The Mandela Effect

13,243 Views | 75 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TriAg2010
HustlerAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
You guys ever hear about this?

http://www.newstatesman.com/science-tech/internet/2016/12/movie-doesn-t-exist-and-redditors-who-think-it-does

The Mandela Effect presents itself as things that are collectively remembered but never happened.

For instance, the movie mentioned in the article "Shazaam" starring Sinbad (which is a movie that never existed) or other more subtle things like the Monopoly guy having a monocle (he didn't) or the "Berenstein Bears" (it is actually "Berenstain Bears").

Of course, the "reasonable" explanation is that this is some collective mis-remembering, the more wild theories include parallel universes and things.

Edit:
Here are 20 examples of it for those interested.

Included are:
  • "Oscar Meyer" isn't spelled how you think it is spelled.
  • There is no such show as "Sex in the City"
  • You may think the song "We are the Champions" by Queen ends with "No time for losers, 'cause we are the championsof the world!" ....but it doesn't have "of the world"
  • Curious George never had a tail
  • Darth Vader never says "Luke, I am your father."
  • Mister Rogers song does NOT start "It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood." like many people think.
  • etc..

Edit: More links:

http://mandelaeffect.com/

https://www.reddit.com/r/MandelaEffect/
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
They're thinking of Kazaam starring Shaquille O'Neal: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kazaam
MonkeyKnifeFighter
HustlerAggie
FOUR THIN INCHES said:

They're thinking of Kazaam starring Shaquille O'Neal: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kazaam
If you tell them that, they get very angry and shout that isn't what they are talking about. (read the linked article; some guy who worked at a video store in the 90s swears that it was there)

There are even websites that give the entire plot of the movie scene by scene. (of Shazaam, not Kazaam)

I am of your opinion that it is a collective mis-remembering, but look around; They will have none of it.
HustlerAggie
MonkeyKnifeFighter said:

Alternately, it's empirical proof of the existence of multiple universes with at least one point of intersection in the timelines of the others, or unexplained contact points with a 5th dimension.

Some people (Elon Musk, Neil deGrasse Tyson, etc.) think there is a very good probability we are living in a simulation.

Some of the Mandela Effect truthers think this could be a result of that as well.
Seven Costanza
AG
Someone might remember the Monopoly guy having a monocle because he's very similar in style to Mr. Peanut (aside from the whole being a peanut part).

Someone might remember the Berenstain Bears as being the Berenstein Bears because names ending in -stein are much more common than names ending in -stain.
Al Bula
AG
The Mandela effect is what happens when nerdy idiots have full time internet access.
Sapper Redux
Seven Costanza said:

Someone might remember the Monopoly guy having a monocle because he's very similar in style to Mr. Peanut (aside from the whole being a peanut part).

Someone might remember the Berenstain Bears as being the Berenstein Bears because names ending in -stein are much more common than names ending in -stain.

It was Berenstein, dammit!
$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
It's simply memories blending. I too thought the monopoly man wore a monocle. I double checked after reading the OP. Sure enough, no monocle. So I closed my eyes and made a conscious effort to recall what I remembered. Then it dawned on me....

HustlerAggie
Seven Costanza said:

I tend to agree. I think it is a case of our mind "finishing the sentence" for us and filling in blanks or conflating two events. Regardless, it is interesting.

Pretty much all of the commonly cited ones (Curious George never having a tail, C3PO having a silver leg, Darth Vader never saying "Luke I am Your Father", opening song from Mr. Rogers not opening with "It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood", misspellings of things like Kit Kat and Chick-Fil-A, etc., etc., etc.) can be explained away like that.

The ones with people having vivid memories of things that didn't happen (like vivid details about Nelson Mandela's funeral) are the ones that are a little more unsettling. I think they probably conflated another funeral event from when they were younger or something?
nickstro66
AG
What's the last line of "We Are the Champions"?
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
There's a reason eyewitness testimony in trials is concerned unreliable. Hell, I had a trial where one of the arresting officers was asked to identify the defendant(myself) and even though I was sitting at the defense table with my attorneys he said he didn't see me in the courtroom. The jury laughed.
CrottyKid
AG
Anyone remember the Black Eyed Peas song that said, "Let's get re tarded in here"?
HustlerAggie
nickstro66 said:

You would think "of the world", but it isn't.

It is, however, repeated several times in the song, which is why people mistakenly assume that is how it ends.
$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
HustlerAggie said:

nickstro66 said:

You would think "we are the world", but it isn't.

