* Some of My Thoughts on Moderation - Please Read *

45,521 Views | 536 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by The Dirty Sock
Racer X
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I will continue to use whenever I think it is appropriate... democratic moderation.
WatchOle
Staff
AG
Brennus,

quote:

painfully obvious

Let's not blow this out of proportion. Over the last month we’ve had close to 5,000 posters participate (post) on these forums. In that same month 176 posters were affected by some sort of ban on their username. Of those 176 users, 101 of them were posters at the rookie and pro levels – thus, probably previously banned posters or guests coming on to make trouble.

That leaves us with exactly 75 “seasoned” posters that were affected by bans last month. That’s about 2% of the active posting population on this site. So, 98% of the population gets it and 2% doesn’t. That doesn’t seem painfully obvious to me. What is painfully obvious is that there is a very small number of posters that refuse to understand what is and is not appropriate conduct on this site.

I have admitted to areas of needed improvement and I fully intend to work hard to improve them. What is yet to be seen is whether or not the posters that habitually cross the line will stop claiming ignorance and branding themselves as victims and take responsibility for their actions.

B
WatchOle
Staff
AG
Mexirab 00,

Actually, being a moderator is a lot like being in a "Fight Club". The first rule is, "Don't talk about being a moderator!" The second rule is, "Don't ask to be a moderator!!"

Actually, after thinking about it, I can't remember how one got into fight club. I think they had to be asked. Anybody??

B
Mexirab 00
AG
I think they did have to be asked. Or just go around kicking people's butt.

Can I do that instead?

Wow, me speling bad gramer too bad.

[This message has been edited by Mexirab 00 (edited 3/10/2006 1:12p).]
WatchOle
Staff
AG
LOL - that would be a good start!
Cru
S
Here, we'll settle this. Mexi, will you be a moderator?

See, that was easy.

Love,
Cru
Cru
S
Do you accept, Mexi?
Mexirab 00
AG
I would love to be a Mod. Thanks Cru!
Cru
S
anytime.
Apu
AG
B,

If you do decide to give out the mod review list for a user...could I access mine...I would really like to see what I've got into trouble for...and I haven't got into trouble for a long long long time now!

btw...can we atleast have a targets list?
Guinea
we should have a texags 'reality' show and the last one standing gets to be a mod
WatchOle
Staff
AG
Vibs,

We don't maintain a "target list".

b
Apu
AG
Oh I thought texags was like the CIA, cuz then I had to be on the list!

Just kidding!
EMY92
AG
Pick some sane posters that are not habitual offenders and give them some limited moderation abilities.

If it doesn't go to their head, make them a full moderator.

If it does go to their head, ban them for a week. I'm guessing that many quasi-moderators will get a week off.
Guinea
im not a habitual offender
Comeby!
AG
rhoswen
AG
I've never been banned!
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
The main idea of this whole thing is right here:

quote:
That leaves us with exactly 75 “seasoned” posters that were affected by bans last month. That’s about 2% of the active posting population on this site. So, 98% of the population gets it and 2% doesn’t. That doesn’t seem painfully obvious to me. What is painfully obvious is that there is a very small number of posters that refuse to understand what is and is not appropriate conduct on this site.

Actually, what they should do is like that old school game show where 6 posters stand up and say, "I cannot tell a lie; I am a TexAgs Moderator" and the contestants have to guess which one is telling the truth!!
WatchOle
Staff
AG
Frac Stack,

I agree, while I have the ultimate say in what goes on here, I try not to run this place like a dictator - it won't work, nor would I make a very good dictator. There are rare cases when I have had to show someone the highway, but there are even more cases where I was quick to forgive and bring people in off the street.

As far as aggiebylegacy being a moderator, I'll say this once (because I do not want to make a habit of discussing this): she is not one, never has been. Nothing against abl - I say that only to end a long standing misconception.

I find the spectulation about who the moderators are pretty entertaining. For every ten posters thrown out, only 1 or 2 are correct. It's interesting.

B
Ag2005
AG
I'll volunteer to be a moderator. No one even realizes I'm here.
Comeby!
AG
Apu
AG
So can I tell them that I am a mod now?
Comeby!
AG
aggiebylegacy
WO: Don't worry about fs (whoever it really is)...he or she has been in a snit for a long time...in one ear, out the other!

quote:
she is not one, never has been

...that's right - that's our story and we're stickin' with it...
Comeby!
AG
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
Who are you going to believe, the King of TexAgs or some crazy batty cat lady?

KIDDING ABL
Comeby!
AG
Tree Hugger
AG
I'm glad I never told any of these crazies that I am a mod.........oops.
aggiebylegacy
YA: You can call me crazy and you can call me batty but do not call me a cat lady...I loathe those creatures!! :0
Comeby!
AG
Burdizzo
AG
Ah, so abl has a house full chee-wha-whas.
aggiebylegacy
Burd: Yo quiero comer gatos.
Comeby!
AG
DiabloLS1
The only thing I really don't agree with is the moderation on the aggie football board. I understand that recruits may read the board, but I think the football board is overly moderated.

I 100% agree with you on your comment that the site would not be successful without some type of effective moderation. I would behave the same way if I owned the site.

I'll also bet $1 that 3GA is a moderator.
TXAGFAN
AG
I think posting 5+ derivative threads should be a bannable offense. It's annoying and clutters the boards.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.