Where did the 3-4 month's salary come from?

17,094 Views | 122 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TxFig
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Listening to the radio this morning while driving to work and there was a girl on *****ing about how she didn't get a very large engagement ring. She said she did the math based on 3-4 month's salary and the guy should have spent 20k on the ring and what she got was something very small. Naturally she was also comparing it to her friends that have received bigger rings. She was going to bring it up to her man over the weekend and report back. Sounds like BSC to me. Even the radio folks were calling her petty.

I spent 4k on an engagement ring about a year out of school which at the time was decent amount of money for me. That deal fell apart due to long distance and luckily I knew the jeweler who actually took it back for nearly full price. Nowadays, I figure I'll just get the small ring and she can get a bigger on our 10 year anniversary or something. Hell my dad didn't even give my mom a ring until their 25th anniversary.
chiken
AG
I wouldn't want to marry anyone that wasn't happy with the ring I presented and could afford. It's a symbol of your commitment, not of your love.
Frederick Palowaski
AG
Tremendous marketing. Probably the same people that got millions to think Grey Goose is a good vodka
chipotle
Get her some engagement wood jewelry instead.
AggieAces06
AG
Sounds like she isn't in it for the man, as much as his money. I hope he takes the ring back and runs.
AgBass01
AG
Screw that, total petty bs. If she does talk with the guy over the weekend and he doesn't take the ring back and tell her to get bent then he is an idiot.
FNG
He should just have them removed and placed in a jar for her to keep on top of the fridge if he sticks with her now.
FIDO*98*
AG
100% Marketing

That dude need to run from that **nt
aTm2004
AG
Yeah *****, bring it up with him. You'll be doing him the biggest favor of his life.

And this salary thing is effing stupid. You need to buy based on what you're able to afford (not fiance) and what you believe she'll like. So your ring is smaller than your friend's ring...who gives a ***** What's the quality of your diamond vs. theirs? My wife's is a smidgen over 1 ct, but it's an IF diamond. Yeah, she has friends who have larger diamonds, but that's like saying their Chevy Caprice is better than your Maserati. Women folk need to understand that size isn't always better.
IDAGG
AG
Yeah that dude should run, not walk away from that chick. It sounds like she is upset that she can't brag to her friends and show them up with a bigger ring. That should set off all kinds of alarm bells.
BostonAg74
My wife has very small, delicate hands, so she said she wanted a small stone in a simple setting. She also has a background in Geology and Gemology, so she wanted the stone to be damn near perfect. Still, she was more interested in how comfortably it fit her finger than she was about what it cost.
Beer Baron
AG
Everything about this beech's wedding is going to be a GD nightmare for everyone involved.
george92
Its in the bible much like that if the 10% Tithe.

Jesus underscored the importance of marriage as a lifelong commitment by referring to the Angel Jegudiel's appearance in a dream of Jeremiah's stating that in order to prove your love for your future spouse, you should spend the equivalent of 3 months harvest as a gift to her to be respected in God's institution of the marriage covenant (Matthew 21:4 - 6a-i).

Also I wouldn't worry too much about the cost. Money won't mean much once your married since your fun days will be behind you and a lifetime of misery is all you have to look forward to as you wake up each morning.
Joe Exotic
AG
My wife told me that she didn't care if I got her a $50 band from Walmart because if she needs to show off a ring she has one on her right hand (she's an Aggie).
HBCanine08
AG
FIDO*98* said:

100% Marketing

That dude need to run from that **nt
Yup

http://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/diamond-de-beers-marketing-campaign

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2015/02/how-an-ad-campaign-invented-the-diamond-engagement-ring/385376/
AliasMan02
AG
Everything about diamond hype/preciousness/value is artificial. Everything.
hunterntexas
AG
I spent about $1,000 which at the time was about a week's pay.
I listened to what she wanted and found a deal.
White gold, ~.5 carat emerald cut, simple.

