Dubstep concerts

4,934 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by Texaggie7nine
Tennerman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What do they actually do? Watched deadmau5 on fuse yesterday. Does he just dance with a helmet while pressing play every few minutes or is he actually doing something?
Sex Panther
AG
I dont know but they are fun as hell...

[This message has been edited by Sex Panther (edited 2/8/2012 9:51p).]
FtBendTxAg
AG
I wondered the same thing when we followed some floozies to the Bassnectar show a few months back. I can see why people would have fun at them, but it wasnt for me. Sounded like the same song for 2 hours. Not even 3 Marquis II texas teas helped me have fun.

Girls were good, though.
Sex Panther
AG
Deadmau5 is going to be performing with the Foo Fighters at the Grammys. Cant wait to see that.
Texaggie7nine
Most are just spinning their own tracks like regular club DJs. Some do some live production but not many. I have a hard time justifying paying the outrageous ticket prices a lot of these big time producer/DJs are getting these days. But just because they cannot recreate their songs live doesn't mean it didn't take just as much talent to produce the tracks in their studios as regular bands.
Hank Mardukas
AG
quote:
just because they cannot recreate their songs live doesn't mean it didn't take just as much talent to produce the tracks in their studios as regular bands
TXAG 05
AG
Not denying their talent, just that I am more likely to pay money to see someone actually play an instrument and sing instead of paying to see someone press buttons.
Texaggie7nine
I agree on that end. That's why I will probably never see a big time DJ live again. I'm not paying $100+ for general admission to see Tiesto or deadmau5 spin records.

But since people are willing to pay that, I'm not going to complain about promoters raising their prices. Take it while you can.

It's much more difficult for EDM producers to earn $ off their music than regular main stream bands.

MattTheBrave
AG
The majority of EDM artists don't do much on stage production as mentioned before. However, there are some artists (Skrillex, Crizzly) that do quite a bit of improvisational mixing and effecting while on stage.

That said, even if no one EVER did anything on stage, I would still pay for those tickets. The atmosphere and sound systems at those things are undescribable.
MW03
AG
You go to hear the music, but more to see the show. By all reports, Skrillex's show at the Palladium in Dallas was awesome. I've seen a couple of videos, but I don't think it translates. However, I'm sure if you were there with the lights and bass blowing holes through your guts with a thousand people dancing and going ape, it'd probably be a scene.

Not dubstep, but I saw Crystal Method right after "Trip Like I Do" came out, and it was a ridiculous show.
IntercooledAggie
Please don't confuse DeadMau5 and dubstep, but where are you paying $100 for a single act? I saw DeadMau5 w/ Excision in Austin last year for $50, and Skrillex two days later at La Zona Rosa for $35(Tickets sold out very quickly, and scalpers were selling tickets outside for $150 a pop though).

The only time you typically see $100+ tickets are for festivals or NYE events.
Texaggie7nine
quote:
where are you paying $100 for a single act?

Houston.

I'm sure face value was a little less but Deadmau5 GA tix were going for over $100 well before the week of the show.

Same with Tiesto, Skrillex, Bassnectar, Avicii, ect

And no one is confusing DM and dubstep though DM has produced a dubstep track or two. It's all EDM so it all gets lumped in together when talking about concerts.

[This message has been edited by Texaggie7nine (edited 2/9/2012 10:38a).]
IntercooledAggie
Well any major act that is sold out is going to go for 85+ a week before the show. Face value GA prices are typically reasonable($30-60 depending on opening acts), and no different than other type of music genre concert.

Back to the OPs question about them just hitting play and nothing else, the absolute worst offender of that is Steve Aoki. Had free tickets to see him and Datsik last week in Dallas, and it was pretty awful. Datsik threw down, but all Aoki did was hit play, crowd surf, take pictures, and then shut his set down early(12:30 wtf). Most other producers will do some live mixing.
SteadicaTm
AG
quote:
Not even 3 Marquis II texas teas helped me have fun.

Probably won't help unless those were three ecstasy tabs.
Raggy09
AG
quote:

Those a dude's drinks?! You didn't end up on the rood did you? This is all just a misunderstanding I'm sure...
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
quote:

Probably won't help unless those were three ecstasy tabs.

I was going to be a little more subtle but yeah this
MattTheBrave
AG
quote:
Back to the OPs question about them just hitting play and nothing else, the absolute worst offender of that is Steve Aoki.

You're absolutely correct. I saw him and Datsik in the woodlands and all he did was spray like 10 bottles of champagne in the crowd and then crowd surf. His set was still pretty dank but as far as showmanship it was pretty lacking.
Texaggie7nine
Donald Glaude is one of the best at doing active DJing AND running out into the crowd and dancing right along with everyone else.

Bunk Moreland
Pretty Lights doesn't just do dubstep, but I saw him at this show last year, and best I could tell he was tinkering with his stuff at times and doing some live stuff, but it was minor.

Still a ****ing insane show from 3:00 AM till sunrise. Great time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wCgxkQj_Qo

That night we saw Eminem's first live show in 3 years, Lil Wayne, Big Boi, Bassnectar, and Pretty Lights from about 7:30 PM on. that was a hell of a night.

