Do you have a Timeshare?

6,794 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by 62strat
BombayAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
i was listening to a radio commercial saying how they will get you out of a timeshare.

i was in Maui and wanted to buy tics for stuff and the agent says if you sit through a seminar you can get stuff for free. It was raining all day so we said sure. then we sat through their crap and did not sign (damn you stingy indians!!) and then got the free stuff.

then i came to the hotel and read that people get stuck in this forever.
PrincessButtercup
AG
Goodness your threads are awful.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Timeshares are for lolpoors. This is TexAgs. We all have our own beach houses.
Geralt of Rivia
S
I'm not wearing any pants
Tatem
Wade Winston Wilson said:

I'm not wearing any pants

but you are probably wearing a mask
always gig em
AG
No timeshare

Cuz momma said so
Geralt of Rivia
S
That's only when I take pictures for TexAgs
Zemira
AG
Okay my threads are bad but I think yours are worse.
Geralt of Rivia
S
F'n A, chica, F'n A!
leanderag82
AG
I own several weeks in Hawaii. Hawaii is one of the few places it might makes sense to own. I would NOT buy from the hotel/resort. I would buy on secondary market & only in a brand name resort.
FNG
I know of one on Conroe for sale.
Ragoo
AG
My parents kind of have one. It is really just 12 families that own a condo and there is a rotating schedule over 12 years. Each family gets like 4-5 weeks a year. All self managed though.
HBCanine08
AG
PrincessButtercup said:

Goodness your threads are awful.
malibu9in1
Seems like a waste of money.
eeinhouston
leanderag82 said:

I own several weeks in Hawaii. Hawaii is one of the few places it might makes sense to own. I would NOT buy from the hotel/resort. I would buy on secondary market & only in a brand name resort.
Can you provide the size of place and total cost per year.
Skillet Shot
Are you looking for gas stations or donut shops?
histag10
AG
My parents own one on Lake Tahoe. It gets used a lot, and can be transferred to another resort elsewhere if we want, but we all really enjoy Lake Tahoe
True Anomaly
AG
BombayAg
is it true that those are almost impossible to get rid of?

is it true that if you do find a buyer, you have to sell at a steep discount?

they made it sound like you are part of a network and can "vacation" at any of their locations around the world 'x' times a year.

george92
BombayAg said:

they made it sound like you are part of a network and can "vacation" at any of their locations around the world 'x' times a year.

Don't listen to these naysayers. Timeshares are a great deal. You basically get multiple second homes for a low cost. They usually come with sister properties that can be used. You save tons of money on travel and know the accommodations in advance. And they are yours. You own it. You would be a bigger moron than we already think of you if you don't get one of these.
combat wombat™
AG
MOST people who buy timeshares make bad financial decisions, IMO.
TexasAggie73
AG
Have two timeshares, one in Hawaii on the big island and the other at Walt Disney World (DVC) which I can sell for more than I paid for it dued to ROFR. There are a few good timeshares out there by Hyatt, Marriott and Disney, but if I was going to buy another timeshare I would do it on the resale market. Someone can save a lot of money that way, but the perks offered by the developer to buy direct to not there.
GoneGirl
AG
My mother in law had one that they tried to make us keep when she died. We got all lawyery on them and they backed off.

But she's been dead for 13 years and we still get mail from places trying to buy or sell her a new one.

We got one in the Caribbean for her that said "Restore your body, rejuvenate your soul..." My husband wanted to call them and ask if they really could bring his mother back from the dead.
ConsolTigerAg92
AG
We have one at Barton Creek in Austin (Founder's Club). 21 days a year, $6k maintenance fees annually. We book three of the homes each year for a long weekend for a family reunion. We love it. Good golf.
Joe Exotic
AG
Seems like Timeshares are pointless in the days of VRBO, AirB&B, homeway, etc. What's the point really?
CajunAg97
AG
Timeshares are a ripoff
combat wombat™
AG
ConsolTigerAg92 said:

We have one at Barton Creek in Austin (Founder's Club). 21 days a year, $6k maintenance fees annually. We book three of the homes each year for a long weekend for a family reunion. We love it. Good golf.
You could probably rent a fantastic house for this and have the flexibility to change your mind if you were not in a timeshare.
Joe Exotic
AG
Exactly. I have a friend with 3 or 4 Marriott vacation club "timeshares". For what he pays in "maintenance fees" you could find some pretty awesome homes and condos on VRBO.
combat wombat™
AG
Bayside Tiger Ag said:

Exactly. I have a friend with 3 or 4 Marriott vacation club "timeshares". For what he pays in "maintenance fees" you could find some pretty awesome homes and condos on VRBO.
I have a friend who is in one, too. She actually uses it, at least, a bunch of folks do not. But for what she pays in monthly fees she could stay in some nice hotels/cabins/houses/condos/cottages.
eeinhouston
ConsolTigerAg92 said:

You are talking "annual" costs, but isn't there an initial buy-in cost?

