Colin K and High School Football team protest

6,396 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by GMM
MarathonAg12
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Players lie down on the sideline with hands up while Colin takes a knee.

http://www.esquire.com/sports/news/a48887/kaepernick/
Joe Exotic
AG
What a bunch of millennial dumb *****.
MarathonAg12
unsportsmanlike conduct
45-70Ag
AG
Every single last one of them should be suspended.
SlackerAg
AG
Lib work ethics
nai06
AG
quote:

For what? On what grounds?
Tanya 93
quote:
For what?
Fonzie Scheme
AG
If the school has any balls they'll thank them for exercising their collective First Amendment rights while simultaneously suspending them for the next game for "conduct unbecoming of a student athlete" while in the public eye.
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
quote:

Students have less protections under the first amendment while on school grounds/participating in school sanctioned activities.

Prominant SCOTUS cases on the issus:

[ol]
  • The extent to which the student speech in question poses a substantial threat of disruption (Tinker v. Des Moines Indep. Cmty. Sch. Dist.).
  • Whether the speech is offensive to prevailing community standards (Bethel School District v. Fraser).
  • Whether the speech, if allowed as part of a school activity or function, would be contrary to the basic educational mission of the school (Hazelwood v. Kuhlmeier).
  • [/ol]
    reb,
    AG
    quote:
    quote:
    quote:

Students have less protections under the first amendment while on school grounds/participating in school sanctioned activities.

[ol]
  • The extent to which the student speech in question poses a substantial threat of disruption (Tinker v. Des Moines Indep. Cmty. Sch. Dist.).
  • Whether the speech is offensive to prevailing community standards (Bethel School District v. Fraser).
  • Whether the speech, if allowed as part of a school activity or function, would be contrary to the basic educational mission of the school (Hazelwood v. Kuhlmeier).
  • [/ol]

Boom, lawyered.
    HBCanine08
    AG
    quote:
    quote:
    quote:

[ol]
  • [/ol]

HBCanine08
    AG
    Damn it, reb,
    Tanya 93
    The link still doesn't explain why they should be suspended.
    Broncos
    quote:

For being un-American. That's why.
    reb,
    AG
    quote:
    Damn it, reb,

Boom, ninja'd
    Tanya 93
    quote:
    quote:

I find it un-American to be against free speech.
    Broncos
    A bunch of high schoolers lying on the ground isn't free speech. They're doing it because it's the "cool thing to do". They don't know what they're "protesting". They're doing it because their brainwashing coaches are telling them to and because their hero NFL players are doing it. I guarantee if you ask them why they are laying on the ground during the National Anthem that 99% of them won't be able to give a valid answer.
    Hey Nav
    AG
    HS football players show you how it's done.
    Beer Baron
    AG
    quote:
    A bunch of high schoolers praying before a game isn't free speech. They're doing it because it's the "cool thing to do". They don't know what they're "praying for". They're doing it because their brainwashing coaches are telling them to and because their hero Tim Tebow does it. I guarantee if you ask them why they are praying before the game that 99% of them won't be able to give a valid answer.

Broncos
    Haha
    45-70Ag
    AG
    quote:
    quote:
    quote:

This isn't college or the NFL. They can protest in other ways but in this setting, forget it.

We would yank a kid out of the game ourselves and suspend him if the coach wouldn't.
    Macarthur
    quote:
    A bunch of high schoolers lying on the ground isn't free speech. They're doing it because it's the "cool thing to do". They don't know what they're "protesting". They're doing it because their brainwashing coaches are telling them to and because their hero NFL players are doing it. I guarantee if you ask them why they are laying on the ground during the National Anthem that 99% of them won't be able to give a valid answer.

I think that's pretty narrow. I've got HS age kids and I can tell you, for all the youngster bashing, kids these days are pretty smart.

Sure, there are some dumbasses like always, but I find that they are more dialed in then I was at that age.
    UnderoosAg
    AG
    quote:

It's the new ice bucket challenge.
    BurnetAggie99
    I agree 100%
    Cancelled
    AG
    quote:
    quote:
    quote:

Me too, but I would bet that you wouldn't be so supportive of my saying some of the things I could think up to say about your ilk.
    rwtxag83
    AG
    quote:
    quote:
    quote:

So you'd be proud of your kid if they did that? You'd encourage them to repeat that, only maybe with even more emphasis on the extreme? I mean, it is free speech after all.
    Ragoo
    AG
    Speech may be free but not without consequences.
    Ghost91
    quote:
    Nailed it. Such fake outrage foolishness. Six months ago, they were all standing for the anthem at a baseball game without a thought about any of this. Suddenly a backup dipsh*t QB does it and "starts a conversation" and now it's ZOMG UBER KEWL.

If any Ag players did this, I'd get up and walk out of Kyle. And yes, Tanya, I know they wouldn't care.
    Amazing Moves
    Tanya 93
    quote:
    quote:
    quote:
    quote:

So you'd be proud of your kid if they did that? You'd encourage them to repeat that, only maybe with even more emphasis on the extreme? I mean, it is free speech after all.

Hell no.

But he shouldn't be suspended from school for it.
    Ragoo
    AG
    quote:
    quote:
    quote:
    quote:
    quote:

Hell no.

ride the pine for sure.
    rwtxag83
    AG
    quote:
    quote:
    quote:
    quote:
    quote:

Hell no.

If my kid did this, I would have a little talk with the coach about how the child's mother and I have decided that a multiple game suspension is in order, and if this means he's off the team, so be it. Actions like these are an embarrassment.
    nai06
    AG
    quote:
    quote:
    quote:

[ol]
  • [/ol]

No of those would apply to these kids. If anything they support their right to do this.

tford12
    AG
    quote:
    quote:
    quote:

[ol]
  • [/ol]

JABQ04
    AG
    Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.