[This message has been edited by Bunk Moreland (edited 2/9/2012 8:05p).]
Aero Aggie
Yeah I think you have to go into it expecting a great experience, not necessarily watching someone make great music live. Granted the only time I've seen deadmau5 or skrillex was at Lolla, so I can see how a single show might be a different experience.

[This message has been edited by Aero Aggie (edited 2/9/2012 10:38p).]
Tennerman
Don't get me wrong, I'd be all over that if I were 10 years and three kids younger. I just wondered what exactly it is they're doing up there other than standing in the middle of a light show.
texag713
I'm a big fan of electronic music but I don't buy the argument that intense preparation of tracks in the studio somehow makes up for playing mostly prerecorded stuff at shows. Weak sauce excuse. Do live bands not spend lots of time composing and preparing content for shows? They still find a way to work together and do things live.

There are plenty of artists that will blow you away with their live skills, and make a point of showcasing them: A-Trak, Glitch Mob, DJ Shadow, Madeon, Crystal Castles does stuff live. Pretty Lights used to have a live drummer on stage, which was cool. Not sure why they got rid of him; looks like he was a casualty of bringing in a fancier LED light show (I'm serious).

Would anyone accept lip-synching? I doubt it. I don't necessarily expect DJ's to be singing or anything, but I DO expect you to display an exceptional level of skill or talent at your shows, and I'm not talking about your Leonardo-DiCaprio-in-Titanic arm extensions or cutesy heart hand signs. For some reason many of these DJ/Producers get a free pass. It seems people just don't put as much emphasis on the LIVE PERFORMANCE part these days. I understand that some of the songs may be too complex for one person, but that's really no good excuse. The shows make enough money to hire people to help out, you know, like real bands that bring on guys just to fill out a touring roster. Nine Inch Nails is a perfect example of this.

Maybe it's just that I'm from an older generation where songs being performed live was the norm. Most of the concert goers at electronic shows these days seem to be high school or college-age kids who just go for the atmosphere (drugs, dancing, light shows, etc). I go to take pictures and hopefully witness something analogous to an electronic "guitar solo" or experience an artist's mastery of the decks up close or on the big screen, not watch some dude bob his head and hover-hand over his cdj while turning random knobs and pointing at the sky. It's frustrating to shell out handfuls of cash for a light show synched to a glorified iPod player.

TLDR: I love electronic music but over-marketing, high ticket prices and low-expectations from concert goers make for an underwhelming live experience. Artists and tour managers need to spend less money on promoting their shows and increase the production value for fans. I feel we're usually getting ripped off.

[This message has been edited by texag713 (edited 2/10/2012 12:38p).]
Hank Mardukas
AG
DJs who sit there and press play (Aoki, as mentioned before) are weak. Artists like The Glitch Mob, Araabmusik and others who actually use MPC instruments to produce the sound on stage qualify as talented performers to me. Skrillex, Aoki and other DJs/producers like them do not have a reputation for being good live performers. That being said, I have been to their shows and would go again in a heartbeat (if it's under $50) because it's about the atmosphere, lights and sound system that makes the experience so special.

There are also a lot of DJs who live mix their whole shows, and they get a lot of credit for doing so. I heard an interview with Sander van Doorn right before he went on stage at EDC Vegas and the person conducting the interview asked him what song he was going to play first, and he said he had no idea. He listens to the act preceding him and watches how the crowd reacts to different songs, then he starts his show and wings it from there. No setlist or anything, all live mixing.

This is Araabmusik performing a huge skrillex mashup of sorts on his mpc at one of his shows. Worth a watch.

http://www.brobible.com/videos/watch/araabmuzik-dubstep-live-video

[This message has been edited by SunDevilAg (edited 2/10/2012 12:59p).]
Texaggie7nine
quote:
I just wondered what exactly it is they're doing up there other than standing in the middle of a light show.

Most of them are cuing tracks and mixing them so that the transition goes smoothly and the 2 different songs match up perfectly so you can't even tell when one song ends and the other begins.

Though that doesn't take as much talent as it does to produce the tracks, it is not an easy thing to do by any means.

As for live being better. I am one of the few that doesn't enjoy many concerts. I put super high quality production over any "personal" touch. If a band cannot recreate the song to the same standards of sound and voice quality live that it was on the album, I really don't enjoy it. So there are very few bands that I would go to a concert to see. I can appreciate jam sessions like Dave Mathews likes to do when it's good sound quality, but why mess with perfection. Pink Floyd I think was about the best you can get at reproduction.

As it is with EDM. You simply cannot create a live song with the unimaginable amount of extra sound mixing, tweaking, sampling, equalizing done to tracks that will sound like the original.

I will only concede your point on singing. I can't stand lip syncing. Because it is pretending to create a sound. I see it no different than if a EDM producer got on stage and pretended to play his track on a synth. Id rather the artist just DJ and dance around on stage and let me enjoy the music.

