jet lag

3,841 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by FCBlitz
bagger05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Been home almost a week and my internal clock is still all jacked up. I used to do shift work for a living where I would switch between day shifts and night shifts very regularly. One would think I'd be better at recovering.

Been wide awake since about 2:00.
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
I feel your pain. I've got to get up in the morning for a golf tournament and I stayed up all night drinking.
FNG
Start a Good Morning attention thread
pilot
AgBass01
AG
FOUR THIN INCHES said:

I feel your pain. I've got to get up in the morning for a golf tournament and I stayed up all night drinking.
First world problems
MouthBQ98
AG
If you did offshore oil facility work overseas, you know this feeling well. I did.
Ragoo
AG
I made the trip back from China in 2010. The keys to success are business class, lots of booze and pass out.
OregonAggie
AG
OPs attempt at the humble brag folks...don't fall for this tomfoolery.

[URL=.html][/URL]
Al Bula
AG
Ragoo said:

I made the trip back from China in 2010. The keys to success are business class, lots of booze and pass out.
i tried this on the way back from dubai to houston. drank the plane dry of bUdweiser and took two melatonin... awake for 13 of the 14 hour flight in business class. the flight there i slept no problem.
I Play With Guns
S
I have never gotten jet lag. My fiance doesn't understand it. Hell, I don't understand it.
FNG
I Play With Guns said:

I have never gotten jet lag. My fiance doesn't understand it. Hell, I don't understand it.

It's because you are either an alien or genetically engineered.
Geralt of Rivia
S
It took me 2-3 days to get fully back on track when I came back from Italy last year. I think it would have been longer, but Zzzquil was my homeboy for a few days
bmc13
AG
FOUR THIN INCHES said:

IrishTxAggie
AG
Was on my way back from Korea last year and it was a last minute trip and no business class left.

Solution:
Xanax and two bottles of wine. Flight attendant said they had to actually pick my legs up and move them to the aisle so the *****y Chinese lady in the middle could go use the restroom. Felt like a million bucks when I landed and then went out and drank all day/night for my birthday.
Ag with kids
AG
I'm usually good when I get there, but coming home it hits me a bit on day 2.

My method is to get a couple hours sleep on the trip then stay up till at least midnight. Then wake up at normal time the next morning. Seems to work decently.

Will say my trip to Czech and England last month I didn't get any jet lag...that was nice.
aglaohfour
AG
I Play With Guns said:

Geez, really? Even going back and forth to Dubai? That knocked me on my ass for at least 3 days every time.
I Play With Guns
S
No! It's so weird.

My flights usually leave Dubai around 5:45 am and I arrive in Houston around 7:00 pm.

I'm at work the next day at 6:30 am like nothing ever happened.
Ragoo
AG
RPM said:

Ragoo said:

i tried this on the way back from dubai to houston. drank the plane dry of bUdweiser and took two melatonin... awake for 13 of the 14 hour flight in business class. the flight there i slept no problem.
i ate, drank and passed out. I was still intoxicated in san fran going through customs (no idea how i got my luggage and rechecked it), sitting at the gate half asleep half eating a sandwich and sleeping on the flight back to houston. wife picked me up around 6:30 pm and we drove direct to CS for the KU football game that year. got to town and I was good to go for a weekend of partying.
Line up and wait 18L
Try doing 4 LHR's or 3 NRT's a month as a crew member. Looks good on paper. Not so much in real life.
GoneGirl
AG
Take your shoes off and make fists with your toes in the carpet.
Ag with kids
AG
GoHomeLeg said:

Try doing 4 LHR's or 3 NRT's a month as a crew member. Looks good on paper. Not so much in real life.

Now THIS is how you humble brag...
B-1 83
AG
My sister swears by setting your watch for your destination, and sleeping accordingly.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Jet lag is merely a state of mind. It can be overcome, unless you're weak and want to whine on the Internet.
htownag10
AG
You're a machine
IrishTxAggie
AG
If it will be morning when you arrive at your destination, sleep on the flight. If it will be evening, try to stay awake so you'll sleep when you get to your hotel.
FNG
GoHomeLeg said:

Que?
Ag with kids
AG
FNG said:

GoHomeLeg said:

Que?

4 trips to Heathrow in London or 3 trips to Narita in Japan...
Line up and wait 18L
Ag with kids said:

FNG said:

GoHomeLeg said:

Que?

4 trips to Heathrow in London or 3 trips to Narita in Japan...
A typical schedule would include 3 Tokyo's, 4 London or Frankfurt's. Some will pick up a fourth to Tokyo, not me.
MouthBQ98
AG
Try starting offshore off of Barrow Island WA, then to Perth, then sleep 2 hours, fly to Singapore, then Moscow, then Houston. Just that last 3 hops was 30 hours flying in economy. Almost 42 hours in helicopters and jets over 2 days.

There are guys that do this once a month.
Matsui
AG
My key is being on local time and typical sleep awake schedule asap
Ag with kids
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Try starting offshore off of Barrow Island WA, then to Perth, then sleep 2 hours, fly to Singapore, then Moscow, then Houston. Just that last 3 hops was 30 hours flying in economy. Almost 42 hours in helicopters and jets over 2 days.

There are guys that do this once a month.

If I did that trip I'd be in business class or gtfo...
Removed:09182020
AG
Some of us have jobs that require us to go make money on the other side of the globe. My idea of fun is not sitting in an office park in the British / Chinese / South African version of Plano doing the same work I do at home.

I discovered an elegant solution to jet lag a long time ago. A prescription for ambien, and a workout routine.

IrishTxAggie
AG
I always love giving people the "FU" look after they say, "Oh you travel for a living!!! You're so lucky!"
Ag with kids
AG
ColinAggie said:

I always love giving people the "FU" look after they say, "Oh you travel for a living!!! You're so lucky!"

I travel "just enough" for work.

A couple 2 week or so trips a year. So I go, get used to the time, work and then come back for awhile.

Although one of my trips this year turned into a month...but, I got paid every day and the per diem was high.
FCBlitz
When I travel to the east towards Europe Jet Lag kills me. When I travel west I barely get tagged with it.

When I travel to Vietnam I usually get in around 8pm and don't miss a beat. When I get back to Houston from Vietnam my first day back isn't usually so bad. My third day back is when I am at my worst. I am miserable trying to sleep and be awake.

It takes me two weeks to get my clock back right. Luckily I get rotation time when I am away and use that time when I am adjusting.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.