'm not a girl or a homosexual male, I would guess that anyone who's been **** buddies with a guy who didn't give a crap about them would vouch for the scene where she's laying face down on the couch trying to get just naked enough for sex before he comes back. I just thought it was hilarious. Additionally, while I'm not a girl, I am a 24-year-old guy who has had a combination of parental support and my own earned money since I was 16-- up until the last year or so. So though I'm not a girl and not still financially dependent, I could certainly identify with Hannah's situation.

If you can't get into a show because you just don't identify with the characters (like my single, childless self and "Up All Night") or you are annoyed by hipsters and people who live in Manhattan/Brooklyn, then the show's not for you. But if you like something genuinely funny and well-written and you're open to watching mostly female main characters then you would probably have a good chance of liking it. It is NOTHING like Sex and the City outside of female cast members and the location.

To sum up-- before the show I set it to tape one instance, but just as soon as it was over I went in and made it a series recording. Give it a try!
phatbc
Much much funnier episode. Liked it a lot
TomHaverford
AG
Hopefully that was less "whiny" or whatever for some people. Ultimately, I doubt it will change many people's minds. I think you either like it or you don't. I enjoyed the hell out of it though- much more raw and funny than Veep, which was more polished but I didn't find as real, which somehow made it less entertaining.
ORAggieFan
For a show that is being praised for realism I'm not finding it real (or funny)

-I have a hard time believing sex is ever that awkward except maybe very early on in a relationship, which obviously is not the case in either

-That chick who is a virgin would only be a virgin if that was her choice, which it obviously is not.

-No way someone as smart as the lead makes that date rape comment on the interview, even if she had a good rapport with that guy.

I'm guessing the show is not for me, but will give it one more episode to see. So far I find it neither funny or interesting.
Btron
AG
That opening sex scene was very hard to watch. That guy is a total a hole...I know that's the point, I got it.
Interview was tough to watch too. I think the virgin is the funniest character with her self help books, and scrap books etc...
I too will give it one more episode. Then I'm out!
Elliot P. Campbell
AG
this one was a lot better than the pilot. only thing that bothered me was that it was not at ALL believable that Hannah would go on with that date rape joke and be completely oblivious to the fact that it cost her a sure chance at a job. no way you can be that stupid, especially considering how her character has been built up

my favorite moment of the episode:
"I don't know what to say...I hit a dog with my car once. I still had my learners permit."
had me laughing out loud, what a great response to the virgin girl

i'll probably keep watching, the writing was just a lot better this week than last week
SlimM
AG
Maybe she subconsciously didn't WANT the job because she felt like a "normal" job would stifle her dreams...so she blew it with the rape joke.?
rhoswen
AG
I like it so far, but I'm a girl. The sex scenes are very real. Maybe some of you don't think so because you only have the perspective from one peenus and you're not an *******. I don't relate to the parents supporting you thing, but the social interactions among the girls is spot on, especially the roommate and her bf of 4 years being a doormat.
Elliot P. Campbell
AG
slim, that's possible, but if that's what they were going for then i think they made that point too subtle. she was absolutely nailing the interview up to that point and then just dove headfirst into the ground with that statement

probably should clarify though - that was the second funniest moment in the episode for me (after the comment i quoted above), it just wasn't at all realistic compared to everything else they've portrayed
Duncan Idaho
Unfortunately, I can say that the interview scene was completely believable. She fancies herself a writer and has been told that she is funny. The interview is going well. They are kind of flirting. The tone of conversation moves more towards two friends hanging out. She just made a joke like she would have made with a friend at a bar. You go through enough "you don't fit in here" or "your personality is too free for this place" interviews and it is pretty easy to forget where you are when you finally click with one.

It's happened to me. I've gotten relaxed enough in an interview and forgot where I was.

In regards to the sex scenes, I have a great "chick-buddy" who was a bit free in her younger days. The scenes looked an awful lot like some of the stories she has told me.

The virgin chick makes sense as well. Some people just can't get out of their way when it comes to having sex. They've built it up and are so focused on making it happen, that they never let it happen.
boogieman
AG
I thought the dirty talk during the opening sex scene was hilarious.

The tanking of the interview was very uncomfortably funny. I think I actually made a cringe face when those words came out of her mouth.

"You throw a great abortion!"

(In response to the virgin confessing) "I don't know what to say...I hit a dog with my car once. I still had my learners permit.
SlimM
AG
quote:
because you only have the perspective from one peenus and you're not an *******.