The ring isn't near as important as some make it out to be.
Spotted Ag
AG
****in stupid ass jewelery. They are god damed shiny rocks that serve no ****in purpose whatsoever.
PrincessButtercup
AG
Diamond rings are such a scam. I don't want one when I get hitched. Moissanite or something is fine.
Talon2DSO
AG
These days it seems more people are in love with the process and not with the person. The process should be ancillary to being with the person you love and loves you back.
toucan82
Just make sure it's one of those diamonds smuggled out of an African warzone. Those are supposed to be the best.
Geralt of Rivia
S
PrincessButtercup said:

Diamond rings are such a scam. I don't want one when I get hitched. Moissanite or something is fine.
How about a Ring Pop?
GMM
If it was on the radio, it must be true.

It was a fake caller, dummy
PrincessButtercup
AG
Wade Winston Wilson said:

PrincessButtercup said:

How about a Ring Pop?
I don't like sweets, but who cares. Sure, ring pop works. If the guy is cool enough.
Sweet Clementine
AG
I have a large diamond because I wanted a bigger stone over a higher quality one. We picked it out together and he wanted me to have what I wanted. He grew up very poor and it was important to him to give me a nice ring.
Everyone's different. Get what makes you happy and what you both agree on. If it's important to the radio caller to have a big ring then she needs to find someone that wants to give that to her. I've only been married for 2.5 years, but we have been through A LOT. If you are not with someone who understands your needs and who's needs you understand, you won't get very far.
Geralt of Rivia
S
PrincessButtercup said:

Wade Winston Wilson said:

PrincessButtercup said:

How about a Ring Pop?
I don't like sweets, but who cares. Sure, ring pop works. If the guy is cool enough.
True Anomaly
AG
toucan82 said:

Just make sure it's one of those diamonds smuggled out of an African warzone. Those are supposed to be the best.
Blood makes them sparkle
PrincessButtercup
AG
Haha a ring pop would be lame. But I really don't want another diamond ring. First experience was so lame and I ended up paying for it. And selling it is a joke. Moissanite is beautiful and cheap. The ring shows you're taken. I don't need it to be a house payment.

BUT THAT'S ME.

Tom Hagen
AG
Quote:

Women folk need to understand that size isn't always better.

Good luck on that front.
Bryan98
AG
george92 said:

Its in the bible much like that if the 10% Tithe.

Jesus underscored the importance of marriage as a lifelong commitment by referring to the Angel Jegudiel's appearance in a dream of Jeremiah's stating that in order to prove your love for your future spouse, you should spend the equivalent of 3 months harvest as a gift to her to be respected in God's institution of the marriage covenant (Matthew 21:4 - 6a-i).

This is a weird post. If it was supposed to be funny, I'd say you overshot the mark by going so far into detail, and by comparing it to a truly Biblical principle. It comes off like you actually believe this, not that you're being humorous.

In case anyone is confused, this is completely made up, and Matthew 21:4-6 deal with Jesus riding into Jerusalem on a donkey.
COOL LASER FALCON
Quote:

He grew up very poor and it was important to him to give me a nice ring.
The true American dream. Learn from being poor that you cannot be happy without nice and expensive things.
Claude!
In a pawn shop in Chicago
On a sunny summer day
A couple gazes at the wedding rings
There on display

She smiles n' nods her head
As he says, "Honey, that's for you
It's not much but it's the best
That I can do"

histag10
AG
Tom Hagen said:

Quote:

Women folk need to understand that size isn't always better.

Good luck on that front.

My ring isnt huge (just under 1ct), but its damn near perfect. It has 1 small imperfection that can only been seen with a loop if you know where to look. I love it, and it doesnt look gawdy .
Human
AG
chiken said:

I wouldn't want to marry anyone that wasn't happy with the ring I presented and could afford. It's a symbol of your commitment, not of your love.

Love is for suckers.
Geralt of Rivia
S

Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.