what to do with brother's aggie ring

4,062 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by coupland boy
PippAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
hi...my brother died in january; i have his aggie ring.

for some reason i thought donating it to the university was an option, do they do that? i did a quick google search but couldn't find anything. anyone have any information on how to go about it? i don't want to sell it, obviously, and have my own...just feel like i'd like to pass it on to someone who's earned one but is having trouble paying for their own. is that weird?

Kenneth_2003
AG
I don't think there is a "specific" program for something like this. I want to say this has come up before however.
I think about the only way to do it would be Balfour's recasting option. They will take a ring that has been damaged beyond repair and re-pour it for you. You're obviously not getting your original gold back since they're made in fairly large batches, just getting credit for the gold you're sending them.
george92
I wouldn't rush to do anything Pippa. Just curious, are you married? Do you have children? How close were you with your brother?

The reason I ask is that these rings are so special and if it were me, I would want to make a sentimental use of the ring. For example, if I had a son or daughter that was going to A&M eventually, I would hold onto it and then use it to either re-do (if possible) or make into another ring and make it a point to let the person know that this was his or her uncle's ring and now its theirs.

Another option, as a way to honor your brother, would be to make it into another piece or pieces of jewelry.

Or you could just do as you suggest, and help someone in need. Just don't rush until you have considered all of the alternatives.

Lastly, if its one of those antiqued finished rings, you might just want to throw it in the garbage. j/k, give it to someone in need.
JSKolache
AG
Hang on to it
Corps_Ag12
AG
Call the association & talk to them about it. They may already have his class year though on display.
george92
You basically said what I said in 4 words. Great technical writing right there.
hunterntexas
AG
quote:
Call the association & talk to them about it. They may already have his class year though on display.

Also, they have dealt with this and may have other options that you haven't considered.
T&P
AgsMnn
AG
Hold on to it

Second for this option.

If you get married, get it cast as your band. This is something you have from your brother.

You might have a son one day and it can be his.

Wait though another year first before you make a decision though.

Fonzie Scheme
AG
Just save it. My grandmother -- who will be 89 soon -- had a brother killed in the Battle of the Bulge. He wasn't an Aggie. But, something tells me he was still a brave SOB. If I had something to remind me of him? Words escape me. Beyond tremendous or fantastic or great or wonderful.

That ring is the man's legacy. Preserve it. Just my two cents.
Ragoo
AG
OP you are an Aggie, what would you want done with your ring?
Aero95
AG
If it were me, I'd mount it in a shadow box frame with a pic of him. Maybe other Aggie trinkets of his such as corps brass if you have anything like that.

Sorry for your loss.
vin1041
AG
OP sorry for your loss. I would hang on to the ring for a while longer.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
tough thread.

agreed on the "just hang on to it for now" sentiment.
PippAg
AG
quote:
OP you are an Aggie, what would you want done with your ring?
i am, and i loved my time at aggieland and my ring. if i died i'd want it donated to someone who could use it. hanging on to his just seems...wasteful. it's not like i can wear it, it would just sit in a drawer.

i'm married, we don't have kids (and won't) so i'm trying to find a good home for his--brother wasn't married and didn't have kids either. don't know anyone who'd want it (my aggie friends have their own).

thanks for the kind words and help, all. it's been a tough year. i'll figure something out.
Doctor Rosenrosen
AG
Being that both you and your brother are Ags, I would keep it in your Aggie family. And, I'm sorry.
george92
quote:
If it were me, I'd mount it in a shadow box frame with a pic of him. Maybe other Aggie trinkets of his such as corps brass if you have anything like that.

Sorry for your loss.
This is a great idea as well. We did this for my father-in-law. He has been unable to wear his ring for years because of a scar on his finger. He gave it to one of my brother-in-laws because he had lost his ring years ago and never replaced it. They surprised him with it at his 80th birthday party.

85Photon
AG
T&P, sorry for your loss.
If you want donation options, the association we are referring to is the Association of Former Students.
GinaLinetti
AG
Mount it in a shadow box with other memorabilia
TecRecAg
AG
Out of curiously, why wasn't he buried with it?
javajaws
AG
Even though you have your own (and because you have the right to wear one)...have his resized to fit you and wear it in his honor.
PippAg
AG
quote:
Out of curiously, why wasn't he buried with it?
cremated.
Geralt of Rivia
S
Keep it. If you really want to help somebody out with one in the future then maybe there will be another family member or friend of the family that would need help to afford their Aggie ring.
BombayAg
quote:

for some reason i thought donating it to the university was an option, do they do that? i did a quick google search but couldn't find anything. anyone have any information on how to go about it? i don't want to sell it, obviously, and have my own...just feel like i'd like to pass it on to someone who's earned one but is having trouble paying for their own. is that weird?

Keep it as a memento to your brother.
If you give it someone else, they don't have the same value for it that you will have.
The Fife
quote:

Being in the same position with my brother, who died unmarried and had no kids I decided to keep it as part of his memory. He was big into gaming but his ring is something that will stay the same as the years go by.
aggieforester05
AG
Keep it, one if my cousins hadr my great grandfather's class of '29 ring. I've never seen it, but it sure is cool to know it's still in the family. Your kids/grandkids might feel the same some day.
Sweet Clementine
AG
I would keep it. If you feel the need to help someone get their ring, maybe you could make a donation in your brother's name.
I'm sorry for your loss.
Liquid Wrench
I think it's sweet of the OP to want to donate it or share in some way. I would just check with AFS directly. There's no rush in deciding what to do with it.

She said it's been a "tough year," I'm sure she's thought through this and has a lot of ways of remembering her brother besides the ring.
OnlyForNow
AG
Keep it, but maybe start a ring fund in his memory to give an Aggie the chance to have a ring who can't afford it.
coupland boy
AG
Sorry for your loss OP. You'll figure it out and do the best thing. Some good advice in the above posts.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.