However, just counting you annual costs, you are paying $285 per night night of stay. You can VRBO MANY very nice private houses or condos for that anywhere your want and any time you want, without being locked into one place, one location for eternity.

Do not want.
Geralt of Rivia
S
My parents have an RCI timeshare. I'm not sure what the annual fee is, but I know the week exchange program charges $150 for the week wherever you stay. Now that they are retired, they use it about 5 times per year. They are in Port Aransas right now, and have used it this year for a week in east TN, Munich, Prague, and Miami in addition to their normal week in Vegas.
62strat
AG
Bayside Tiger Ag said:

Seems like Timeshares are pointless in the days of VRBO, AirB&B, homeway, etc. What's the point really?
My timeshare is at a fantastic ski in/ski out resort in Breckenridge. I live in denver, so to someone in my situation, it's a great deal, because as an owner I get to use the resort amenities (underground heated parking, lockers, pool, daycare, etc) 24/7, 365 days a year even without committing to staying a night. So, play hookey on a Wed, drive to Breck, park in the garage, ski for 4-5 hours, then hop in the hot tub or pool, have a drink and lunch, then leave and get home by 5. My only costs are those associated with skiing; none for the use of the resort, aside from food or drinks.

We also get very deep discounts on unsold rooms, which is great in lower demand times, like summer and fall. I can get a suite in the summer for wife and I for about $59 a night, or a 1 bedroom for us and kids for about $79. That is easily cheaper than any place in town, and this is a 5 star resort on the mountain. We've used this benefit about 4 times now in two years. Twice in winter, once each in summer and fall. Even winter is dirt cheap, $99 for a 1 bedroom.. for a ski in ski out resort. We weren't even skiing! Just a weekend getaway in mid january. The walk in rate for a January weekend is $300+ a night.

All this is in addition to my guaranteed week there, or I can trade my week in to interval international and use the week any where in the world at once of there resorts. We also get to do updates once a year, basically a 2 hour sales pitch for their new properties. In return we get $100 credit at the resort. We've done it every year now. They'll give you a lift ticket in lieu of $100 in winter season. Even better deal.

So, no, not all timeshares are created equal. This is far from a rip off or pointless. I feel like what I have has great value. However, if I did not live within driving distance of my home resort, I do tend to agree that a timeshare may not be worth it.

62strat
AG
TxElsie said:

My mother in law had one that they tried to make us keep when she died. We got all lawyery on them and they backed off.

Uhh.. you got ripped off. My timeshare is a deeded piece of real estate. When I die, it will go to my kids, who can sell if they choose and pocket the $20k or $30k they'd get (today's value) Or they could keep it and pay the dues, which is currently about $600 a year, and actually use it.

So, your MIL paid money for a timeshare, which depreciated 100% down to a big fat $0, because you got all lawyery, so they took it back and resold it.

This of course all depends on desirability of location of timeshare. If your MIL had one in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, then yeh maybe you made the right decision.
ConsolTigerAg92
AG
eeinhouston said:

ConsolTigerAg92 said:

You are talking "annual" costs, but isn't there an initial buy-in cost?

However, just counting you annual costs, you are paying $285 per night night of stay. You can VRBO MANY very nice private houses or condos for that anywhere your want and any time you want, without being locked into one place, one location for eternity.

Do not want.
They are big homes. We routinely have 30 plus show up every year. Everyone drives in so very convenient. Golf is great and we get discounted rates. Works for us. Initial outlay was much lower than you would expect. We actually like going back to the same place every year for the reunion.
BombayAg
george92 said:

BombayAg said:

Don't listen to these naysayers. Timeshares are a great deal. You basically get multiple second homes for a low cost. They usually come with sister properties that can be used. You save tons of money on travel and know the accommodations in advance. And they are yours. You own it. You would be a bigger moron than we already think of you if you don't get one of these.

georgie porgie has convinced me to buy a time share. No, not one but many!

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.