* Some of My Thoughts on Moderation - Please Read *

45,522 Views | 536 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by The Dirty Sock
WestTxAg06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brandon, can I ask how you and the other mods go about handing out bans during controversial occasions such as disastrous football games? I received the one and only ban of my TexAgs career during the first quarter of the Colorado game this past football season as, admittedly, my emotions got the best of me and I said a few negative and angry things about our coaching staff and their performance.

I was banned for a full week, and as I painfully lurked over the next seven days without the ability to post, I noticed that there were more than a few posters that stated similar opinions to mine. To the best of my knowledge, all of them either received shorter bans than mine or were not sanctioned at all, save a locked or deleted thread. In fact, several of my friends who are seasoned TexAgs visitors were shocked to hear that I received such a harsh ban. In a situation like that, are there a few of us that end up being sacrificial lambs early in the venting of feelings before the mods become more lenient with the expressing of angry and upset feelings?

[This message has been edited by WestTxAg06 (edited 3/11/2006 10:21p).]
Latrobe
AG
thats strange. On the front page it says that "Webmaster" has the last post. When you click on the time and last post link, it brought me to the last post....made by westtxag06
NeuroticAg
AG
quote:
In a situation like that, are there a few of us that end up being sacrificial lambs early in the venting of feelings before the mods become more lenient with the expressing of angry and upset feelings?

Perhaps the mods were mad too, and decided to take it out on you? Then they cooled down and decided to stop banning people.
WestTxAg06
AG
That thought crossed my mind, NeuroticAg.
91_Aggie
AG
Well, if that is your official policy, then I think someone needs to write Aggietom an apology and humbly invite him back!
Bullpen Chias
LifeLongAg
S
Looks like someone is spamming WatchOle!
WatchOle
Staff
AG
91_Aggie - Not sure who you are talking to, but I will assume it is me. You obviously have no idea why he was banned. I'm sure Aggietom has communicated that it was for "no reason".

b
Jarhead96
quote:
Vibs,

We don't maintain a "target list".

b

not even me?
Mexirab 00
AG
B,
I'm not a mod yet. I am guessing it is just an oversite on your part.

Just thought I would let you know!!

M
TK03
quote:
In a situation like that, are there a few of us that end up being sacrificial lambs early in the venting of feelings before the mods become more lenient with the expressing of angry and upset feelings?

Maybe you should go out and meet people aside from on an internet message board. Maybe then you wouldn't freak out as much.

I got a 2 week banning once for starting an inappropriate thread while drunk - and I had it coming.
NeuroticAg
AG
You mean TexAgs isn't real?
Tree Hugger
AG
My mod logon quit working
Old Style
Not sure if it's been brought up yet (don't want to read all 5 pages), but how about an e-mail when we get banned explaining why it happened. I got a 24 hour ban late Sunday night and I have no idea why. You would think that Staff would want us to know why we got banned so we don't do it again.

[Make sure your email address in your profile is up to date. This is the only method we have to communicate with you. As Brandon said above, we try to use banning only as a last resort, but many users fail to keep their email address current. If we send out a warning or other communication, they often go ignored or bounce back to us. When that happens, our only other choice is a ban. This is why it is important to keep your profile up to date. - STAFF]

[This message has been edited by TexAgs staff (edited 3/14/2006 10:31a).]
Mexirab 00
AG
How about a ban for people who haven't read all 5 pages and asks questions that have been asked?
skran
GAYDAR PEGGED OUT
Old Style
Well, my e-mail is up to date and I never got a warning.
Gil
AG
Hmmm... I saw the remainder of this thread. Nevermind. Back to my non-vicious and fun sandbox.

[This message has been edited by Gil (edited 3/14/2006 5:56p).]

[This message has been edited by Gil (edited 3/14/2006 5:57p).]
WestTxAg06
AG
quote:
Maybe you should go out and meet people aside from on an internet message board. Maybe then you wouldn't freak out as much.

Or...maybe I was just curious as to the thought process behind bannings in a situation that I have experienced?

Not sure that it's even relevant in this situation or why you even chose to comment on it, but my life is plenty fine away from TexAgs.
Dad
AG
My only problem with moderation is on the football board like others have said. It just seems like you get banned for saying one thing and several other people say the same thing and get away with it. I don't even think I'm being singled out because most of the time I'm one of the ones that doesn't get banned but I don't really get it. Hopefully Fran will actually live up to expectations next year and this won't be an issue again. If we have another bad season, my plan is to just avoid the football board for a day or so until I have calmed down when the Iowa State/Colorado/Baylor/Tenn/Utah/Tech/AnyLossFrom2003 type of game happens.

Also, I think skrangeo should either be banned for good or get his old username back. It really bothers me to see this "skran" username all the time.
aggiebylegacy
quote:
So, if I read this right, you approve of your own being banned for posting your own thoughts?

Apparently you misunderstood. He is saying he got banned for posting inappropriate material and that he took responsibility for doing so...you know, like an adult.
Third Aggie
ABL, shouldn't you have responded by inserting your comments into his post?
aggiebylegacy
TA: Geez, you think I would learn, huh?
Jarhead96
CajunAg97
AG
these are the days of our lives....
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
http://texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?topic_id=594548&forum_id=12&page=last#r7585649

erased from existence
aggiebylegacy
Someone say hi to AT, Fleen and Cocos for me...obsession duly noted...LMAO!!

Oh, and gil...get your facts straight.

Thanks for playing.

[This message has been edited by aggiebylegacy (edited 3/15/2006 4:06p).]
TXMUSIC
dgag
I love you Brandon...
aggiebylegacy
And would someone tell Gil to gets his facts straight prior to opening his piehole...thanks!!!

dgag: I love him more...
dgag
Gil and the facts have never met

abl...you probably do....
whiskey02
AG
Good post:

Brandon '95... you should consider posting this one other forums if you have not done so already. I know a lot of people log in and hop straight to the Aggie Football forum and wouldn't think twice about seeing whats going on in the General forum.

I have never been banned or even warned about posts that I've made.... but I would like to think that if I somehow disappointed a moderator somehow, that I would at best be sent to the penalty box with a description of why....other than being banned outright.
AgGrad99
AG
Brandon-

The moderation is fine.......

But how about getting basketball recruits on the front page as well????????
Scuba da Pirate
Brandon--

I KNOW that I have been banned quickly simply due to the fact that I used to get banned a lot. However, look at the last 6 months, and I've behaved pretty good. However, I hate having to worry about a quick banning.
Jarhead96

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.