IntercooledAggie
quote:
As it is with EDM. You simply cannot create a live song with the unimaginable amount of extra sound mixing, tweaking, sampling, equalizing done to tracks that will sound like the original.

While I agree Texaggie, I think 90% of the EDM tracks are better live. If you are seeing a decent artist, Pretty Lights for example, he'll really morph the track into how everyone in the crowd is reacting. Feed Me does an incredible job at that as well.

Skrillex on a large festival stage is marginal, but if you have a chance to see him in a smaller venue he really brings it.

AboveAndBeyond
I keep seeing Pretty Lights mentioned and can't help but ask. I've just started hearing him on Surius but remember a DJ from Auburn that had the same name. Same guy?

And as for pushing play and standing around. I'm guessing Deadmau5's comp crash in the middle of Austin City Limits may have puckered his butt a little if all he did was this.
Exhausted Nihilist
quote:
Donald Glaude is one of the best at doing active DJing AND running out into the crowd and dancing right along with everyone else.

quote:
I heard an interview with Sander van Doorn right before he went on stage at EDC Vegas and the person conducting the interview asked him what song he was going to play first, and he said he had no idea.

Saw these guys on the Groove Cruise a couple weeks ago and SVD in Austin on Halloween Weeekend and they definitely bring it live! Talked to Donald Glaude during Roger Sanchez's set on the beach in Nassau. He is a really cool and humble dude, but he was dissappointed in the turnout for his December show in Houston. Told him I was sorry I couldn't make it that night and that house has a small but loyal following in Houston so he said he'd come back. SVD will be at Rich's March 30. Houston people need to get out and support these very talented, if not super huge acts (like Tiesto, Deadmau5, Skrillex, Swedish House Mafia etc.), so the EDM scene will pick up here and allow us to see good DJs almost every weekend instead of once every few weeks.
nohandle
AG
Texaggie7nine
House had it's day in Houston back in the Club Hyperia days. I think it's still pretty strong in the gay night club scene though.

I'm just happy to see Trance finally taking off the past few years.

And, of course, right as Trance starts to really get a following, Dubstep comes from out of nowhere and suddenly everyone and their mamma wants to go to dubstep shows.

[This message has been edited by Texaggie7nine (edited 2/10/2012 5:13p).]
texag713
quote:
I keep seeing Pretty Lights mentioned and can't help but ask. I've just started hearing him on Surius but remember a DJ from Auburn that had the same name. Same guy?

Derek Vincent Smith aka Pretty Lights is from Colorado.

quote:
And as for pushing play and standing around. I'm guessing Deadmau5's comp crash in the middle of Austin City Limits may have puckered his butt a little if all he did was this.

The blue screen of death was part of the show on that tour. I saw him 3 times that year.
AboveAndBeyond
Sorry, not FROM Auburn but spun there a lot.

And I wasn't aware that the crash was part of the ACL show. I know he put it in for his Ultra set.

Elitest, how was that cruise?! I heard about it too late to even look into it more.
texag713
quote:
House had it's day in Houston back in the Club Hyperia days. I think it's still pretty strong in the gay night club scene though.

I'm just happy to see Trance finally taking off the past few years.

And, of course, right as Trance starts to really get a following, Dubstep comes from out of nowhere and suddenly everyone and their mamma wants to go to dubstep shows.

Trance huh? Didn't that peak a long time ago? I thought its heyday was back when people still listened to D&B and Paul Oakenfold was god. It was always too ravey for respectable places, too. You don't draw in the money crowd with the lazer beam sfx. Upscale clubs here won't play much dubstep either. You can't dance to it. When I go out in Houston I hear a varied mix of HipHop/Electro collabs and remixes, House, 80s, and NuDisco. Each venue's ownership group will usually pick the DJs based on their ability to deliver a certain vibe. I personally like it when they play the electronic/indie dance stuff coming from AU/NZ these days, but I've only heard that type of stuff from a couple particular DJs, and that was at dive bars.

[This message has been edited by texag713 (edited 2/10/2012 5:38p).]
AboveAndBeyond
Oh 79. I've just recently got back into D&B. I blame you
IntercooledAggie
D&B and Glitch is where it's at. Dubstep is getting wayyy too watered down. Don't get me wrong... I'll still rage, but it's not my go to.

Looking forward to the Hospital Records(Netsky + Camo & Krooked) SXSW showcase more than any other show this spring. Top of the game in D&B right now.

If anyone needs a solid EDM/Hip Hop blog to follow be sure and follow thissongissick.com

Texaggie7nine
quote:
Trance huh? Didn't that peak a long time ago?

I wish. The days when Oaky still played trance, there was a complete void in this part of the country unless you went to a rave but even then you were lucky to hear trance.

Some clubs started picking up on it a little back in the early 00's but House was bigger. I saw Hyperia book way more House/Jungle/Breakbeat type DJs than Trance.

Not until about 5 years ago did acts like Tiesto and Armin Van Buurin really sell out a place. Bar Rio and Rich's and Night Culture really helped to that end.

So now when Avicii or SVD and new trance DJs come to town they are mostly getting the following they deserve.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.