It is, however, repeated several times in the song, which is why people mistakenly assume that is how it ends.
sam callahan
I see this heading toward a discussion of "Uncover!"
TV Casualty
AG
The monopoly man had a monocle, it was the Berenstein Bears, and the red skittle used to be cherry flavored, dammit!

AliasMan02
AG
HustlerAggie said:

MonkeyKnifeFighter said:

Alternately, it's empirical proof of the existence of multiple universes with at least one point of intersection in the timelines of the others, or unexplained contact points with a 5th dimension.

Some people (Elon Musk, Neil deGrasse Tyson, etc.) think there is a very good probability we are living in a simulation.

I really, genuinely worry about this on a regular basis. Especially when bad things happen.
cisgenderedAggie
This must explain why everyone thinks that Han shot first.
HustlerAggie
AliasMan02 said:

HustlerAggie said:

MonkeyKnifeFighter said:

I really, genuinely worry about this on a regular basis. Especially when bad things happen.
The Nick Bostrom simulation argument is basically either 1) we as humans (or post-humans or whatever) will never reach the technical capability to conduct simulations of this sort, or 2) it is almost certain that we do live in a simulation.
AliasMan02
AG
My big concern is variations of me being the only person who actually exists and being judged by my actions, whether that be aliens or robots or God or whatever.
Ag 11
AG
Out in Left Field
AG
The Matrix has you.

Bleep bloop
GMM
So let me get this straight. Rather than admit that they may have mis-remembered something, people have instead come up with a theory that we have somehow had a mixup with an alternate reality in which irrelevant minutia of 90's pop-culture have been changed or erased from everyone's memory?

How self-centered do you have to be that you can't admit you may be wrong about something despite overwhelming evidence?
TennAg
A lot of simulation pumpers basically base their theories on video game progression. So you'd have to believe that pong itself was a simulation and not only that but the entire time we were ****ing with those damn loose, flickery, short-wired atari paddles our master programmers were laughing their asses off...cause you know, they had the best in controllers all along.
MonkeyKnifeFighter
H.E. Pennypacker
AG
I thought the Berenstain Bears were the Berenstein Bears early on?
MonkeyKnifeFighter
Rexter
It's not the Mandela Effect....

It's the Helsinki Syndrome
TXAG 05
AG
Is this where people think Mandela was a great guy instead of the murdering communist he really was?
toucan82
Cocaine's a hell of a drug
CrottyKid
AG
Jonathan Taylor Thomas said:

So let me get this straight. Rather than admit that they may have mis-remembered something, people have instead come up with a theory that we have somehow had a mixup with an alternate reality in which irrelevant minutia of 90's pop-culture have been changed or erased from everyone's memory?

How self-centered do you have to be that you can't admit you may be wrong about something despite overwhelming evidence?

It isn't about excusing oneself for mistemembering. It is about large numbers of people having the same detailed memories that seem to be inaccurate.
AliasMan02
AG
MonkeyKnifeFighter said:

AliasMan02 said:

My big concern is variations of me being the only person who actually exists and being judged by my actions, whether that be aliens or robots or God or whatever.
Of all of the people that I know, you are one of the very rare few whose life I think would stand up to the scrutiny of such a broad, all-encompassing judgment.

Then again, if there is such an alien anthropological prime directive, I authorize them to yank me out and let me enroll in alien college. I'd love to take Human Studies 101.

The problem is this overlords would surely know my THOUGHTS and who I am on the inside, not just observe what face I show to the world.
Cancelled
AG
1. I never thought Sinbad was in Shazam. I thought Shaq was. But I never saw it, so an S instead of A K doesn't mean much.

2. I guess people think monopoly man has one because of Ace Ventura. I might have said he did if asked, but I'm pretty sure I knew he didn't.

3. The bears one is stupid. It's just a spelling.

One more not mentioned: people think Lector said "hello Clarice". He didn't. Again, I can blame this on Carey. He said "hello clarice in Cable Guy"

And the name of this stupid thing is called Mandela Effect because people remember Mandela dying in prison in the 80s??? Does no one remember the hoopla with moron obama taking selfies at his funeral?! I think the whole theory is based on stupid people...mainly Americans. If the name is based on stupid people, 6$4 theory is stupid.
DrZ
AG
This whole thing is so odd. People now have created alternate universe theories rather than admit they were wrong?
I asked a young guy at work on why they call it the Mandela Effect. "Because everyone thinks that Nelson Mandela died in prison when he didn't !!!!!!"
Do people really think that?
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.