Do you have a Timeshare?

6,792 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by 62strat
TexasAggie73
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Some timeshares are worthless. You can buy them for a dollar on EBay or TUG. Some have retain their value over time. I can sell our DVC timeshare for $9000 more than I paid for it. We have owned it for 19 years or I can rent it out for twice what my maintenance fee is, which is $1800 a year. I can use my points for a 2 bedroom for a week or get a studio for 21 nights depending when we go.

The purpose for a timeshare is to prepay for your accommodations. Cost for lodging goes up every year and even though our maintenance fee has gone up over our 19 years of ownership, cost of rooms has gone up at a much greater rate.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
62strat said:

Bayside Tiger Ag said:

Seems like Timeshares are pointless in the days of VRBO, AirB&B, homeway, etc. What's the point really?
My timeshare is at a fantastic ski in/ski out resort in Breckenridge. I live in denver, so to someone in my situation, it's a great deal, because as an owner I get to use the resort amenities (underground heated parking, lockers, pool, daycare, etc) 24/7, 365 days a year even without committing to staying a night. So, play hookey on a Wed, drive to Breck, park in the garage, ski for 4-5 hours, then hop in the hot tub or pool, have a drink and lunch, then leave and get home by 5. My only costs are those associated with skiing; none for the use of the resort, aside from food or drinks.

62strat
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

62strat said:

Bayside Tiger Ag said:

Seems like Timeshares are pointless in the days of VRBO, AirB&B, homeway, etc. What's the point really?
My timeshare is at a fantastic ski in/ski out resort in Breckenridge. I live in denver, so to someone in my situation, it's a great deal, because as an owner I get to use the resort amenities (underground heated parking, lockers, pool, daycare, etc) 24/7, 365 days a year even without committing to staying a night. So, play hookey on a Wed, drive to Breck, park in the garage, ski for 4-5 hours, then hop in the hot tub or pool, have a drink and lunch, then leave and get home by 5. My only costs are those associated with skiing; none for the use of the resort, aside from food or drinks.

yeh, that's pretty much how I looked when the sales guy told me I can use the resort any day, any time. I said.. go on??
idAg09
eeinhouston said:

ConsolTigerAg92 said:

We have one at Barton Creek in Austin (Founder's Club). 21 days a year, $6k maintenance fees annually. We book three of the homes each year for a long weekend for a family reunion. We love it. Good golf.

You are talking "annual" costs, but isn't there an initial buy-in cost?

However, just counting you annual costs, you are paying $285 per night night of stay. You can VRBO MANY very nice private houses or condos for that anywhere your want and any time you want, without being locked into one place, one location for eternity.

Do not want.

Didn't the owners club at Barton Creek have an initial buy in close to 100k? The resell isn't anywhere near that anymore, but I think it was pretty steep years ago.
Ag with kids
AG
I just bought one earlier this year. Bought it from an online place.

It's got a home base place (in FL I think, but I doubt I'll ever go there), but it's also through RCI and worth 86500 points. Total price including year one maintenance fee ($800) was $1200.

Already booked 10 days in St. Maarten over Christmas and still have enough points left over for another week in the Caribbean over the summer. Haven't picked out the location yet.

My GF's mom also has 2 timeshares through RCI that we've used in the past. I used these for next year to book a week in Cozumel for Spring Break and we're using it for another week to Grand Cayman in June.

So, with mine, figure 17-28 days in the Caribbean for about $1250-$1500/year...not a bad deal.

We try not to pick places that are All Inclusive though since the fees typically are ridiculous.

May try Europe in summer of 2018 for one of our trips...
malibu9in1
I just feel like spending $300 a month or whatever on something I can't use when I want to is kinda ugh. My folks had one for 15 years? They're house still isn't paid for.
Ag with kids
AG
malibu9in1 said:

I just feel like spending $300 a month or whatever on something I can't use when I want to is kinda ugh. My folks had one for 15 years? They're house still isn't paid for.
If you get one through RCI you CAN use it whenever you want.

You exchange the points and go wherever you want. That's how mine works.

And I only spend $80/mo.

I WILL say to NEVER EVER EVER buy one new though.

Got a free trip from Wyndham to Destin over spring break. Had to listen to the timeshare spiel as my penance. ****ers wanted $120,000 for a property worth about 120,000 RCI points. I bought my 86,500 RCI points for about $400 online.
62strat
AG
malibu9in1 said:

Old school timeshares are fixed weeks, sometimes fixed locations. my parents bought one in Aruba back in the 90s, and have gone every year the exact same week. For many people this is too restrictive.

They are much different now. Most are a floating week, and can be traded to anywhere. Some are point system, so it's worth so many points, and based on desirability. If you have a very desirable location (like a ski resort), your one week can turn into 2 or 3 or more weeks at places with lower desirability. Ours is just a straight week, which can trade for a straight week. (or use it at breckenridge, where we bought it)

Our yearly HOA is $600. Far cry from $300 a month.

I'll say again, if your timeshare home base is a location you can visit often, and the location allows owners to use the amenities anytime, I think that has a lot more value compared to one you only go to for your 1 vacation.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.