Aww, thanks Rhos!
DannyDuberstein
AG
I was one of the posters that was critical of certain aspects of the pilot (didn't necessarily dislike it overall, just sort of "meh"), but I definitely enjoyed the 2nd episode.
aggie93
AG
2nd was definitely better than the first. At least this one had some funny moments and I agree about the realism. Part of it is accepting the lead is a complete idiot with no self esteem and her friends aren't much better. Not going to plan my week around it but I'll give it another episode.
TomHaverford
AG
I really, really dig this show. The scene with the gay exbf was nails.
OldArmy71
AG
Are you all aware the same woman wrote and starred in a movie as essentially the same character, "Tiny Furniture"?

Also, the virgin is the daughter of the writer/director David Mamet. She played Peggy's lesbian friend in several episodes of Mad Men.

[This message has been edited by OldArmy71 (edited 4/29/2012 11:44p).]
luggagecombo12345
The jizz in my pants guy made her jizz in her pants!
TCTTS
AG
Such a great episode; one that absolutely solidified my commentment to the rest of the season. It was a small touch, but one of my favorite moments was that peek at Hannah's Twitter feed there toward the end. Also, her dad getting "outed" be the gay ex-boyfriend was hilarious.
Elliot P. Campbell
AG
shoshanna is my favorite character for sure, she's freakin' hilarious. jessa is a close second.

i liked marnie at first but now she's just sort of annoying
TCTTS
AG
Ha, nice catch there, luggagecombo12345. "Cool beans!"

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 4/30/2012 2:58p).]
Elliot P. Campbell
AG
can anyone post what the twitter feed says? my hbo go feed keeps being fuzzy and i can't read the words
aggie93
AG
Alright, now I actually like the show. By far the best episode. The gay ex boyfriend scenes were awesome and actually were the first really funny scenes of the series imo.
aCosmicBandito
AG
The artist that said he 'knows how to do things' is one of the Lonely Island guys.
TomHaverford
AG
Renewed for a second season. Unless one of the girls dies between now and then.
20ag07
"My littlest baggage is probably that I'm unfit for any and all paying jobs.

My medium baggage is that I just bought 4 cupcakes and ate one in your bathroom.

My biggest baggage is that I have HPV, which I just found out today."

"You know what I'm gonna do from now on? I'm going to ask people if they're gay before I have sex with them."

"Well, good luck with that. And don't be surprised if people start asking you if you keep dressing like that. And your dad is gay."

Love this show.

[This message has been edited by 20ag07 (edited 4/30/2012 10:54p).]
jtmoney03
AG
I was also one that walked away with a meh feeling from the pilot but said I would give it another shot. Got caught up tonight and I'm on board. The last two eps have gotten increasingly better.

Loved the interaction between Marnie and the lonely island dude. Must have watched the cigarette scene 4 or 5 times.
SlimM
AG
A normal show would have had her chase after Lonely Island dude and have her way with him. This show has her rub one out in the bathroom.

I love this show.

rhoswen
AG
Well... back to the show being "real"... While what cigarette guy said is mega hot, we do NOT run to bathroom and rub one out. So don't you boys all start imagining this when you're talking to a girl in a bar LOL
Jasomania
AG
quote:
Renewed for a second season. Unless one of the girls dies between now and then.

They won't cancel until the third girl on set dies at which point they will just be telling us about the first two that died.
aCosmicBandito
AG
quote:
Well... back to the show being "real"... While what cigarette guy said is mega hot, we do NOT run to bathroom and rub one out. So don't you boys all start imagining this when you're talking to a girl in a bar LOL

Don't ruin the fantasy for us!!!

And that was a great line. If you can execute a pitch like that with total confidence, it works like a charm. My buddy used a line on a girl recently kind of similar that I was jealous I didn't come up with myself. He was hangin out with this girl and just stared her down for a second and said, 'It's up to you, we can either make out or I can make you cum.' Confidence and a little bit of bravado goes a long way.
rhoswen
AG
Keep in mind if you're gonna do that it has to be the right circumstances. There is a VERY fine line between "mega hot" and "holy **** you're a creeper"
aCosmicBandito
AG
Well yeah. You need to have situational awareness. It also helps if the girl is actually attracted to you.

It's like when a stranger smiles at you in public and they are good looking, you'll smile back at them and it makes you feel good about yourself. If a stranger smiles at you and they look like a fat crazy smelly troll, you think 'WTF is wrong with this person? I hope they don't try to talk to me.' ha
aggie93
AG
rhosen with the Debbie Downer comment. Next thing you know you are going to say that women don't actually take group showers together in high school and walk around naked talking about sex and comparing their breasts.

As for understanding the appropriate times for a line like that one, I think the rules in this video likely apply:

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/sexual-harassment/258532/
SlimM
AG
quote:
While what cigarette guy said is mega hot, we do NOT run to bathroom and rub one out.

NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!
ATM9000
AG
I liked the first episode but wasn't blown away though saw potential, thought the second episode was weaker and really was going to give it 1 more to see what would happen. Glad I watched it... outstanding episode and definitely roped me in for the season.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.